AFTER Moby Dick Tour?

2Okies

Someone that has been recently on the Moby Dick tour - I would appreciate your input to my questions below:

My DH & I have the Moby Dick tour scheduled in September. I've taken this tour with them before, so I know what to expect regarding the snorkeling & stingray part of the excursion.

However, the year I took this tour, our ship had to tender somewhere other than the normal pier in Georgetown because the waves were too high for the tender boats. Moby Dick met us w/a bus at the substitute tender point, and bused us to their boat - which was quite a distance from where we tendered.

Afterwards, I remember we had a little time to shop in town, and then I believe we had to catch their bus back to the tender point. I may be mistaken about them taking us back, but I think they did. However, like I said, we were quite a distance from town, so it took a while to get back to our tender point. So, we really didn't shop for very long.

Therefore, I really don't know the "normal" procedure if you get to tender at Georgetown. I understand that after the excursion, Moby Dick can drop you off at Seven Mile Beach or in town. My question is - how much time is usually left after the snorkel/stingray part of the excursion? I'm just wondering if we would have time for an hour or so on the beach and then some time in town also to shop, and still catch the tender boats on time? Is the tender point in Georgetown close to town shopping? I know I've read that we would have to catch a taxi from 7 mile beach back to the tender point (and/or town).

Anyone been and can help me out w/knowing what to do after the excursion in Grand Cayman? Our ship leaves at 4PM, so I imagine we need to be back at the tenderpoint 1 1/2 hours before then (so about 2:30?) We have to meet Moby Dick at the pier for tour to begin at 9AM, and it's a 3 hr tour, so I assume we'll be done by about noon?

What have others done after their excursion that take Moby Dick's tour?

Anyone? I would really like to know how much time people had to do things.

However, I just read on another thread today, that the port for these excursions are being forced to relocate, effective this month. THAT may effect how this excursion goes too.

Wait & see.

Any input would be appreciated!

thanks!

Where did you read about them changing the port for these excursions? We are taking Moby Dick in October and want to be prepared if there is a change.

I read this the other day (like about August 2?) Now I can't find where I saw it, but it was on one of these forum pages. Someone had a link to a Cayman newspaper I believe w/the story. As expected, the excursion operators were upset about it because they were told to vacate the premises by mid August or they would lose whatever they had on the property. The operators were saying they had no other port to use. However, they also said there has been talk of renovations before, but nothing has ever been done.

So, I don't know what will come of this. I just wondered if anyone else read it? It makes me mad I can't find it now! :mad: I know I didn't make it up!

The initial news article in the Caymanian Compass is here.

And the follow up news article here.

This is a site for docking boats used by many of the Stingray City tour operators. It is not related to the actual tender piers.

Someone on another thread helped me out with this. I knew I didn't imagine it!

Archived