Skywalkers

cruisercrazy69

Any left?

FOR THE 10,000TH TIME....the only ship that it was removed from was Grand Princess! There were never any plans to remove it from the other three Princess ships (Golden, Star, Caribbean) that have the travellator-style entrance--as well as the five other ships (Diamond, Sapphire, Crown, Emerald, Ruby) it was subsequently bulit on with a newer design. That's eight ships you get to choose from with Skywalkers!

FOR THE 10,000TH TIME....the only ship that it was removed from was Grand Princess! There were never any plans to remove it from the other three Princess ships (Golden, Star, Caribbean) that have the travellator-style entrance--as well as the five other ships (Diamond, Sapphire, Crown, Emerald, Ruby) it was subsequently bulit on with a newer design. That's eight ships you get to choose from with Skywalkers!

Going forward... The new Royal does not have Skywalker's. Is this a future trend? My guess is probably yes. When it is used well, it is a great venue.

Utilization of any venue seems to be determined by Ship or by Itinerary or both. Nothing is absolute it seems.

I have found that Skywalker's is a well-used venue depending on the itinerary. On a holiday cruise, like New Year's, it is extremely well used. Think very close to max capacity and into the wee hours of the morning. On a Transatlantic it is closer to being empty,think less than 20 passengers late at night.

On a transatlantic, there is more activity at Crooner's at least until 11:45pm when Crooner's closes, after last call and piano goes silent. Often Crooner's closes with half capacity. Closing appears to be strictly followed based on time.

Any left?
Of course. Why wouldn't there be?

As has been explained ad nauseum, the Grand was the first ship with a Skywalkers. The design turned out to be flawed and the materials used too heavy which after a number of years, put stress on the hull. The design was modified on the Golden, the next ship, and each subsequent ship built with a Skywalkers had design and materials improvements. Just because one ship encountered these issues doesn't mean they all do.

Going forward... The new Royal does not have Skywalker's. Is this a future trend? My guess is probably yes. When it is used well, it is a great venue.

Utilization of any venue seems to be determined by Ship or by Itinerary or both. Nothing is absolute it seems.

I have found that Skywalker's is a well-used venue depending on the itinerary. On a holiday cruise, like New Year's, it is extremely well used. Think very close to max capacity and into the wee hours of the morning. On a Transatlantic it is closer to being empty,think less than 20 passengers late at night.

On a transatlantic, there is more activity at Crooner's at least until 11:45pm when Crooner's closes, after last call and piano goes silent. Often Crooner's closes with half capacity. Closing appears to be strictly followed based on time.

I agree.....the last time I was on the Crown was TA last September and there were more cruise staff and officers in Skywalkers than passengers.

It is still a wonderful place and I hope they don't remove any more.

I agree.....the last time I was on the Crown was TA last September and there were more cruise staff and officers in Skywalkers than passengers.

This probably depends on the cruise. On my 16-day Star cruise in March, it was literally standing room only in Skywalkers all evening. We wound up waiting to go there every night until at least 6pm when some people would leave for dinner. Otherwise, there wasn't a seat, bench or stool available, even with people sharing tables. During the day, it was busy but not crowded.

No reason for Princess to spend megamillions (make that "super" millions) to remove Skywalkers on any ship other than the Grand, which was experiencing structural stress due to the weight and location of Skywalkers. All ships since then have been modified. There's no financial, structural or any other reason to remove it.

I'd agree with Pam. On our recent Alaskan cruise on the Golden Princess, Skywalkers was hoppin' every night. Sometimes, it was difficult to find an open seat...

Archived