Transatlantic weather, 3/06

Debbers

We're planning our first Transatlantic voyage for next March 22-April 1, and wonder what to expect from the weather--or, more important, what to pack. The Regatta leaves Miami, where presumably Spring and Summer clothes will be appropriate, and sails to Funchal and Barcelona, where we will don our Euro-black urban duds. But what about in between? Is it likely to be cool, cold, warm, windy, rainy, sunny? Should we ditch the capris and pack the flannel? All suggestions are welcome!

An interesting question. We were on the March 15 from Barbados to Barcelona via Funchal. We were surprised how warm it was going across. Didn't get cooler until the last day at Funchal.

What I can't answer is:

Were we lucky, or

Would it have made a difference if we had started farther north at Miami?

Hopefully someone else can add some clarity.

Big fan of trans-Atlantics and trans-Pacifics.

Our only March (1998) trans-Atlantic was on the southern route,Buenos Aires Argentina to Recife Brazil to Dakar Senegal, then up to the Med and into Barcelona Spain. Most of our other trans-Atlantics have been Westbound, at the end of the European season.

The Atlantic was like a millpond on that March crossing. I can't say that any of our other crossings were as smooth.

Layering of clothes works for us - as it is often cooler out in the middle of the ocean.

We were on the 3/30/05 crossing and had a ball! It was very pleasant most days. It was windy, a bit, on the pool deck and down right cold on that deck only one day. There were folks swimming and sunbathing. It was pleasant if you wore a pair of light weight long pants and a short sleeved shirt. Layering would be a good thing. I would say that it generally ran between 65-75 each day. Funchal was the same and Barcelona was in the lower 70s for the 3 extra days we were there. Beautiful weather!! One night while on ship it was a bit stormy and the seas were about 15-20 ft high. It was a bit rocky, but nice for sleeping. If you like the ocean and crossings, you will love this trip!

• 1 month later...
Is it likely to be cool, cold, warm, windy, rainy, sunny?

Debbers -

I think you are absolutely right with your 'forecast'. With a bit of luck we will have a little of each. My wife and I will definitely do the layering thing. You'll most likely find us early in the morning on the walking (not jogging) track, trying to stay ahead of the weight gain prior to arrival in Barcelona.

I have to agree with CBMG. We were on that cruise. It was fabulous and the weather was wonderful. Actually, I was surprised. I didn't expect it to be so calm and so warm. The only real turbulence was when we were south of the Bay of Biscay (notoriuous for rocking the boat). And, the only time I was aware of the wind was doing that walking thing on the track . . . no running, I promise.

We enjoyed ourselves so much that we have signed up for the t/a Barbados to Marseilles next year.

You'll LOVE this cruise.

Marilyn

Archived