Tell Me About Riviera and Accessibility

kitty9

I cruised the Ren ships back in the day, but I'm not familiar with the two newer ships of O. I'm looking at taking Riviera next January but I'm concerned about accessibility. I'm a full time scooter user due to post polio syndrome so obviously accessibility is a very big concern. In the larger suites, such as the PH, would the shower accommodate a shower chair? How about the Concierge cabins----would they accommodate a shower chair? Are the outside decks pretty much accessible? How about public rooms?

My sister is giving me this cruise as a birthday present---one of those major birthdays---and we thought that Oceania would be a really great experience.

Have not seen them but I would try booking one of the accessible cabins ...they have a couple that are balcony ones if I recall

Deck 7 had some as well as an Oceanview H/C

The public rooms are fine the only problem I can see is with tendering & some doors leading to some outside decks are not automated

I would talk to your TA or an O rep

Enjoy

My DH uses a small scooter and our TA found a cabin for him that is slightly larger tgan the usual size in our category. Working with a good TA certainly helped in our case.

~Doris~

What kind of small scooter? My husband needs one.

Thanks!

wolff711at aoldotcom

Kitty, I too have post polio syndrome and have booked a Concierge class stateroom on the Marina for April. I am hoping that because they have staterooms which are a bit larger than some there will be room for my travel wheelchair. A scooter presents another problem which is why I don't use one. (I can walk short distances slowly with my cane.) Perhaps you could snag an accessible cabin. Marlene

We have been in a handicapped room on the Marina with our son who is in a wheelchair. I am pretty sure it is exactly the same as on the Riviera. It was one of the 4 handicapped veranda rooms and it was the best handicapped room we have ever seen on a cruise ship, even better than most handicapped hotel rooms. It seemed to be 3 or 4 feet wider than the normal veranda room, probably bigger than some of the more upscale and higher priced rooms. I guessed it was close to 400 square feet but I had nothing to measure the exact size. Plenty of room for the wheelchair to go through between the bed and other things.

The bathroom had a roll-in shower with a fold down seat. Also had grab bars in the shower and for the toilet. There was no tub which might be considered by some as not desirable. Plenty of room to maneuver a wheelchair in the bath for whatever was needed.

It was a little difficult to get the wheelchair to the veranda but not that bad.

Although we did not actually see an ocean view handicapped room, we understand it was exactly the same as the veranda room but without the veranda. There are a few handicapped inside rooms but I have no idea what they are like.

As opposed to other cruise lines, Oceania wants a doctor's letter saying that you really need a handicapped room and they are very particular on how it must be presented to them. I guess that is good in many ways but a pain to get.

Archived