Last minute booking advice

BurtonRiderT6

So I'm already booked for the 11 day Southern on the Sun for October. My dad is interested in going as well, the problem is he seems to think he is going to get a killer deal (50% off) if he waits til the week of the cruise to book it. He has this thought because his travel agent friend told him so. I tried to explain to him what he "might" save on the booking he will make up in the airfare if there's any available. He doesn't understand that the last minute bookings are really the best deal if you live closer to the port. We live in Va which is a quite the hike to Miami. Anyone have any idea's to make him understand since he thinks the travel agent knows best?

Yes - airfare from VA to Miami is going to make it tricky - especially when most of the direct flights from Washington DC to Miami get booked up pretty early and if you are lucky enough to find a direct seat, the price is going to be harder to stomach. if he doesn't mind bouncing around in connections, it is going to be a few extra hours or many extra hours to get to Miami depending on the airline.

My other point would be - if he waits until the week before the cruise to book, are there going to be any cabins left? I have been surprised how few in terms of number there are of cabins not available on some of the cruises I have gone on a week or two before departure. He may be SOL and not be able to get on board if he waits that long. NCL is doing sales to fill up cabins - not sure he is going to get the deal he thinks he is going to get - I don't remember seeing a half-off cabin.

He could book his airfare now and then book his cabin later if he wants to do that - I would also monitor the cabin count. But since it is 11 days (a long cruise for those who take only a week at a time for vaca), school will be in session almost everywhere (fewer people with families cruising) and hurricane season (through November), he can probably get a good deal. But buy the airfare now since fall airfares are currently on sale. Then you can both be happy:)

If he is that adamant, just let him do what he wants....whatever happens will be the learning experience for him and he will then know what to do next time.

By the way, the 50% off that the TA is talking about is most likely 50% off full "MSRP" fare that is in the NCL brochures, and nobody pays that fare.

Just bring up the listings for a cruise leaving next week and compare that price to one that is a month away. I think it will be pretty clear that there is no 50% pricing. The "old days" of waiting right up to or close to cruise time for a bargain are about gone. Ships don't sail with many, if any empty cabins now. Good luck to your dad.

Just bring up the listings for a cruise leaving next week and compare that price to one that is a month away. I think it will be pretty clear that there is no 50% pricing. The "old days" of waiting right up to or close to cruise time for a bargain are about gone. Ships don't sail with many, if any empty cabins now. Good luck to your dad.

Perfect!! I'm glad you chimed in, I wasn't even thinking about that. Thanks

definitely book airfare now and keep an eye on cruise prices im leaving to alaska next week and i am just watching the prices drop lower and lower and lower its crazy! but not for the suites those are all gone- and im in a mini- if he books the lowest cabin now and prices drop he can also always upgrade to a cheap reduced fare balcony lets say when that happens

Archived