Luggage question

beckymomof2

If your luggage doesn't make it on the same flight as you, does the airlines forward it to the next port? I don't see how they could with security, like no way to screen it.

We had lost luggage from Cleveland to FLL. Luggage was found and sent to St. Thomas (first port 2 days later), cruise personel went to airport to get it and it was in our cabin when we returned from shore excursion

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. My parents had a 3 week repositioning cruise from Europe to Africa a few years ago. Due to weather issues at originating airport their luggage missed the first international flight. The airline knew which ship and which ports, but it did not help as the luggage arrived a day after the ship had left first port. So luggage did its own trip of South Africa/Switzerland/Italy/port/Switzerland/South Africa/Seychelles(where it missed the ship again)/South Africa and finally delivered back to the house. :eek:

It was difficult for them for the 3 weeks with limited clothing in carry-ons, and a few extra shirts/shorts purchased along the way. But the airline made good with a very nice voucher for their inconvenience.

These days you are lucky if the plane waits a few minutes for you !! They definitely take the view that "tough luck about your luggage, it can come when it comes..."

In my parents case, the weather caused a double routing on initial domestic flight, and when they got to the international airport they were rushed through to board for the international flight. Of course the luggage had not even been taken off the first flight yet. As it was already checked through to the international destination they had no idea that it became more delayed than they were.

It happened to us on our first cruise ever -- to Alaska. We didn't know any better than to fly in the day of departure (never do that now) and our early morning flight was cancelled by the airline. We got on another one - still early in the morning, but our luggage didn't. We had already put the ship tags on the bags at the airport (again, we didn't know if we should or not).

At the baggage claim counter when our bags didn't show up, we filled out all the paper work. Then when we got on the ship we went to the desk and told them.

At our first port - Ketchikan -- as I only had capris and sandals -- we noticed our bags being taken out of a van (hubby spotted it from the balcony) and I ran down to retrieve them. They said they'd bring them up but I opted to stay with them while they did it. (I didn't want to let them out of my sight). So, now we always travel with good carryon clothes and fly in a day early.

How would the airline know what you next port was?? some airlines dont fly abroad.. so they couldnt.

They always try to forward it unless you are on SW or some other airline without interline agreements.

How do they know where you are? You have to file a claim if it doesn't show up and unless you are foolish you tell them.

If possible the luggage gets there.

These days you are lucky if the plane waits a few minutes for you !! They definitely take the view that "tough luck about your luggage, it can come when it comes..."

In my parents case, the weather caused a double routing on initial domestic flight, and when they got to the international airport they were rushed through to board for the international flight. Of course the luggage had not even been taken off the first flight yet. As it was already checked through to the international destination they had no idea that it became more delayed than they were.

Luggage can make any connection faster than a person. Sometimes luggage gets left behind because of weight issues, gate changes, plane changes, etc. If there is enough time for a person to make a connection there is enough time for the luggage.

We had lost luggage from Cleveland to FLL. Luggage was found and sent to St. Thomas (first port 2 days later), cruise personel went to airport to get it and it was in our cabin when we returned from shore excursion

Happened to our group on our first cruise. We flew in a day early........luggage didn't make it so it was sent to our first port in Nassau.(pretty impressive due to the fact that our ports were changed due to a coming hurricane and they still got the luggage to us.)

Actually it was the airline that got the luggage to us....brought it to the ship and gave us money to purchase some things while on board.....

....That being said, you can't buy shoes, under clothes, or at that time, bathing suites on board. CCL let us get formal wear for free including dress shoes.

Back a few years ago my luggage got there before I did. Left JFK and flew to OK City, could not fine my bag....went to baggage claim and there it was... it had been there more than an hour waiting for me to get there.

If your luggage doesn't make it on the same flight as you, does the airlines forward it to the next port? I don't see how they could with security, like no way to screen it.

On 1 cruise our flight left at 6 a.m. which meant we had to leave the house at 4:30 a.m. We didn't get to Miami until 12:30 due to a delay. The airlines sent opour luggage to Chicago even though the tag said MIA. we filled out the paperwork on the missing luggage and byt that time it was after 1 a.m. we were afraid that not only our luggage might not make it we were worried that We might not make the ship in time. Long story short the airlines got the luggage to MIA and they took it to the ship.

Not only were we tired from getting up so early to make the flight but were totally stressed out. Not the way to start a cruise!!! From then on we always fly in the day before, get a good nights rest and even if they do lose the luggage thay have a day to get it to us and no stress. Worth the money for the hotel.

What i dont understand, is why isnt the luggage on the same plane the owner is flying on? If the person flying made it to ship, the luggage should also....

Short answer: s&*t happens.

Long answer: For a whole laundry list of reasons. If you have a tight connections, people tend to move faster than bags. If TSA sees something fishy, they can inspect the bag causing it to miss the flight. The bag could get mis-handled or have been mis-tagged.

Typically, for security reasons, airlines do their best to ensure the owner is not separated from their bag. But it does happen. Best ways to mitigate this risk: don't use curbside check in! Around 70% of missing bags get checked curbside! Also, check in nice and early so your bag has plenty of time to get on your flight. When choosing an airline, remember you get what you pay for. If they don't fly to the Caribbean, you might be pooched if your bags don't make it to the ship! And finally, avoid those tight connections when catching a cruise.

How would the airline know what you next port was?? some airlines dont fly abroad.. so they couldnt.

I have my Carnival tag on my luggage as well as an itenerary in the bag right as you open it up.

What i dont understand, is why isnt the luggage on the same plane the owner is flying on? If the person flying made it to ship, the luggage should also....

Lost luggage... then it ends up finally making it's way to where it's supposed to go.

Last time we flew outside of Alaska one of our bags got lost on the way back. It left Dallas TX with us and never made it to us. We filed a claim and received free airline miles. They forwarded the bag to us when it was found.

I just didn't know how it worked with a cruise. Thanks all for the info.

Archived