Pros/ Cons of the Roll call...

Anyone ever had a great ( or awful ) experience with meeting members of their roll call?

I posted on my cruise's roll call board.. and everyone seems nice enough..

However, the "meeting" discussions are panning out to NOT be something I am interested in...

Not sure if this is a "part of cruising" I should experience ...

or if I would be better off on my own..

Anyone ever had a great ( or awful ) experience with meeting members of their roll call?

I posted on my cruise's roll call board.. and everyone seems nice enough..

However, the "meeting" discussions are panning out to NOT be something I am interested in...

Not sure if this is a "part of cruising" I should experience ...

or if I would be better off on my own..

My roll call was very friendly. We had a pretty low-key meeting on board (just one) and not everyone attended. We paid something like $18 to get some bar snacks and a bartender (paid for our own drinks) and just had a cocktail hour. It was nice to meet people face to face. It didn't seem forced or anything like that, but I still talk to one person I met during meet and greet and hope to sail with them again some day.

Some roll calls are more active than others (my current one hasn't brought up a meet and greet yet).

I did a roll call on Royal Caribbean that was "meh," but our last one on the Legend was fun, made friends I still keep in contact with. Our roll call for our upcoming cruise on the Pride is promising. The people there seem nice and we're having a good time anticipating. We did have some people on our last one (Legend) that were, well, not exactly my cup of tea (and one who was so cool during roll call, on the road trip, etc but once on the ship, turned into a binge drinking, rude jerk). I found it fun to have people to talk to and look forward to the trip and once onboard, it's nice to recognize people and chat a little. Plus, we rounded out an excursion on Roatan so that we all got a cheaper price on our tour, so that worked out well!

Seems like each roll-call is different. Had a great experience with my March 2011 roll-call....even met up with a couple posters for dinner the night before the cruise and 'hung' out with them several times during the cruise. Had a good Meet/Greet on boarding day. Then, December, 2011....luke warm roll-call. Had a meet/greet scheduled and only 2 of us showed up!! March 2012 was sort of in between the previous 2!!

Now, for next year's cruise..... have a great roll-call so far and already have plans to meet some for dinner the night before the cruise!!

I enjoy meeting new people.... Part of the experience. Some are more desireable to continue associating with than others...

Go with your gut!!

I figure, for most cruisers, the highlight of their trip is meeting me!:D

Seriously, we've had great roll calls all 6 or 7 times we've done them with one exception: The Meet consisted of our fam of 4 plus a friend, 2 other couples with a teen. I knew the one family but had never heard of the other family, even thought he dad insisted he had posted regularly on our roll call. Came back home and found out I was right, don't know what he was thinking....

Also, we didn't have much in common. I told him we had 2 party boats lined up as excursions; he was treating his family to historical walks on the islands we were visiting.

We had a great roll call for our last cruise. Met some life long acquaintances. Just remember people are different than what you are picturing them to be. I got a couple of shocks. The main one being, for some reason I had a roll call member pictured as female but he turned out to be very male. Don't know why I had them pitured as female. It worked out in the end.

For our next cruise we have a pretty good roll call going. We have meet & greet planned along with a few other group activities. The advice I would give is: it won't hurt to join the meet & greet, you may find people you really connect with. And if not, you just stop in say hello & be on your way. No harm done. For us, one of the fun things about cruising is meeting new people & getting out of our comfort zone socially.

The awful experience I had with our last roll call was: we met some really great people, connected very well on the cruise with plans to connect after. Then I never heard from them again & wonder what I did wrong or if they are ok.

Looks like this is your first cruise

Roll calls are a nice way to "meet" experienced cruisers and get tips. You can find out what they are doing at each port, if they have any advice about making your cruise more enjoyable.

If you dont really click with anyone, dont feel compelled to do the M&G. If you are somewhat curious, you can go, stay for a little while and leave. Unless its a paid function, most dont stay for more than 15-30 mins.

Meet a great couple on our roll call in 2009. Had a pre M & G at our hotel the night before.

Have become very good friends with them and have vacationed every yeay since then. Going on another cruise in Oct.

They have actually become like family to us. Long distance Ohio/Florida.

Talk to them on a regular basis.

new experience for me -- this is our first cruise where the Roll Call has been active and fun - there are over 50 people interested in a Meet & Greet on board. We'll go with open minds and see what happens. If it turns out to be a clunker, I figure we can leave.

We've had great roll calls and not-so-great roll calls. You can participate as much as you want or as little as you want.

We have had cabin crawls, poker runs, mardi gras parades, and slot pulls. All on one cruise. Most people took part in everything, some took part in one or two things and others just showed up to meet everyone.

And we have been to meet and greets where just one or two showed up or no one at all.

It all depends on how people feel that week.

Pros= ideas about excursions

Having folks to chat with while waiting for your cruise

meeting new people

Seeing a familiar face while onboard- I loved being able to wave & give a quick hello when seeing roll call members onboard

other suggestions about pre/post cruise hotels, travel ideas etc

Possibly getting a better deal on tours when joining others from your roll call

Cons= I can't really think of any major downside other than you just don't like someone on your roll call. But that would be easy to aoid someone. The other would be that they give you some bad advice or something.

Looks like this is your first cruise

Roll calls are a nice way to "meet" experienced cruisers and get tips. You can find out what they are doing at each port, if they have any advice about making your cruise more enjoyable.

If you dont really click with anyone, dont feel compelled to do the M&G. If you are somewhat curious, you can go, stay for a little while and leave. Unless its a paid function, most dont stay for more than 15-30 mins.

yep - first cruise. That sounds like solid advice thank you !

I have met people from all walks of life and from all over the world by participating in CC Roll Calls. We are still friends with people from our 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2012 Roll Calls. In fact, many of us are planning our next cruise on the Breeze for 2/2/13. We chat daily (via CC or FB), have traveled to each others homes and they have all become family. I can't imagine my life without some of these great people. :)

If this is your first cruise, go to the first meet and greet with an open mind. You may be very suprised by how nice it is to "know" other folks on your sailing. ;)

I post on Roll Call mainly to share my excitement. I don't know if I'll do a M&G and I've already stated that I will NOT do a cabin crawl(can't think of a worse hell!:))

Andoria: I am just curious as to why you would consider a cabin crawl Hell. I found it quite fun. We didn't do drinks, but just got to view different cabin types & we played poker in the process. For us it was so much fun.

I post on Roll Call mainly to share my excitement. I don't know if I'll do a M&G and I've already stated that I will NOT do a cabin crawl(can't think of a worse hell!:))

We have held Cabin Crawls on at least 5 sailings and they are almost always one of the highlights of the cruise for those that participate.

I know that they aren't for everyone but I am curious why you would find it "hell"? Bad experience or? :confused:

The talk is about a PAID open bar meet and greet the first day..

and

Seeing as how I will be traveling alone with a minor.. it just doesnt sound appealing to me.. and not the best time to leave her for several hours..

Thanks everyone !!!

Have you expressed your very valid concerns on your roll call? Maybe an alternative meeting could be arranged for those with kids & those who don't drink. I have found people to be very accomodating when trying to include everyone. If no alternative is suggested, then maybe you can meet up with like minded people privately. I hope you have a great 1st cruise. Your concerns are the reason I don't like those prepaid cocktail parties. They exclude people like you.

Not my bag either, I don't want people in my room, nor do I want any knocks on the door for anyone looking for me. If I am hiding in my cabin it's for nap time or nursing a hang over, lol. I look forward to the roll call events and will meet up with people there, but I do like to spend time with my wife & family/friends alone sometimes.

Have you expressed your very valid concerns on your roll call? Maybe an alternative meeting could be arranged for those with kids & those who don't drink. I have found people to be very accomodating when trying to include everyone. If no alternative is suggested, then maybe you can meet up with like minded people privately. I hope you have a great 1st cruise. Your concerns are the reason I don't like those prepaid cocktail parties. They exclude people like you.

I have not -- not because I don't think they would accomodate - but just because I am not sure if I am interested enough anyway. Does that make sense? Hoping maybe another family will pop up between now and then.. or someone with a child of similar age :)

Not my bag either, I don't want people in my room, nor do I want any knocks on the door for anyone looking for me. If I am hiding in my cabin it's for nap time or nursing a hang over, lol. I look forward to the roll call events and will meet up with people there, but I do like to spend time with my wife & family/friends alone sometimes.

I agree with this also.. ( from what I know.. as a newbie cruiser ) I feel like it would take some of my anonymity away.. NOT that I dont enjoy meeting people - I do! But we are leaving cell phones behind at home etc for the week.. I dont want "knocks" either.

Andoria: I am just curious as to why you would consider a cabin crawl Hell. I found it quite fun. We didn't do drinks, but just got to view different cabin types & we played poker in the process. For us it was so much fun.

Two words: Introverted Claustrophobic:)

I agree with this! I am all for meeting people at a roll call event but I think going cabbin hopping with people that you dont know kind of weird...i dont want them to see what I packed etc...and if you turn out to not like them you a stuck with them knowing where you stay...you cant change rooms like you can in a hotel lol

For a cabin crawl others don't just show up at your cabin. It's agreed in advance which cabins you'll see and those people will be together when they get to their cabin.

Some can be regular chatty cathy's on roll call but then don't show up at all or don't have anything to say in person.

On on on RCL NO ONE spoke to each other after the staff greeted us and told us to help ourselves to the cookies. Strangest one ever.

During the parties you pay for, kids can get soda and you don't have to stay if others start to act like they've had too much to drink.

They are really hit and miss in my experience.

You might want to check out the roll call for a sailing you might book before booking it...

I agree with this also.. ( from what I know.. as a newbie cruiser ) I feel like it would take some of my anonymity away.. NOT that I dont enjoy meeting people - I do! But we are leaving cell phones behind at home etc for the week.. I dont want "knocks" either.

I agree! I don't want people knowing "everything" I am doing and certainly don't want uninvited knocks at the door either.:)

Archived