Storm alternatives

oskarNZ

Again, excellent advice. Thank you heaps for your help :)

No problem!!! It's such a tough thing to plan and I know on our first cruise we heard lots of tips that helped! And we still do hear some sometimes. For instance - I didn't know that you could call Pepe's room and hear jokes!!!! I've got to do that next time!!!

Thank you. That is good to hear that they've never cancelled a cruise.

I will certainly pack my sense of adventure. I'm doing this cruise for the ship, not the ports, so won't be too worried if they take us elsewhere. In fact, I secretly hoped we might end up travelling up the West Coast towards New York (an itinerary I'd love) - but it sounds as though that never happens.

Don't you mean East?

Well kind of... I love the western ports but Tortola was an interesting stop. We ended up going to The Baths at Virgin Gorda (neighboring island)... it was beautiful but the water was ROUGH and I got beat up a bit (not to mention scraped by brambles and bit by fire ants when the tour went awry)

IMHO Tortola is a very boring port. Was there once and felt it was a wasted stop.

DCL has never cancelled a cruise due to a storm. The closest that they have ever come is once the Magic came into Ft. Lauderdale a day late because a storm rolled over FL on the Port Canaveral port date. Port Canaveral needed time to clean up and repair so guests were given accomodations and shuttled to/from Ft. Lauderdale.

The cruise lines can see hurricanes coming days in advance so they have time to make port and itinerary changes in advance. They're usually even able to set up excursions in the alternate port.

Some people get very upset with itinerary changes but whenever to go to sea on any type of vessel, you have to be ready to deal with and adapt to changing conditions. Pack your sense of adventure if you're sailing during hurricane season.

I just want to emphasize to the OP that it is HIGHLY unlikely that the cruise would be canceled due to a hurricane, so please don't worry about it! BUT it can happen. It's great that Disney has never had to do this before, but Disney is a fairly young cruise line. It is not good financially for a cruise line to cancel a cruise, so cruise lines would not cancel a cruise unless absolutely necessary. It is much more likely that an itinerary could be altered, but even then most cruises run without incident during hurricane season.

Here is a link to a discussion about this issue from the Carnival boards, including information about the need to cancel cruises in 2004:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1453990

It's good you are aware that you are traveling during hurricane season and are prepared in the event that there is a need for a change in itinerary. Sometimes people get very attached to the planned itinerary, and as Host Mick said, can get upset when there is a change. You are mentally prepared and i'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

It's good you are aware that you are traveling during hurricane season and are prepared in the event that there is a need for a change in itinerary. Sometimes people get very attached to the planned itinerary, and as Host Mick said, can get upset when there is a change. You are mentally prepared and i'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

Thanks Gatcruzer :)

The South Pacific gets a Cyclone season also (Dec - Apr), so a lot of cruises down this end of the world need to be taken the same relaxed, prepared-for-anything, attitude. As the saying goes "If life gives you lemons..."

IMHO Tortola is a very boring port. Was there once and felt it was a wasted stop.

I didn't actually spend any time on Tortola... went right from the ship to a ferry over to Virgin Gorda. The hike and swimming areas there were nice :)

I just want to emphasize to the OP that it is HIGHLY unlikely that the cruise would be canceled due to a hurricane, so please don't worry about it! BUT it can happen. It's great that Disney has never had to do this before, but Disney is a fairly young cruise line. It is not good financially for a cruise line to cancel a cruise, so cruise lines would not cancel a cruise unless absolutely necessary. It is much more likely that an itinerary could be altered, but even then most cruises run without incident during hurricane season.

Here is a link to a discussion about this issue from the Carnival boards, including information about the need to cancel cruises in 2004:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1453990

DCL once cancelled a Disney Magic cruise to break the Norovirus cycle so statistically, very tiny threats pose a greater cruise cancellation risk than big huge threats.

My Dream cruise last year skipped CC due to bad weather. The Captain tried to find a less rocky place to spend the day at sea, but the weather was yucky most of the day. They added some activities on board, but it was pretty much a wash out. We watched movies borrowed from the concierge in our cabin most of the day.

Archived