Review of Jewel to Alaska 7/28-8/4 - with pictures

sdmike

For my birthday last weekend my wife did this for me in my office / guest room! She's good people! :)

DSCN5656-vi.jpg

Mike, loved your review and I think I may have to steal your wife's wall layout of pictures. I have been trying to figure out how to do my Alaska pictures, and I just love the way she "designed" your wall.

Mike, loved your review and I think I may have to steal your wife's wall layout of pictures. I have been trying to figure out how to do my Alaska pictures, and I just love the way she "designed" your wall.

Well, in defense of guys everywhere, it was ME (I?) that did the design. She printed these at Costco for a very reasonable price (the large one is printed on poster board, not individual pictures), but I was the one that arranged them this way. She has an allergy to tools (snicker)

Yeah, I know I said she did this for me... but I gotta take credit for some of it. (defensive? me? lol) ;)

Edited by sdmike

Mike,

It's been so fun reading your posts from your Alaska cruise on the Jewel. My husband and I have cruised twice to Alaska - once on the Spirit and once on the Star. Your photos brought back so many memories. We also loved your photos of our hometown Seattle including the waterfront and the new ferris wheel. We sail on the Jewel in October from NYC south to Florida and the Bahamas. Can't wait!

Thanks for the wonderful photographs, your jovial commentary and helpful comments, too!

We can't wait to experience the Jewel!

Thanks for the wonderful photographs, your jovial commentary and helpful comments, too!

We can't wait to experience the Jewel!

Thanks for the kind words! The Jewel is a great ship. After sailing on the Epic I wasn't sure if I would feel like the Jewel was a "downgrade". but even though she's older and smaller we loved the ship. The crew does a great job.

Have a wonderful trip!

Day 8-Seattle and Home

Overall, it was an amazing trip with only a few glitches. The ship and crew were top notch. The shows, crew and food were above average, and Alaska itself is simply stunning. There were only a few “cons” as noted earlier. While the buffet never had any lines, it was difficult finding tables. We often went further back towards Great Outdoors to find something. Not a big deal, but should be noted. Also, our room had quite a bit of noise from up on the pool deck, mostly people running. Why were they running? I have no idea, but they were. Lol. Finally, the excursion we did in Skagway was underwhelming, but I’m glad I paid only $75 per person (booked on our own) and not the $100+ for the “hike and float” offered by NCL. The positives, however, more than made up for these slight negatives.

If you haven’t seen Alaska. Go. You don’t like cold? Go anyway. It’s stunning.

SDMike: How bad/loud is the noise from above and how often do you hear noise. We are thinking of going on the Jewel in December in a mini-suite and would like to know about the noise factor. We'll have a 1 year old with us.

Thanks

SDMike: How bad/loud is the noise from above and how often do you hear noise. We are thinking of going on the Jewel in December in a mini-suite and would like to know about the noise factor. We'll have a 1 year old with us.

Thanks

The noise upstairs woke me at 6am the first sea day. It sounded like chairs being drug all over the place. Probably just setting them out for the day. I went back to sleep, but I didn't like being woken up on my vacation. :) That was the only morning that we had noise.

Late at night was another story. There seemed to be an inordinate number of people (or just one idiot) running on the pool deck over our room. I can't see how since we were close to the front edge of the pool deck. Where would they be running? It only bothered me because I thought it was rude and inconsiderate, but otherwise it wasn't a lot of noise. It didn't go on too late and never woke us up. Just annoying. :) At max it might go on for 5-10 minutes then stop for a while, but we would hear it a couple of times each evening.

Getting a mini-suite under the game room or library on the starboard side would be awesome. Also getting one back towards the garden cafe would work too, as I think the floors up there are carpeted.

Edited by sdmike

The noise upstairs woke me at 6am the first sea day. It sounded like chairs being drug all over the place. Probably just setting them out for the day. I went back to sleep, but I didn't like being woken up on my vacation. :) That was the only morning that we had noise.

Late at night was another story. There seemed to be an inordinate number of people (or just one idiot) running on the pool deck over our room. I can't see how since we were close to the front edge of the pool deck. Where would they be running? It only bothered me because I thought it was rude and inconsiderate, but otherwise it wasn't a lot of noise. It didn't go on too late and never woke us up. Just annoying. :) At max it might go on for 5-10 minutes then stop for a while, but we would hear it a couple of times each evening.

Getting a mini-suite under the game room or library on the starboard side would be awesome. Also getting one back towards the garden cafe would work too, as I think the floors up there are carpeted.

Thanks for the response. I agree about being woken up early while on vacation. Great review by the way. Doesn't appear there are any more rooms near the card room left on the sailing we are thinking of, so we'll have to check about getting one near the garden cafe

Great review and pics, Mike

Funny just the other day my dh and I were talking about Alaska in 2014 - this is def a cruise we want to do ~

I dont think NCL's skd is out yet for Alaska in 2014 - will look again

Thanks again for all the awesome photos !

Thanks Mike for the awesome review! I was unsure as to the Pearl or Jewel for Alaska, and while many were steering us towards the Pearl due to the Glaciar bay day, I am not so sure anymore! The price is so much better for the Jewel, and from the looks of your pictures you see Glaciars on the Jewel cruise as well. We can save about $1000 total if we book an aft suite on the Jewel versus the Pearl, and that is a LOT of money in our world!

Thanks again!

M

You're welcome, Michelle.

Keep in mind that the excursion we were on to Tracy Arm was pretty pricey. I'm thinking it was around $170 or so. You'll have to do the math to see how much you would save. If you do the Pearl you don't need the excursion.

I hope you guys enjoyed the review. Feel free to ask any questions. I have posted about 1/3 of my pictures here:

http://public.fotki.com/ritchiefamily/san_diego_family/2012-pictures/alaska-cruise-2012/

Enjoy!

I am totally enjoying your review from Alaska, the photo's that you have taken are amazing.

One day, my wife and I plan to take the Alaskan cruise.

Edited by canadiancruiser13

We literally booked our Alaskan cruise for July 2013 (Jewel) about two weeks ago. I was super excited then, now that I have read your trip report I am over the top excited. The wait seems so long.....

Right now we are booked in a family balcony 10096. We can bump up to a mini-suite for a little under $200. I am curious how many think it would be worth it for us?? It will be my husband, myself and twin 10 yr olds.

This is our first cruise EVER so I have so many questions I would love to ask. I am one of those people who likes to be in "the know" and the fewer the surprises the better.

I have one I would like to ask now if that is okay. In your report you posted the menu for the Noodle Bar. I see prices next to the items. Are those an additional cost? I thought food was included in the cruise price (with the exception of the resaraunts with surcharges)

Okay, one more question, anyone stay in a balcony on the Jewel that can say whether or not these rooms have the coffee maker, tub and flat screens like the mini-suites??

Thanks everyone!

Edited by RCmommy

You're welcome, Michelle.

Keep in mind that the excursion we were on to Tracy Arm was pretty pricey. I'm thinking it was around $170 or so. You'll have to do the math to see how much you would save. If you do the Pearl you don't need the excursion.

Thanks Mike, and that is really good information as well! Part of me is thinking, book the Pearl, stay in a mini-suite instead of a full Aft Suite, and just save the money. The other *spoiled* part of me is thinking, it will be VERY difficult to go to a regular cabin after cruising in 2 suites, so not sure we can go down the mini-suite route! Decisions, decisions! :)

We literally booked our Alaskan cruise for July 2013 (Jewel) about two weeks ago. I was super excited then, now that I have read your trip report I am over the top excited. The wait seems so long.....

Right now we are booked in a family balcony 10096. We can bump up to a mini-suite for a little under $200. I am curious how many think it would be worth it for us?? It will be my husband, myself and twin 10 yr olds.

This is our first cruise EVER so I have so many questions I would love to ask. I am one of those people who likes to be in "the know" and the fewer the surprises the better.

I have one I would like to ask now if that is okay. In your report you posted the menu for the Noodle Bar. I see prices next to the items. Are those an additional cost? I thought food was included in the cruise price (with the exception of the resaraunts with surcharges)

Okay, one more question, anyone stay in a balcony on the Jewel that can say whether or not these rooms have the coffee maker, tub and flat screens like the mini-suites??

Thanks everyone!

RCMommy,

The balcony rooms do not have a tub, flatscreen or coffee maker. They have a like a hot water boiler pot, and instant coffee packages and tea.

I think with the 10 year twins you should go up and get the mini suite, it will be a bit more room.

That menu that you saw is a la carte. The surcharge restaurants have one set price, not that one.

Beautiful cruise.

Hello,

Today we did change our reservation from the balcony to the mini-suite. We are now in cabin 11106. A little nervous about the noise from above but we will manage. I am sure I will be too excited to get much sleep anyway!

Hello,

Today we did change our reservation from the balcony to the mini-suite. We are now in cabin 11106. A little nervous about the noise from above but we will manage. I am sure I will be too excited to get much sleep anyway!

Good choice moving up. You will have a curtain between your bed and the one shared by the twins. You will also have more room overall. For $200 it's a "no brainer" in my opinion.

Thanks, we think so too. The curtain will come in handy. I know some people are of the opinion to not get a suite your first cruise because you will never go back, but we are not that way at all. We have been to Disney vacations from Deluxe back to value with no issues, etc. Besides, I am pretty sure we would not be able to always score a mini-suite for just under $200. :)

Thanks, we think so too. The curtain will come in handy. I know some people are of the opinion to not get a suite your first cruise because you will never go back, but we are not that way at all. We have been to Disney vacations from Deluxe back to value with no issues, etc. Besides, I am pretty sure we would not be able to always score a mini-suite for just under $200. :)

From what I have read and understand, a mini-suite is not a full suite. You will get a bit of extra room, but NO suite amenities. Just making sure you realize that. I have not yet cruised in a full suite, but will be doing so next year for the first time on the Jewel to Alaska.

Thank You Mike for the review and pics. I've shown my MIL and GrandmotherIL the pics from your review. They are so excited

From what I have read and understand, a mini-suite is not a full suite. You will get a bit of extra room, but NO suite amenities. Just making sure you realize that.

Absolutely right! The mini-suites are not suites, and I really, really wish NCL would stop marketing them that way. You don't get any suite amenities, like use of a butler and concierge, etc. I still think you made the right decision, but make sure you know what you're getting into.

As always, great review Mike. I loved it. We will be on the Jewel next year (although not to Alaska), but I'm seriously considering an Alaska cruise. I loved the pictures. I'm just not a person that likes the cold AT ALL. I hibernate in the winter and add rain to that....I don't know how I could enjoy myself. But, I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try.

You didn't see any whales? I always notice people posting pictures of whales on their Alaska cruises. Do you have to take a whale spotting excursion for that? Or is it just not the "season" for whales there?