Weather this time of year?

Vli

In reading these posts, it seems like the ship gets re-directed and /or different events are canceled due to bad weather. I thought that this time of year--July, August was supposed to be very good weather? Would someone please advise as to what to expect ---we leave on the 7-day on 8/11?

I have been at 6 different times and we had bouts of bad weather at any time of the year. I think we didnt make it to the BB motu only once. Had rain in MM twice. In a sense in their summer though it is hot and it rains the showers finish quickly and all is fine after that.

I agree that it's very unpredictable. We were on the June 29 to July 11 cruise to the Cook Islands and we had pretty good weather the entire trip.

We had to pass through a storm on our way to the Cooks, but the weather at both Rarotonga and Aitutaki was great (although they did switch the order of these ports). We were told that they often have to skip those islands due to the fact that the ship has to stay outside the lagoons and the tenders can't safely load passengers from the ship if the seas are high. I heard of some sea sickness among passengers during the storm, but it wasn't a significant number.

The captain closed the ship's marina during the afternoon of the second day in Moorea due to wind, but I'm pretty sure that was the only activity affected during the entire trip.

Reading the reviews of the trip that left for the Tuamotus right after ours, it sounds like they had significant weather issues and much rougher seas. So conditions were fine one week, but poor the next. Unpredictable!

In reading these posts, it seems like the ship gets re-directed and /or different events are canceled due to bad weather. I thought that this time of year--July, August was supposed to be very good weather? Would someone please advise as to what to expect ---we leave on the 7-day on 8/11?

I've been reading these boards since the day I decided to book ( dates weren't even out yet;)) and I've noticed that most of the " weather" concerns show up in reviews about cruises longer than 7 days. So I think your ( and my) chances of having smoother sailing is good. But there are also fewer 7 day reviews, the old salts all seem to cruise longer- so they may be onto something :D

It seems this ship is well suited (shallow) for sailing within FP. Certainly, FP gets bad weather too, but it seems the ship can "handle " that so things dont get cancelled; dinners missed due to motion. Most of the reviews of longer sailings over open water seem to include at least one day where the reviewer makes mention of motion sickness/ itinerary changes/ activity cancellations. Better safe than sorry I suppose, it's a good thing!!

Again this is my uninformed opinion through research here on the boards, but I'm hopeful!

Archived