Oahu airport to Waikiki rent car or use car service

Sohker

My family of four will be arriving in Oahu on 5/26/05. I was planning to rent a car from 5/26 - 5/29 prior to our POA cruise. I was just thinking that the car will not hold the 4 of us and our luggage. Anyone else run into this issue?

Should I use a car service to get us to the hotel in Waikiki then rent a car? What hotels in Waikiki have rental cars available?

We were planning to visit Pearl Harbor, the Cultural Center and Diamond Head. If I decided not to rent a car how cumbersome would it be to get to these sites.

Appreciate your advice.

Parking in Waikiki can be difficult to find and expensive, so many people try to get by without renting a car at all. You can get transportation to the PCC as part of your PCC ticket, and if you shop around a bit with some of the activities brokers, you may be able to find a competitive price that makes it very worthwhile. It may be a long drive back after the day and the show at PCC, and having someone else do the driving can be desirable.

Honolulu/Waikiki also has a fairly good bus system. I believe you will be able to take the bus from the Waikiki area to Pearl Harbor without too much difficulty.

The one that might be difficult to arrange without a rental car (I'm not sure, because I haven't done ti) is Diamond Head.

We are also a family of 4, now all adult sized. We have always managed to get us and all the luggage into a car, but we don't get a compact, we get the intermediate or usually full size car. It's usually a crowded ride to the hotel, maybe 3 of us in back seat & cases piled high in front passenger seat and maybe still holding a few things. Rolling duffle bags fit in the trunk better than 29" suitcases, I know from personal experience. :( From Alamo, you can rent at airport, return at Iliki Renaissance & take their shuttle to the pier. (There's also a coupon in the entertainment book for $15.) I guess I'm spoiled but I didn't want to wait for the bus or figure out the route to get where I want to go. The fares just for transportation to PCC would run us $60, more than half of our rental car for 4 days.

Here's the Bus website: http://www.thebus.org/

Here's a guide book for using the bus:

http://michaelbrein.com/honolulu/index.htm

I don't have it, so I don't know if it's worth it.

Archived