Checking the no upgrade box

mcgratru

:confused:Do we need them linked for dining if we are all doing anytime dining?:confused:

If so, I better call Princess as I don't remember doing that when I booked us all. Maybe Princess does it automatically, as I booked it all and the deposits all went on my credit card.

No ... just if doing traditional. I forgot about anytime dining being an option.

I have a hunch that these last minute upgrades only occur when the cruise line has several upper level cabins available and wants to fill them and are almost certain that passengers will appreciate the upgrade. I have booked an inside before on a coastal cruise and when we got to the pier we were in a AD minisuite.

When does the upgrade fairy usually hit? I am not cruising until Dec 2012 (feels like years away). Do I need to start checking daily?

If you book through the cruise line, you will get an email if there is an upgrade. It's auto-generated.

The fairy can hit at any time. Based on some things ive been watching, its not all at once and some cabin categories may be upgraded before others, particularly those selling well. I think its fair to say that i fyou book a gty in a category that has cabins available as well, you are less likely to get an upgrade, at least not soon if there are many cabins available.

Princess just added the option a few months ago to be able to upgrade to a different cabin type in addition to any "upgrade."

Princess has ignored the "do not upgrade" and linked bookings in the past and will "upgrade" you without notice or warning. I have no idea how often this happens but it does happen...

Pam -- THANK YOU!

I spoke to our TA yesterday, and explained the two different types of upgrades. Then I let her know that our booking was currently marked "do not upgrade" (to any other cabin). I explained to her that I wanted to change it to "upgrade only to a higher category". She got on the phone with Princess, and within 3 minutes it was changed. A few minutes later I got a revised invoice indicating the change.

This was very important to us since we are in the last mini suite on the port side on the Emerald Deck. The extended, covered balcony was important to us. We will only accept an upgrade to a full suite.

Hopefully, we'll be lucky again. We were scheduled to be in this cabin on our Sapphire New Zealand/Australia cruise, but when we checked in they upgraded us to an aft full suite!

I haven't read this entire thread, but we always request no upgrade. We book directly with Princess and they assign you a Princess Vacation Planner who will help you with any questions. I checked "no upgrade" for our next cruise, but I also emailed my Planner and asked her to make sure we were not upgraded. She got back to me immediately and said she put a big note in my file that we were not to be upgraded. We have done that with Princess and other lines.

I haven't read this entire thread, but we always request no upgrade. We book directly with Princess and they assign you a Princess Vacation Planner who will help you with any questions. I checked "no upgrade" for our next cruise, but I also emailed my Planner and asked her to make sure we were not upgraded. She got back to me immediately and said she put a big note in my file that we were not to be upgraded. We have done that with Princess and other lines.

Is there a reason why you don't turn your booking over to a discount TA?

Is there a reason why you don't turn your booking over to a discount TA?

Yes, they can't beat my pricing. If you work with Princess you will get every discount they offer to TA's. I am booked on an April 2013 cruise and so far I have gotten the lowest price directly from Princess. Since I booked I have gotten an onboard credit, a price reduction and a military discount from them. I have priced my cruises with a TA, but they can't beat Princess.

Yes, they can't beat my pricing. If you work with Princess you will get every discount they offer to TA's. I am booked on an April 2013 cruise and so far I have gotten the lowest price directly from Princess. Since I booked I have gotten an onboard credit, a price reduction and a military discount from them. I have priced my cruises with a TA, but they can't beat Princess.

The right one will ALWAYS beat Princess. You just don't have the right one. I'm not the one to tell about discounts and OBC; I get it from five sources. Keep looking. As for price reductions, same thing with a TA.

Pam -- THANK YOU!

I spoke to our TA yesterday, and explained the two different types of upgrades. Then I let her know that our booking was currently marked "do not upgrade" (to any other cabin). I explained to her that I wanted to change it to "upgrade only to a higher category". She got on the phone with Princess, and within 3 minutes it was changed. A few minutes later I got a revised invoice indicating the change.

This was very important to us since we are in the last mini suite on the port side on the Emerald Deck. The extended, covered balcony was important to us. We will only accept an upgrade to a full suite.

Hopefully, we'll be lucky again. We were scheduled to be in this cabin on our Sapphire New Zealand/Australia cruise, but when we checked in they upgraded us to an aft full suite!

:confused:What did the revised invoice look like? I too marked my booking "upgrade only to a higher category" but could not find anything on the invoice that showed anything about that. On the Princess site my cruise personalizer does show cabin category mini-suite/suite, which I don't remember seeing it listed that way before. Is that what your invoice shows?

:confused:What did the revised invoice look like? I too marked my booking "upgrade only to a higher category" but could not find anything on the invoice that showed anything about that. On the Princess site my cruise personalizer does show cabin category mini-suite/suite, which I don't remember seeing it listed that way before. Is that what your invoice shows?

The original invoice stated:

Special Requests

Passenger(s) Type Description Service Date

Mr. TODD XXXXXXXXXXX OTHER NO CABIN UPGRADE.

The updated invoice states:

Special Requests

Mr. TODD XXXXXXXXXXX OTHER UPGRADE TO NEXT META ONLY.

The Summary Information in the on-line Cruise Personalizer remains the same: AD (mini-suite/suite) under Category.

The original invoice stated:

Special Requests

Mr. TODD XXXXXXXXXXX OTHER NO CABIN UPGRADE.

The updated invoice states:

Special Requests

Mr. TODD XXXXXXXXXXX OTHER UPGRADE TO NEXT META ONLY.

The Summary Information in the on-line Cruise Personalizer remains the same: AD (mini-suite/suite) under Category.

Thanks, I checked with Princess and they assured me I was marked "upgrade to next Meta only". She also stated that there were no other mini's available and lots of suites still available, so "keep your fingers crossed". Here's hoping!!!;)

Any day, any hour, any time. Just keep looking and you may get a surprise.

I have prayed for years for a visit from the upgrade fairy, but in my case it has been any day, any hour, any time, anyone else. :p

Archived