Regatta review - Istanbul to Rome

Tokyo Mom

I've tried to include a picture - not sure if it's worked. If it has, then I'll continue the review and add more, if not, I'll figure out how to do it before I continue.

About us: My husband, Scott and I decided to take a cruise (Regatta - Istanbul to Rome) for our 25th anniversary. We have traveled extensively and have cruised twice before – once to the Caribbean (with family) for a week on Carnival and once to Alaska on HAL. We chose Oceania mainly because of the itinerary and the smaller sized ship. I was a little concerned we would be on the younger end of the demographics – we are 46 and 47 but I was surprised to see a wide range of ages on the ship.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/545485_3426066410881_247589143_n.jpg

Embarkation: This could not have been easier. We were dropped off at the dock and within 15 minutes had handed over our luggage, gone through security, filled out a two question form (basically stating that we arrived in Turkey healthy), got in line to provide a credit card number and have our pictures taken, passed through passport control and onto the ship and in the Terrace café.

Our room: Because this was our 25th anniversary cruise we splurged on a PH suite. We were in room 8058 – port side – I believe 3 rooms from the back. The room was very spacious – lots of storage and tastefully decorated – all blues, whites and dark wood. Another reason I chose a PH was, I admit, I wanted the bigger bathroom – with an actual tub/shower. And I am happy to say, that for me, it was well worth it. I enjoyed the space to shower and even take a couple baths with the lovely Bvalgari bath salts left every day. All the Bvalgari products were wonderful and smelled so good. We were able to get into our room right away after boarding the ship (at 1:00) and our bags were waiting for us as was our butler. He was very nice and I'm sure would have done anything we asked but we really had no need for his services. The only thing we asked him to do was swap out our welcome bottle of champagne for a bottle of red wine (which was kept with the wine – somewhere behind the scenes) and get us a deck of cards. We also had breakfast in our cabin a few times and afternoon canapés a couple of times. Our housekeeper was extremely cheerful.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/306508_3418568223431_838769642_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/541615_3423055495610_1484021678_n.jpg

Dining: Food is rather subjective so I will just mention some things that we especially liked. The eggs benedict were very good (and a little surprisingly) we thought they were better prepared in the Terrace Café as opposed to the Grand Dining room. I also loved my beef Carpaccio in Toscana. Scott had a delicious sandwich on our sea day from Waves Grill. It was a roasted pork on a great baguette. One of the main dishes in the dining room one night was spinach and ricotta gnocchi, which I had as an appetizer and it just melted in your mouth. Steaks on the whole were always well prepared.

Our first meal in Toscana was good though we had a little problem with the light above our table. We were seated along the back window in one corner and we did not notice that the light above didn’t work until the sun set. At that point it was quite dark on our table, especially compared to the tables all around us. We asked about the light and more than one person came over to fiddle with it, but to no avail. What surprised us was that not one person said they were sorry. When I filled out the mid cruise questionnaire I commented on just that and lo and behold someone from Toscana called our cabin to apologize – so they do read the comments. And then later in the day the manager of Toscana called and wanted to know if we would like to eat there another night (in addition to our current 2 reservations) and was very sorry and appreciated our filling out the comment card. We declined though said we were looking forward to our next meal there and appreciated his calling.

After I see if the picture came through, I'll continue with the ports.

Michelle

I did read that post and it sounded so darn confusing. I know it's not as "fun" that the pictures aren't right there, but when you click on the link they show up, so that's going to have to do. :)

Thanks - Michelle

Archived