CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

That is not quite true. Princess pools the funds, Carnival does not. The only way someone gets the extra tips on Princess is if all their people tip the suggested amount and then they can get the extra back. They have to report cash given to them.

Our Carnival room steward said he does not have to report cash tips.

Thank you...... But I am aware of the differences of the cruiselines tipping policy........ you might want to reread my post you qouted

I said if Carnival raises cruise fares by $300pp than might as well cruise on Princess

Bingo....

that is what most people do not realize....

that is exactly what this is....

their SALARY.

Now I hate that this is the way mass market cruise lines handle this...

but, IF I want the privilege of cruising on them.... then I should respect the salary system they set up for their wait staff.

salary is income

tips are income

but tips are never salary.

What ever happened to the idea of a tip or gratuity being a private manner between a service provider and a guest?

Some say the increase in passengers from countries where tipping is either not-customary or uncommon is to blame for the fees. Others, like the cruise lines, say that employees depend on gratuities as a significant part of their income.

Instead of having automatic gratuity charges, cruise lines need to adjust their pay structure to provide employees with a fair wage that is independent of passenger gratuity. This eliminates the problems with passengers from different countries with different tipping customs, cheap-skate customers, and great variances in employee compensation.

This approach will raise cruise fares, but will also evenly distribute the cost of providing a fair wage to employees, and will avoid the bad taste left in many first-time cruisers mouths after they’re expected to fork over hundreds of dollars at the end of their cruise if they want their assistant room-attendant’s family in Ecuador to eat next week.

Those that say if you can’t afford to tip then you can’t afford to cruise should like this plan, as it will weed out the passengers that can’t afford the service at the booking process.

Cruise employees should also like this policy, since they will get a reasonable living wage, and the truly great service providers (the top third or so) will make even more, since some passengers will still insist on tipping them even though it’s not expected or necessary.

Companies are responsible for providing reasonable wages for workers, and if that means higher fares for passengers, so be it. Passing along the operating costs of running a crew in the form of 15% drink surcharges and automatic (and at times unexpected) extra fees above the cruise fare is irresponsible and misleading.

Keep gratuities and tips a reward for great service, and a private matter between the guest and service provider.

But with that thought process Than most americans only do the minimum at work if they dont make tips.

If you are employed by anyone you will get an evaluation.

If they arnt doing their job they get fired or contract wont be renewed

most americans don't have jobs serving other americans, except in mostly the retaurant business.

most americans don't have jobs serving other americans, except in mostly the retaurant business.

Doesnt Gerald Raymond Cahill serve his stock holders;)

I know he serves the cruisers a bunch of BS

They get less from me with auto tips. Same with restaurants that add the gratuity. I keep on the auto tips and that is it. I always tip more but if a place has auto tips I say so be it and let it go. As such I really don't care what they do with them or how they divide them up I could give a crap. And as for a "living wage" that is also not my problem. I have no clue what they make and really don't care. Lots of seniors in the US are living on Social Security of 13k a year. I am more concerned for them frankly.

Where is the proof that this happens. I know of servers in the US who claim they do things to people who complain and cooks who mess up food that is sent back, but other that that I think most people world wide give their best effort out of pride. (except maybe in Mexico.) I have had some bad experiences there. If the job is paying them well, they will not want to lose that job. They cannot be anything better in their homeland.

That has not been my experience with either Mexico or Mexicans. You run into rude and incompetent people in every country, including ours.

Tips has been a fixture with the service industry for a long time. Dealing with the general public can be an awful job and the promise of tips is sometimes the only thing keeping a smile on your servers face.

A tip is a carrot, an employee evaluation is a stick... which DO YOU think motivates better?

So what is wrong in raising fares to cover cost and have no tipping.

So Carnival would have to convince all the other lines to do the same. Obviously aint going to happen. Carnival isnt going to go this alone and not look like their prices are competitive.. if you are raising what you think is a serious question.

NCL is a separate cruiseline. Disney is too and RCL ..Carnival has no control over them and the prices have to be apples to apples or people wouldnt book Carnival.

What ever happened to the idea of a tip or gratuity being a private manner between a service provider and a guest?

Or maybe adjust YOUR thinking and think of this as a service fee. NCL calls it a service FEE. Thats what it is.

Dont let yourself be so hung up on the word gratuity and you will be ok.

Why do you CARE if Carnival and other cruiselines have all agreed to add it onto your onboard account?? Its how its done.. you are not going to change Carnival's mind ..you are the one who needs to adjust, not expect every single cruiseline to change for you.

Or maybe adjust YOUR thinking and think of this as a service fee. NCL calls it a service FEE. Thats what it is.

Dont let yourself be so hung up on the word gratuity and you will be ok.

Why do you CARE if Carnival and other cruiselines have all agreed to add it onto your onboard account?? Its how its done.. you are not going to change Carnival's mind ..you are the one who needs to adjust, not expect every single cruiseline to change for you.

Hung up on a word. It is what it is, a gratuity. How about not getting hung up on what you want it to be, a service charge.

This is Carnival not NCL so as it stands right now Carnival does not charge a service fee.

Hung up on a word. It is what it is, a gratuity. How about not getting hung up on what you want it to be, a service charge.

This is Carnival not NCL so as it stands right now Carnival does not charge a service fee.

gratuity, service charge, same difference. the money ends up in the same place. the room stewards, waiters, assistant waiters (and whoever else is covered) pockets.

Then the staff has no incentive for better service or job performance. They get paid the same whether they do the minimum to get by or really go all out to make the passengers experience stellar.

And they have incentive if tips are automatic?

There didn't seem to be any incentive on my last several cruises.

And they have incentive if tips are automatic?

There didn't seem to be any incentive on my last several cruises.

I could be wrong, but a service charge cannot be adjusted or removed, a gratuity can.

As long as Carny allows the tips to be removed for bad service, cash tippers, or for cheap bastards, I see no problem with the current system.

To the Tip removers in the house, can you remove bar gratutity, camp carnival gratuity, or soda card gratuity?

Let's call it for what it is. Just another form of boosting fares with a cash grab, similar to the resort fees some hotels are starting to charge. Carnival should be paying their staff a living wage and not relying on passengers to augment their income.

Next cruise, I am going to cancel the tips and reward the deserving staff directly. Now some of you are going to howl "what about the dishwashers and other crew members you don't come in contact with". That's just my point. If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change. Tips should be given out in recognition for outstanding service not as a wage supplement. I've had enough of it!

Well, if you were correct, we'd be in agreement.

If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change. Tips should be given out in recognition for outstanding service not as a wage supplement. I've had enough of it!

And then they would simply raise the fares - either way you are paying (or should be).

I could be wrong, but a service charge cannot be adjusted or removed, a gratuity can.

As long as Carny allows the tips to be removed for bad service, cash tippers, or for cheap bastards, I see no problem with the current system.

To the Tip removers in the house, can you remove bar gratutity, camp carnival gratuity, or soda card gratuity?

there is no aiutomatic gratuity in camp carnival, but you can certaimly adjust a bar gratuity.

I read on the NCL boards about people removing or adjusting the "service charge." I guess it can be done if you're so inclined.

I've never been subject to truly bad service on either CCL or Royal. The recommended gratuities are fairly minimal when compared with the total costs of the cruise so why grouse? Do you stiff the waitress at Red Lobster? You do know she shares with her servers and busboys? People you do not directly interact with?

I guess there will always be people who will find a reason to withhold their tips... if everyone reliably paid I'm sure the recommended total would come down.

Archived