Alaska camera advice for complete novice

petlady7

Hi

Have read some of the posts here on cameras and lenses and am completely lost , we are novices at photography and only own a fuji handheld point and shoot digital camera and other small digital cameras

We would like to know in very simple terms a recommendation for a camera and size of lenses that we would understand in lay mans terms please if possible , and not too expensive if possible as we already have 3 other cameras but none suitable for photographing wildlife at a distance or in focus .

We live in france and cannot find an option to rent a lens

Thank you for any help

petlady7 on Cruise Critic there is a Photo and Camera board. I would post there to get additional input.

This link will take you there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

No matter what input you get, go to a camera store where you can feel the camera because each camera has a different feel when you hold it and some feel good to one person and not to another.

Keith

I'm like you in that I am a real novice but wanted a good camera for wildlife photography. Having to change the lens and carry all the equipment was a bit intimidating. Instead I got the Nikon Coolpix P500 which is a "point & shoot" with a 36x's optical zoom. The new model now available is the P501 which is the same camera with a 42x's zoom. I just came back from Alaska and got great shots especially in Denali. Just something you may want to consider!

I also bought a Nikon Coolpix for our Alaskan cruise tour (that we are on right now). It took some great shots of the wildlife on the Tundra Wilderness Tour. I don't remember the model number, but it's the one with a 26x optical zoom. It's lightweight and easy to use.

Whatever you buy, be sure to get it in time to take lots of practice shots at home and play around with the different settings. I did not do enough at home and have learned more about the camera during the trip. So far, thankfully, I don't think I missed any great shots--just had to take some more than once.

Archived