Civitavecchia to FCO

BarleyJack

I'm not sure if this is the place for this post, so if not please accept my apologies.

We are visiting/cruising from Rome on our first European adventure. So that's the set up, here is my question to those who may be "in the know".

The flight we are considering leaves FCO at 11am. Our cruise itinerary has us arriving at port at 5am. I know from past cruise experience that disembarkation can be a bit of mess. We will carry our luggage with us. Will we have enough time to cab it from the port to FCO to make our flight, or should we consider an (extra) evening in Rome or a different flight?

Thanks again for your input!

I'm not sure if this is the place for this post, so if not please accept my apologies.

We are visiting/cruising from Rome on our first European adventure. So that's the set up, here is my question to those who may be "in the know".

The flight we are considering leaves FCO at 11am. Our cruise itinerary has us arriving at port at 5am. I know from past cruise experience that disembarkation can be a bit of mess. We will carry our luggage with us. Will we have enough time to cab it from the port to FCO to make our flight, or should we consider an (extra) evening in Rome or a different flight?

Thanks again for your input!

That for me is to early of a flight. Not saying you cant make it i just dont need any added stress in my life after a nice cruise. We have done two Med cruise's in the last 3 years out of Barcelona and have over nighted both time's pre/post cruise. If im flying out the same day i try 1PM or later as my rule of thumb. We just came off a Panama Canal in may that ended in San Diego and we had over 400 Non Us people that had to clear customs before anyone got of the ship. So that added 2hrs to when we thought we would be off. Many people were scrambling to rebook flights. No fun.

It is a matter of what you are comfortable with, but it's probably possible and certainly so if everything goes right and you are able to be off the ship quickly.

The airport is 45 - 60 minute drive from the cruise port. With a tight timetable I would reserve a car in advance rather than take a taxi.

A fact you should consider is which terminal you will leave from. If you are taking a direct flight to the US on a US branded airline you will leave from Terminal 5, which has stricter security and takes longer to check in. For these flights I would want to be at the airport three hours prior to departure. In your case that would mean an 8 AM arrival at the airport and a 7 AM departure from Civitavecchia.

If you are on any other carrier and/or have your first stop elsewhere in Europe, you'll leave from one of the other terminals and two hours in advance is sufficient.

Thanks, that's what I thought. The flight I'm looking at is FCO-IST-JFK on Turkish Airlines. We will be in Rome 3 days pre cruise, but I guess one day post wouldn't be so bad. There are worse places in the world to kill time than in Rome :D

Thanks again!

Security lines at FCO can be absolutely chaotic (some of the worst I've ever seen, actually). There's also a possibility of weather or customs issues causing disembarkation delays, and also traffic delays in getting from port to the airpot. I really wouldn't risk it.

We flew out of FCO 2 yrs ago..it WAS a virtual mess..Stay overnite in ROME or book a later flight, get a car service to pick u up in Civittavechia and go that route.

My car service was LIMO SERVICE ROME..ask for ANDREA..been using this car service in ROMA for YEARS..they r excellent..

http://www.limoservicesrome.net/SPECIAL%20SERVICES.htm

We docked at 5 AM last August. Arranged for Rome Cab to pick us up ship side at 6:45 AM. We were at FCO by 7:30 AM for a 10 AM flight with plenty of time to kill. Granted, this was a Monday morning in August (prime Italian vacation time -which means not a lot of traffic), but the crowds were quite large at FCO still. Are you flying coach or business class? That does make a difference in terms of going through security. My bottom line would be that, yes, you can make an 11 AM flight but if you have the time, stay a night in Rome. Well worth it,

Archived