Freeport or nassau car or cab

AZNative2000

Hi all,

We posted this on the "Ports" board but go no response so trying here.

We are experienced cruisers, but this will be our first time in the Bahamas (Freeport/Nassau). We are not completely enamored with the excursions that are available from the cruise line and were thinking of venturing off on our own to see what we want to see. There will be 4 adults traveling on the Carnival Ecstasy.

Here are the questions:

1.) Can you rent a cabby for the day that would take you around where you wanted to go?

2.) Would it be better to rent a car and if so, how far is the rental facility from the pier where we dock?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :):)

Cheers!

Yes, you can rent a car. I don't know where to go for it, though, since we've never done it.

Personally, I'd only consider renting a car in Freeport. Much less traffic, and seems both easier and safer. Nassau traffic was too crazy for us. I'm sure once you get out of the port area, it's not so bad there either but we wouldn't do it.

Keep in mind, also, that they drive on the left side in the Bahamas but many of their vehicles are designed for right hand drive like ours. If you are comfortable with that, go for it.

Word of caution at Nassau: We were there a week ago. When we ported at 7:00 a.m. the ride to Atlantis was SO quick...we buzzed right there in the van supplied for our excursion with the dolphins. When we returned the traffic was HORRIBLE (around 2:00? 2:30?). The trip took at least triple the time and would have taken long but the driver was good at cutting into lines of traffic and cutting people off. :) I would be really careful at renting a car on my own. I'd also be careful of taking a cab back at the last bit. We left port about an hour late out of Nassau and the rumor mill was that we left behind 17 to 20 people in the Bahamas because they didn't make it back in time! We did watch the pilot boat come to the ship about 10 minutes out and it looked like they brought a couple of them back (don't know how expensive that was!). We loved the Atlantis Day pass with Dolphin excursion at Atlantis. Good luck!

Hi all,

We posted this on the "Ports" board but go no response so trying here.

We are experienced cruisers, but this will be our first time in the Bahamas (Freeport/Nassau). We are not completely enamored with the excursions that are available from the cruise line and were thinking of venturing off on our own to see what we want to see. There will be 4 adults traveling on the Carnival Ecstasy.

Here are the questions:

1.) Can you rent a cabby for the day that would take you around where you wanted to go?

2.) Would it be better to rent a car and if so, how far is the rental facility from the pier where we dock?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :):)

Cheers!

Don't know what excursions you are doing in Nassau, but we did the Sheritan beach, and used the jitney-best 1.25 investment we ever did.:)

We are thinking of just striking out on our own to see what we can. Maybe snorkeling. Your idea sounds good too. Is that available there or did you book it ahead?

Archived