Authorization Letter

I have a group of friends travelling with their children on P&O next year. I know the divorced people have to have a letter from the other parent to take their children on the cruise but what happens in the case of the other parent being deceased? Do they need to show proof, death certificate? Thank's

We travelled with our grand daughter in june and went through all the hurdles to have a letter of authorization (parents are seperated and live in 2 states) and as musicorn said..we were never asked for it but as Debsta recommends phone P&O and get advice on this one.

I believe that the section within the child's passport where both parents/guardians sign, gives authorization for the child to travel overseas, that's probably why P&O did not ask for anything???? BUT BEST TO CHECK!

B&B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

To add my two cents worth, not sure that the issue is a P&O one anyway, more like a Department of Immigration issue - they are the ones who would need to be satisfied that the children are being taken out of the country with appropriate permission. I would check with P&O and Customs and Immigration just to make sure.

I have a Foster daughter who has been on 9 cruises with us, every time we go I get an authorisation letter from Docs but have only ever been asked to produce it once and that was on Rhapsody, but safer to have one, you wouldn't want to turn up and be refused passage.

I have a Foster daughter who has been on 9 cruises with us

This makes me smile :D

I'm taking my Foster daughter on her first cruise. It's her first holiday. She's my personal counter, 78 days left. She has studied the cruise brochure almost daily for the past 8 Months. We booked well in advance to get approval.

This makes me smile :D

I'm taking my Foster daughter on her first cruise. It's her first holiday. She's my personal counter, 78 days left. She has studied the cruise brochure almost daily for the past 8 Months. We booked well in advance to get approval.

Just a lovely story. :). Have a fabulous time, you all deserve it!

My foster children both cruised with me..both have different surnames from each other and from me obviously...I always had letter but things have tightened up particularly on overseas travel so as they have all said..I wouldn't even take P & O's advice (given you get such bogus advice on lots of lesser issues) make sure and talk to immigration.

I had to renew boys passport 3 weeks from cruise (forgot the six months rule) I was sent on a whirlwind trying to locate birth father who hadn't been seen for years...I aged ten years when they started talking about putting ads in papers to try and locate him!!!! Yikes...in the end I took birth mother to passport office with me...(she didn't have legal custody I did) but in the end they allowed the passport on her say so...ridiculous.

So just be safe and make sure..and then have a great cruise.

Sue

Archived