Checking the no upgrade box

mcgratru

We are just back from the amazing ruby and our very first cruise. We spent a lot of time on these boards gathering info before we booked and chose to check the no upgrade box as we were in ov obstructed and had chosen a room with a pretty good view....but low and behold...in the 24 hours between leaving home and arriving to check in at Venice...princess changed our room. It was a great upgrade but I was very surprised. Has anyone else had this happen? It could have been pretty disappointing if the upgrade hadn't been so good or the room had been on the other side of the ship as we really wanted to be on port side for the views on this cruise.

We are just back from the amazing ruby and our very first cruise. We spent a lot of time on these boards gathering info before we booked and chose to check the no upgrade box as we were in ov obstructed and had chosen a room with a pretty good view....but low and behold...in the 24 hours between leaving home and arriving to check in at Venice...princess changed our room. It was a great upgrade but I was very surprised. Has anyone else had this happen? It could have been pretty disappointing if the upgrade hadn't been so good or the room had been on the other side of the ship as we really wanted to be on port side for the views on this cruise.

Unless Princess choose to upgrade me to a full aft suite, I would be really upset. We usually pick the cabin we like and mark it no upgrade. :eek: We usually book aft balconies on the Baja. If Princess gave me a forward mini-suite I would be irate!

Well, as I said it was a great upgrade for us from L104 (OV "E" category) to C434 which I think is a BA. It was on port side and had an extra large balcony.

We were happy but it does make me worry for future bookings that we could end up very unhappy. I know the contract allows them to do this but it was very unexpected.

Well, as I said it was a great upgrade for us from L104 (OV "E" category) to C434 which I think is a BA. It was on port side and had an extra large balcony.

We were happy but it does make me worry for future bookings that we could end up very unhappy. I know the contract allows them to do this but it was very unexpected.

You are correct... that is an amazing upgrade!

I know that this does happen, but I am not sure how regular it is. Beacause it worked out in your favor, we won't know what would have happened if you had wanted your original cabin back. I could see where this would be problematic if you had children in the inside cabin across the hall or elderly parents sailing in the cabin next to you...

Interesting. :)

I think I was told there are two boxes to choose from. One is no upgrade of any kind and the other allows only upgrades to a higher category. (That might be the wrong word for it.) In other words, it allows a balcony room to a mini-suite but not one balcony room to another. Why would one want to choose this second option? We are booked on a B2B next year and want to stay in the same room for both legs. However, if they want to give us a suite for one of the legs, we'll go to the hassle of moving. We didn't want to move just to be more centered in the ship.

I think I was told there are two boxes to choose from. One is no upgrade of any kind and the other allows only upgrades to a higher category. (That might be the wrong word for it.) In other words, it allows a balcony room to a mini-suite but not one balcony room to another. Why would one want to choose this second option? We are booked on a B2B next year and want to stay in the same room for both legs. However, if they want to give us a suite for one of the legs, we'll go to the hassle of moving. We didn't want to move just to be more centered in the ship.
Princess just added the option a few months ago to be able to upgrade to a different cabin type in addition to any "upgrade."

Princess has ignored the "do not upgrade" and linked bookings in the past and will "upgrade" you without notice or warning. I have no idea how often this happens but it does happen.

A few years ago, I was cruising with my sister and BIL in the next cabin. We had AD mini's next door to each other and our bookings were linked. Shortly before sailing, my TA called me to say that Princess had moved me to an AC at the very front of the ship... I couldn't get much further away from my sister. Ugh! My TA was able to get my original cabin back but I'm so glad I had a good TA to fight for me. They're invaluable.

Could someone please let me know where the "upgrade boxes" are. I have never been able to find them. I even called Princess customer service and asked them where I could find them,and they told me they did not know what I was talking about. I always pick the balcony room I want based on certain criteria. Please let me know where this upgrade box is! Thanks:)

Could someone please let me know where the "upgrade boxes" are. I have never been able to find them. I even called Princess customer service and asked them where I could find them,and they told me they did not know what I was talking about. I always pick the balcony room I want based on certain criteria. Please let me know where this upgrade box is! Thanks:)

Now I understand (responded to you on another thread) what you're talking about. There is no "upgrade box." When you make your reservation you tell them whether or not you wish to be considered for an upgrade. Or you tell that to your TA. If you read Pam's post above, it sometimes doesn't matter what you say.

Now I understand (responded to you on another thread) what you're talking about. There is no "upgrade box." When you make your reservation you tell them whether or not you wish to be considered for an upgrade. Or you tell that to your TA. If you read Pam's post above, it sometimes doesn't matter what you say.

Thanks, I can always count on you or Pam for accurate info.

Steve

Marking the "no upgrade box" or telling your TA "no upgrade" does not always work! Family members, party of 3, have just returned from a fantastic cruise. They booked a mini suite midship and had it marked "no upgrade" as one of them is prone to seasickness. When they went to fill in their info on the personalizer, lo and behold they had been upgraded to a full aft suite! They were elated with the upgrade but not happy with the new location. There happened to be a midship suite in the same category available, so they were able to make the switch and had a wonderful cruise. Boy, are they spoiled now! Sometimes that upgrade fairy works in great ways!

Most of the time we decline the auto upgrade and book an inside cabin in a specific location. We would be really upset if we were upgraded to any other cabin (well, maybe a suite), unless they intended doing it for all the linked cruises. We book B2B cruises in a cabin we love and don't want to move

I'm glad it worked out for the OP, but it sounds like for several of us that it wouldn't.

We booked our Jan 2013 cruise aboard the Emerald back in July 2011 for the purpose of choosing the exact cabin we wanted. We are currently booked in B749, a corner Aft Balcony and we have asked that our reservation be marked "No upgrade". I hope & pray they leave our booking alone as this is where we want to be!

We booked our Jan 2013 cruise aboard the Emerald back in July 2011 for the purpose of choosing the exact cabin we wanted. We are currently booked in B749, a corner Aft Balcony and we have asked that our reservation be marked "No upgrade". I hope & pray they leave our booking alone as this is where we want to be!

That is a great cabin. I would be annoyed if they moved me from that one.

I check our reservation on a regular basis to be sure we still have our original cabin. We also told Princess NO Upgrade.

Hope it all works out for both of us.

This happened to me -- Princess upgraded me with no notification,

when the booking was marked 'no upgrade'.

A poster here argued and argued with me that 'someone had dropped the ball', and Princess never would have done such a thing.

I assumed they were an employee, because I don't think anyone else

could have had such blind loyalty.

We bought a bottom grade inside gaurantee, and marked it 'Absolutely Upgrade'. Ended up with inside directly under the theater. Still ten days till we leave. Are you listening Princess. Be nice.

Doug

PS: Actually, while we would like to move away from the theatre for obvious reasons, we will live with whatever results and remember the Golden Rule of Cruising. "Being on a cruise is far better than not!"

2 years ago we booked side-by-side inside cabins for us and our sons (age 16 and 12 at the time) and marked it "no upgrade", since we wanted the boys right next door. We left home on Wednesday to drive to the port and when we checked in for the cruise (Saturday, I think?), she started to write our cabin number on the map and I was like "wait...what?" We had been upgraded to obstructed oceanview, still side-by-side. Whew!

We were very happy with the upgrade and very happy they had kept our cabins side-by-side. If they had split the cabins, there would have been heck to pay! Now, they are 18 and 14 so it wouldn't really matter...

We have 3 cabins side by side booked for our family cruise in November, and we marked them do not upgrade. I thought we would be safe from the upgrade fairy but after reading this thread I see we could be moved. While it won't be what we really want, we could deal with it. Fingers crossed!!

We have 3 cabins side by side booked for our family cruise in November, and we marked them do not upgrade. I thought we would be safe from the upgrade fairy but after reading this thread I see we could be moved. While it won't be what we really want, we could deal with it. Fingers crossed!!

Be sure too that they have the reservations "linked" together for dining etc.

:confused:Do we need them linked for dining if we are all doing anytime dining?:confused:

If so, I better call Princess as I don't remember doing that when I booked us all. Maybe Princess does it automatically, as I booked it all and the deposits all went on my credit card.

Archived