Copenhagen/Norway on Silver Whisper

DogLover45

We are considering a cruise next year on Silver Whisper (round trip Copenhagen - traveling to Norway) and would love to hear from anyone who has taken this trip. I'll explain why I'm keying into this particular destination, and what I'm looking for. Maybe someone out there has some suggestions.

• After cruising on two of the bigger cruise lines, we know we don't want to do that again. We're looking for a more intimate, more luxurious cruise line.
  • We love natural beauty - as opposed to city beauty. So, we'd like to select a destination that is not city-oriented.
  • We'd also like to do exursions that weren't dependent on being on your feet all day.
  • We do not want a long, long cruise. Seven days is plenty.
  • We love the entertainment on the bigger ships, and I know that we can't get that on the smaller ships, but from what I've been reading, I think there may be some evening entertainment on Silver Whisper.

Also have some questions on this particular cruise. It seems as if this cruise is more open water and might encounter rougher waters than some other destinations. Is that an issue we should be concerned with? We never had a problem on open water on the bigger ships, but I wonder if it becomes an issue on a smaller ship.

When asked my favorite SS cruises there are two: Rio to Cape Town and #1 overall favorite -- Whisper/Norwegian Fjords. I believe the itinerary you're looking at is almost exactly what we did. It is spectacular -- and Whisper is my #2 favorite SS ship -- I can't recommend it too highly.

Thanks for some feedback. It doesn't seem to be such a popular destination and I keep questioning myself and wondering why. Would love to get your thoughts on exursions and whether there is any problem with rough seas.

Thanks for some feedback. It doesn't seem to be such a popular destination and I keep questioning myself and wondering why. Would love to get your thoughts on exursions and whether there is any problem with rough seas.

Are you looking at V.4314? I don't understand doesn't seem to be a popular destination? As far as rough seas are concerned, I doubt you'll notice any difference in Whisper's size to one of the larger ships -- the stabilizers are quite effective if needed -- it's never been a problem for me but I understand some folks do.

We are considering a cruise next year on Silver Whisper (round trip Copenhagen - traveling to Norway) and would love to hear from anyone who has taken this trip. I'll explain why I'm keying into this particular destination, and what I'm looking for. Maybe someone out there has some suggestions.

• After cruising on two of the bigger cruise lines, we know we don't want to do that again. We're looking for a more intimate, more luxurious cruise line.
  • We love natural beauty - as opposed to city beauty. So, we'd like to select a destination that is not city-oriented.
  • We'd also like to do exursions that weren't dependent on being on your feet all day.
  • We do not want a long, long cruise. Seven days is plenty.
  • We love the entertainment on the bigger ships, and I know that we can't get that on the smaller ships, but from what I've been reading, I think there may be some evening entertainment on Silver Whisper.

Also have some questions on this particular cruise. It seems as if this cruise is more open water and might encounter rougher waters than some other destinations. Is that an issue we should be concerned with? We never had a problem on open water on the bigger ships, but I wonder if it becomes an issue on a smaller ship.

DogLover, We did this cruise 2-9July,2012 on the Whisper. Ship travels close to coast so seas not rough, also most of the time you are in the fjords so definitely not rough. Could have a bit of a sea from Bergen to Copenhagen, but can get great tablets from reception to cure this. You really need to do the SS tours as there is little time in each port to organise your own. The best tours we did were Flam Railway $149pp Atlantic Road, and Geiranger Panorama $139pp is a must...fantastic. You can do Bergen on your own, suggest harbour cruise, funicular, and walk round town, fish market. Not much walking required on most of these tours.

July best time of year, we had 25 degrees, sunshine, calm perfect sea. We had a Terrace room and found it handy for quick photos of the fjords early in morning before breakfast.

New entertainment was good, just one show each night at 2215 for about 45mins. then you were ready for bed anyway. Food was terrific, good to the bar before dinner for a couple of cocktails and listen to the band play, very enjoyable. No queue for anything not even for the tenders....you will notice a BIG difference to the larger lines. Absolutely FIRST CLASS....GREAT CHOICE!!!! Have a look at Terri from Ohio's cruise critic entry...you will be amazed if you have not read it already

DogLover, We did this cruise 2-9July,2012 on the Whisper. Ship travels close to coast so seas not rough, also most of the time you are in the fjords so definitely not rough. Could have a bit of a sea from Bergen to Copenhagen, but can get great tablets from reception to cure this. You really need to do the SS tours as there is little time in each port to organise your own. The best tours we did were Flam Railway $149pp Atlantic Road, and Geiranger Panorama $139pp is a must...fantastic. You can do Bergen on your own, suggest harbour cruise, funicular, and walk round town, fish market. Not much walking required on most of these tours.

July best time of year, we had 25 degrees, sunshine, calm perfect sea. We had a Terrace room and found it handy for quick photos of the fjords early in morning before breakfast.

New entertainment was good, just one show each night at 2215 for about 45mins. then you were ready for bed anyway. Food was terrific, good to the bar before dinner for a couple of cocktails and listen to the band play, very enjoyable. No queue for anything not even for the tenders....you will notice a BIG difference to the larger lines. Absolutely FIRST CLASS....GREAT CHOICE!!!! Have a look at Terri from Ohio's cruise critic entry...you will be amazed if you have not read it already

And +1 fpr Weintime's recommendations -- FLAM -- unforgettable -- Geiranger - ditto ! Simply fantastic trip. I'll never forget opening the drapes the first morning - being in those fantastic fjords -- and simply saying OH MY GOD !

We have cruised the Norwegian Coast three times, most recently last summer on the Whisper. (our favorite) The scenery is glorious, and always looks different because of the varying light, clouds and weather in general. That means that we recommend experiencing the cruise first hand...too many pix and too much personal commentary could set you up for comparisons that would be distracting.

This is an ENCHANTING cruise on a fabulous ship and you'll love it!

IMO Whisper is #1 of all cruise ships, not just SS. If you look at Terry's posts you will see what a terrific trip this is and once again even better on Whisper. Go for it! We did it on the Wind and even with some bad weather we never were uncomfortable. Be aware, however, weather does make a big difference. We were lucky except for Bergen where the water came down sideways.

Archived