Map of Rome is now available offline for android!

juanarcin

if any of you have Android phones, I thought you might like to know that google maps has now made some additional cities avaiolable offline. Im taking a cruise to the eastern med. in october and was excited to learn that you could download certain city maps to be available off line on google maps, but then disapointed to learn that none of my ports were available. but this morning i decided to check and low and behold all but one of my ports are now available! I thought id post this here because I know it would be helpful to those traveling to rome since its one of the new maps.

Why use offline maps?

As most of you know internet charges are insane if you use your phone overseas, so most of us turn our internet off or set our phones to airplane mode. this disables google maps. However by setting these cities to offline mode what you are really doing is downloading the entire maps onto your phones so they work without internet! you can then pull up your maps when in these cities and even use your gps (from my understanding but check with your carrier about using gps overseas...it works in airplane mode on my phone 'g2, t-mobile').

How to get the maps offline

on your phone just open google maps and then go the city of your choice, lets say rome. Once it pulls up rome you just press the menu button and you will now see an option that says 'make available offline'. click on it and watch it download. it is now available on your phone and turn by turn navigation will now be available without using internet!

Keep in mind that these files are stored on your phone and will take up space so dont go crazy grabbing everything! also that you are downloading so depending on your data package you might be charged for the download, so be careful. my plan is unlimited data so it wasnt an issue but some plans are restricted to an amount of data. Hope this helps someone!

For those using iOS devices, CityMaps2Go is an app that will provide viewing of maps offline. A brief description...

★ World's #1 iOS offline map app

★ no network or WiFi required

★ FREE download of 7,800 maps worldwide

★ Ulmon Vector Maps with more content and detail

★ NEW: Wikipedia content!

Read more here. Available for $1.99 on the iTunes App Store.

Lew

if any of you have Android phones, I thought you might like to know that google maps has now made some additional cities avaiolable offline. Im taking a cruise to the eastern med. in october and was excited to learn that you could download certain city maps to be available off line on google maps, but then disapointed to learn that none of my ports were available. but this morning i decided to check and low and behold all but one of my ports are now available! I thought id post this here because I know it would be helpful to those traveling to rome since its one of the new maps.

Why use offline maps?

As most of you know internet charges are insane if you use your phone overseas, so most of us turn our internet off or set our phones to airplane mode. this disables google maps. However by setting these cities to offline mode what you are really doing is downloading the entire maps onto your phones so they work without internet! you can then pull up your maps when in these cities and even use your gps (from my understanding but check with your carrier about using gps overseas...it works in airplane mode on my phone 'g2, t-mobile').

How to get the maps offline

on your phone just open google maps and then go the city of your choice, lets say rome. Once it pulls up rome you just press the menu button and you will now see an option that says 'make available offline'. click on it and watch it download. it is now available on your phone and turn by turn navigation will now be available without using internet!

Keep in mind that these files are stored on your phone and will take up space so dont go crazy grabbing everything! also that you are downloading so depending on your data package you might be charged for the download, so be careful. my plan is unlimited data so it wasnt an issue but some plans are restricted to an amount of data. Hope this helps someone!

Thanks so much for sharing this tips with us .. this is such a good idea !!.. :D

I have a really stupid question. I've heard that it's best not to even turn your phone on when overseas since once you even turn on it downloads everything that has come in during the time it was off. How do you handle this with the map downloads.

I really like the idea of having this if I can figure a way to use it.

Or can you download the same way I did Rick Steves talks onto my Ipad while touring? I did that last summer and did his tours through various places in Rome.

I have a really stupid question. I've heard that it's best not to even turn your phone on when overseas since once you even turn on it downloads everything that has come in during the time it was off. How do you handle this with the map downloads.

Partially correct; however, there are ways to keep this from happening. It depends on your device.

As for maps…. You need an app that contains the maps you need internally or allows you to download the maps you need before you leave home. When in Europe you'll need to turn on only GPS which does not require cell service.

Lew

Archived