Early Saver Cancellation Question

bernman

I knew what I was getting into with the Early Saver, but this one is a little different.

We are thinking of changing our sail date on the Magic from 10/21 to 9/30. We are inside the 75 days. We have the Carnival Insurance. If we cancel for "no reason," my understanding is that we would forfeit the cost of the insurance (obviously) but we should be able to get 75% of the deposit in cruise credit and the remainder returned to our credit card.

I ask because I called yesterday while I was driving home and they said no, I lose my deposit + insurance and the balance would be returned as a cruise credit. I did not want to have a protracted discussion in the car, but I will probably call them this weekend to discuss.

I figured I would ask the experts here if my assumptions above are correct. If not, it saves me a call :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last year I cancelled an ES rate and booked another ES rate for a later date. I did not yet make final payment. Carnival moved my $250.00 deposit to the new cruise less a $50.00 fee so my deposit on the new cruise was $200.00. How many days prior to the cruise will Carnival not do this?

Does the insurance not protect that?

Nope, not with Early Saver.

I actually booked a 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and I, but it fell through, so I called to cancel and rebooked a short cruise to nowhere for a friend and myself.

I lost the $50 pp on the first cancelled cruise, then had to put down a new deposit for the cruise to nowhere and was told the $100 would apply to the balance, but couldn't be used for the deposit, so ponied up another $300 deposit. Then I ended up cancelling the cruise to nowhere, as it really did go somewhere. Departed San Diego (fine I could drive and park my car there) sailing to Vancouver, say what????? Thought this was a cruise to nowhere, sailing out of and back into San Diego (that's what Carnival website showed). Only saw Vancouver on the invoice emailed to me after booking. Not going to add $500 in airfare to use $100 credit.

I wrote a scathing email to Carnival, and the really nice Customer Service gal did refund me the money for the 2nd cruise, but not the 1st one.

So I still have that $100 on the books, but will lose it eventually, as I have no current cruise plans.

So you have to be very careful when booking Early Saver. Totally different rules apply. I wasn't familiar with Early Saver (didn't even know that's what I was booked as) the original reservation person didn't explain a thing about Early Saver. The cruises I have been on your deposit was totally refundable until final payment date.

So just a Buyer Beware! It isn't worth the few dollars in savings to book Early Saver with all the different regulations, just my opinion.

Nope, not with Early Saver.

I actually booked a 2 day cruise for my granddaughter and I, but it fell through, so I called to cancel and rebooked a short cruise to nowhere for a friend and myself.

I lost the $50 pp on the first cancelled cruise, then had to put down a new deposit for the cruise to nowhere and was told the $100 would apply to the balance, but couldn't be used for the deposit, so ponied up another $300 deposit. Then I ended up cancelling the cruise to nowhere, as it really did go somewhere. Departed San Diego (fine I could drive and park my car there) sailing to Vancouver, say what????? Thought this was a cruise to nowhere, sailing out of and back into San Diego (that's what Carnival website showed). Only saw Vancouver on the invoice emailed to me after booking. Not going to add $500 in airfare to use $100 credit.

I wrote a scathing email to Carnival, and the really nice Customer Service gal did refund me the money for the 2nd cruise, but not the 1st one.

So I still have that $100 on the books, but will lose it eventually, as I have no current cruise plans.

So you have to be very careful when booking Early Saver. Totally different rules apply. I wasn't familiar with Early Saver (didn't even know that's what I was booked as) the original reservation person didn't explain a thing about Early Saver. The cruises I have been on your deposit was totally refundable until final payment date.

So just a Buyer Beware! It isn't worth the few dollars in savings to book Early Saver with all the different regulations, just my opinion.

Got it...Thanks. Wife just picked up another week of vaca and my work is flexible so thought if we could switch for a cheaper cruise we would. Thankfully, it is already paid for and we don't have to switch.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

Archived