Global Entry

Benita

So far my TSA experience with Delta is as follows: you must be Delta "Sky Priority," that is, gold/platinum/diamond or flying in first class, in order to access the priority TSA line. Once in that line, upon showing the Global Entry card to the TSA official at the podium, you are directed to a special line for the security light inspection. This has been my experience 100% of the time with Delta, at various airports where Delta has the policy as to Global Entry in effect. So, without Sky Priority you would not make it to the priority security line. And, without a Global Entry card, even if you make it into the priority security line, you would not then be directed to the light inspection line. It does not appear that the Global Entry card, by itself, allows entry into the priority security line.

I recently accessed the priority line in Indianapolis and was in coach. I am not gold/platinum/diamond. But I do have a Delta AMX that I got to get the 40K bonus miles and it gives you prioirty boarding , free bag etc. so it must also make you priority for TSA along with my GE.

Have you any experience with other airlines...American, United, or international carriers? Sounds like GE works only with high level Delta passengers??? Confused.

My post above only references using Global Entry for TSA airport inspection purposes, and not the use GE was originally intended for, that is to speed through U.S. customs. It's great for both. But at least for Delta, and I'm assuming other airlines, you must have elite airline status (of at least gold on Delta) to access the elite TSA inspection line, which appears to be required to utilize GE cards for the TSA inspection light.

So, for U.S. customs purposes, no airline elite status is necessary to utilitze GE. For TSA inspection light, it appears (at least from my Delta experiences) that airline elite status is necessary to utilitize GE. Remember that TSA inspection and U.S. Customs are two entirely different programs.

I am not sure about the TSA lines and needing a priority account. I specifically asked about that at my Global Entry interview and was told that as long as the participating airline has my Global Entry number (can be entered online), my boarding pass will have that noted and if the airport participates, like Miami, you can have the "no shoes off" privilege. This was confirmed by the guard when I was waiting on the TSA line. Once again, it is only for domestic flights and only certain airlines - at the present time, Delta, American, and United. They said Jet Blue will be available, soon.

Without regard to whether or not TSA has rules dictating who gets access to the TSA inspection light line with their GA cards, from personal experience with Delta at three airports, the only way to access the checkin for the TSA inspection light line, was to first gain access to the Delta SkyPriority security line, for which one needs either to be gold or higher in Delta's Skymiles program, or flying first class. Whether that's an anomaly at those airports or whether Delta is different from the other airlines, I don't know. I would also guess that TSA doesn't keep track of this or have any rules governing the procedure as to how one gets access to the TSA inspection light checkin or whether it has rules which are being disregarded. Again, in order not to confuse things, this only applies to TSA and does not apply to U.S. Customs situations.

Once again, it is only for domestic flights and only certain airlines - at the present time, Delta, American, and United. They said Jet Blue will be available, soon.

Here is a link to the list of airports (and airlines) using TSA pre-check - just to confuse us, a participating airline doesn't necessarily show up at every airport it serves.

The 5 airlines listed as of today are Alaska, American, Delta, United, and US Airways.

Of the 20 airports listed, only 3 include all 5 participating airlines...hey, at least it's a start ;)

Thanks for the link, babysteps. I guess it will be awhile before my domestic airports are added - Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach, but the avoidance of the passport lines when flying internationally more than makes up for it.

Archived