Planning for parking at NYC this week!

Universe93B

I've heard some rumors and tried to do a search but didn't get anywhere.

How is parking at NYC cruise port going to be, for our upcoming Glory cruise on August 20?

Is there enough parking spots even if we get there after 12pm?

And the rate is $35, but heard another rumor that they charge extra for SUVs (didn't see this on the website)?

Guest LoveMyBoxer

How is parking at NYC cruise port going to be, for our upcoming Glory cruise on August 20?

And the rate is $35, but heard another rumor that they charge extra for SUVs (didn't see this on the website)?

Not sure what you heard, but don't forget that the people who drove there to get on the Glory the cruise before yours will be leaving the ship and leaving their parking spots.

Iv'e parked at the pier five times and always found a spot. I drive a full size van [E-150] never heard of an extra charge even tho the prices have gone up. The pier is: level one [street level] buses , limo's & vans for drop off. Level two taxi's & cars for drop off. Level three parking on the roof. If you are parking go to level three pay to park , drop off pax and luggage near the huge elevator. Go park walk back to your party take the ele. to level two give the porters your lugg. & tip. Go to check in. Note sometimes the ship returns on a diff. pier they told me when I paid to park. You could park on the return pier makes it easy on debark. Also check the boards on North Am. homeports/East coast departures-lots of info over there.

We just returned from our cruise on Glory today. We had an SUV (Ford Explorer) and it was the same $35. Over the years we've done 9 cruises out of NYC, parked at the pier each time, and never had a problem finding a spot. The only question is whether you end up parking on a pier other than the one at which your ship is docked.

If there aren't any spaces left by your boat, they make you park in the parking lot beside it and walk. It's only about a 10 minute walk- no biggie.

I own a KIA Sorento (fairly big SUV) and they have never charged me extra for it.

Never had a problem getting a space, but the new traffic pattern is a PITB.

But there are elevators to come down to level 2. If you pass one, drop your stuff off first.

And please, don't use the escalator.

We have parked our Ford Excursion and Kia Borrego there and never had to pay an over size charge, this year we are going to try the NYC Waterway at Port Imperial-Weehawkin as it is only $12 per night plus $9 per person for the water ferry. I think it is a short walk to our pier.

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenRoute.aspx

I think it is a short walk to our pier.

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenRoute.aspx

Not THAT short a walk! Especially if you are dragging suitcases and carryon -- it's 10-12 city blocks depending on your ship's pier.

BUT NYWaterway's 50th street bus route will get you much closer -- they will drop you within a block of your pier. Ask the driver. The bus heads north on 12th ave before making a rt turn on 50th street. Piers are between 48-50th street.

Are you sure this is more economical?

Not THAT short a walk! Especially if you are dragging suitcases and carryon -- it's 10-12 city blocks depending on your ship's pier.

BUT NYWaterway's 50th street bus route will get you much closer -- they will drop you within a block of your pier. Ask the driver. The bus heads north on 12th ave before making a rt turn on 50th street. Piers are between 48-50th street.

Are you sure this is more economical?

I appreciate the info from a local, I think it is more economical: at the pier is $35/day x 8=$280 park at Port Imperial is $12/day x 8=$96 plus ferry for 2 R/T is $36 total $ 132.

I have a mobility scooter so 10 blocks should be ok? Is that a few miles or so? My wife could take the bus with the luggage and meet me there, is this a safe area to be scooting around?

Also off subject would you suggest Carnegie or another Kosher deli that I long for?

Thanks a million

I appreciate the info from a local, I think it is more economical: at the pier is $35/day x 8=$280 park at Port Imperial is $12/day x 8=$96 plus ferry for 2 R/T is $36 total $ 132.

I have a mobility scooter so 10 blocks should be ok? Is that a few miles or so? My wife could take the bus with the luggage and meet me there, is this a safe area to be scooting around?

Also off subject would you suggest Carnegie or another Kosher deli that I long for?

Thanks a million

1. The pedestrian path from NY Waterway are fine. Once you get to 42nd street, it becomes tourist-land (Circle Line, Intrepid, etc...) and the pedestrian paths are quite wide. There has been LOTS of construction in this area over the past few years -- ped/bike paths and the "greenway".

2. Safety -- this area is under constant NYPD patrol and surveillance. I'd imagine it's one of the safest places in the world. NYPD everywhere.

3. Deli -- you really need the pastrami ;-) ? Carnegie is good and overpriced. HUGE portions that normal people can't finish. And the waitresses are rude (it's an act). All for the tourists. Locals tend to go to the Stage or Ben's. I live upper west side so I go to Artie's. But my doc says I can only have pastrami once a year if I want to see my 60th bday. So I am a little removed from deli-world. It's not like you can't get a good deli sandwich everywhere now... NYC is simply more expensive and has (fake) attitude.

4. Luggage on the waterway bus -- on a weekday/rush hour - fuhgeddaboudit. Jam packed busses (SRO). I commuted on waterway for about a year... the buses were the most unpleasant part of the trip. But on a weekend morn? Maybe. I would call waterway and discuss.

You can usually get a taxi at waterway and go right to the pier. It would have to travel to the taxi entrance to the terminal at W. 57th street, but it would drop you RIGHT THERE. That's what I would do. About a $7 taxi + tip

NYC also has many minivan taxis with accessible lifts/ramps. That may be all you need. Have fun.

Archived