Solo on Oceania

Jayayeff

Has anyone sailed solo on an Oceania cruise? I've seen a really good price on a 12 day Med cruise this August (Barcelona - Lisbon 15th Aug on Insignia) but can't find any reviews or anything on any of these boards from anyone whose cruised solo with them. How does open-seat dining work when travelling solo? I know Seabourn solos receive invitations to dine in the evenings with officers, cruise directors, guest lecturers, etc. does similar apply to Oceania? Any info on either of these queries or anything else re Oceania/Insignia would be welcome.:confused:

Just a word of caution on Oceania. When I was pricing cruises, I found that the low 2 for 1 with airfare prices looked great. That was, until I followed up. Solo travelers are NOT eligable for these fares. You have the pay the full price, plus the suppliment. In other words, you pay for 2 full fares. That is why you won't see many, if any, posts about how solos are treated on the line. You could travel an all inclusive for the fare we're given (usually around $5998)!

If you found something else, you really should share it! :)

This cruise is available heavily discounted on all the usual cruise websites but if you want any specific info about the offers I received please feel free to email me jannefas@hotmail.com as I can't name names of specific agencies, etc. on these boards. It wasn't the price of the cruise so much as how Oceania accommodate singles onboard that concerned me plus I see quite a bit of negative postings on these boards about the poor quality of their shore excursions and the high cost of extras (everything from water upwards) once one is onboard.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi jayayeff:

I'm traveling solo on the Regatta 11/5/05 sailing.

I haven't seen much info on Oceania solo cruiser experiences either.

However, I think the 11/5/05 itinerary is so intriguing I decided to go even if I go alone (my husband can't go, my sister won't go).

I found a yahoo-group for this sailing, and everyone's been very welcoming.

Additionally, Oceania cruises are very port-intensive.

I figure I'm here to see the ports and I'll be off the ship most of the time.

Mealtimes onboard are probably when being a solo traveler can cause some minor anxiety.

But Oceania has open dining seating, so I'm okay whether I eat alone or am seated with a group.

"Go with the flow" is a good motto here, I think :-)

Hi Mistik,

I did book the Insignia cruise and although there has been very little response to calls for other passengers on my sailing I did manage to make contact with a couple from Florida on the same cruise. They had already been in contact with two other couples in the USA and all 7 of us are booked on a private shore-ex for one port. Apart from them there has been no response on these boards or Yahoo from any other passengers!!! Although I don't live in the UK I will be flying to Barcelona via London and my UK based TA assures me they have a large group booked on the cruise so maybe I'll meet some of them on the way out!! Like you I'm not too concerned about the daytime hours but I am still a little apprehensive about dining in the evenings. I believe the Grand Dining room has tables 'to share' and the maitre d' will seat a mix of people together but I'd also like to eat in the 2 speciality restaurants however, I don't know if the same applies there???? Hope you enjoy your cruise, I'm certainly looking forward to mine (my first!!) and hope it will be an enjoyable experience too!! Anne

Hi jayayeff:

Yes, the evening dining at the specialty restaurants will be interesting.

I don't care - I'll still dine there and the maitre'd can seat me alone or with people!

Can you tell me why you chose the Insignia (11/17/05) cruise vs. Regatta (11/5/05) ?

Was it timing, overall itinerary, pricing, etc ?

I had considered both cruises.

Both are stopping at Libya ports, which is my main reason.

Insignia would have been less expensive - but it's itinerary is not as new to me (I had visited Athens, Barcelona, Monte Carlo multiple times... I know, I know, life is tough :-)

Regatta's itinerary touched on 7 new ports, so it was more compelling.

I found more folks (on the Yahoo group) who are going on the Insignia cruise instead!

-mistik

Mistik, Misunderstanding, I'm not on the November Insignia cruise that visits Libya, I'm on the 13th August sailing Barcelona - Lisbon which I booked as a late replacement for my original summer holiday plans that unfortunately fell apart.. Although I too have already been to all the countries and some of the ports on that itinerary I'm a British expat who lives and works in the Middle East so going back to Europe is more of a holiday for me than visiting other M.E. destinations!! Got my cruise at a very good 'single' rate and am just looking forward to a relaxing holiday visiting nice locations without the hassle of actually getting myself to them all ... If you have the opportunity to get hold of a copy of Michael Palin's DVD of his BBC TV Sahara series he went to the coastal areas of Libya and there is an interesting section on the places he visited... Not sure if they are the same ones as those on your itinerary but it'll give you an insight...

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone sailed solo on an Oceania cruise? I How does open-seat dining work when travelling solo? I know Seabourn solos receive invitations to dine in the evenings with officers, cruise directors, guest lecturers, etc. does similar apply to Oceania? Any info on either of these queries or anything else re Oceania/Insignia would be welcome.:confused:

I cannot comment on the single issue whether you get special perks or not.....but the dining they will sit you with a larger group of tablemates if you wish. If you wish to dine alone you can do that also.

Check out the yahoo group for more people on that sailing or the Oceania board here. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OceanaCruiser

You will meet lots of new people as you don't usually sit with the same people each night unless you want to of course.

I am sure you will enjoy the High tea at 4 pm in Horizons! :)

Enjoy the cruise

Archived