Hotel by the port in Boston

jrmende63

Hi ..I am sorry if this has been asked but I could not get the search to work. We are looking for a hotel that is by the port. We like to see the ship come into port in the early AM. Does anyone have a suggestion? I know hotels in Boston are expensive, I am not worried so much about that as to where to stay. Also any recommendations as where to eat? We should have a rental car...at least that is plan as of now. Thanks for your help.

What date? Why do you need a rental car - it's expensive to park and of no use in downtown Boston. In addition to the Westin and Seaport, you can check the Renaissance as well. Not sure what kind of view you will actually get from the hotel of the ship arriving.

Restaurants include Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen, Morton's, Strega, No Name, Aura, and Anthony's Pier 4 among others.

What date? Why do you need a rental car - it's expensive to park and of no use in downtown Boston. In addition to the Westin and Seaport, you can check the Renaissance as well. Not sure what kind of view you will actually get from the hotel of the ship arriving.

Restaurants include Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen, Morton's, Strega, No Name, Aura, and Anthony's Pier 4 among others.[/quote

My sister wants the rental car to drive up and see Auntie in Salem.. Soo that is why we will have a rental car. But not to drive into Boston!

Are the Westin and the Seaport right there at the port?

We dont go until June...but I like to have my ducks in a row!

Restaurants include Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen, Morton's, Strega, No Name, Aura, and Anthony's Pier 4 among others.

Do you mean from the Renaissance or any of the hotels? If there is not one that has a view of the ships then I guess it would not matter where we stay. I just don't know where to stay ( ie like good areas versus stay away from this area kinda thing.)

The port is in an industrial area, along with a cargo port. The two hotels I listed are close, according to a map (I don't frequent that area).

With regards to the rental car, have you looked in to getting in, checking bags at the hotel, then getting a day rental? Might be cheaper than picking up at the airport, then parking, etc.

I don't know what kind of view you would get or even if you can see the ship very well. It's been a while since I stayed at the Seaport and they have built several buildings since then. The closest hotel to the pier is the Renaissance - perhaps my friend Meg will see this post - she stayed at the Renaissance last month. If one of these hotels does have a view, then you would have to book directly and pay top dollar to get the room location your require.

Once you make a hotel decision, you should think through the car rental logistics. If you're just going to drive to Salem, you might want to pick up the car at a downtown rental location, drive to Salem, and return the car back to its original location. That way you won't have to pay $30+ to park it plus have the hassle of driving around Boston.

Thank You both for your help. I have been to Boston one time on the Carnival Victory and do remember having to be shuttled into Boston. As far as the rental car, I am not sure what my BIL will do. I know we are flying into Boston. That much is concrete!! So I will check out those three hotels. If there is not a view of the port oh well! We will stay the two nights at the hotel and embark the next day. Totally seeing the whole ship!

Thanks again for your help.

My sister wants the rental car to drive up and see Auntie in Salem.. Soo that is why we will have a rental car.

IMO, there is no reason to hassle with a car and directions out of the city. Either get the ferry from nearby Long Wharf in Boston to Salem, a very pleasant trip, or simply take the T to the commuter train station. Once in Salem, taxi to Auntie's house.

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/salem-ferry/

commuter rail Rockport/Gloucester "purple" line from North Station

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/

• 7 months later...

The distance between the hotels in waterfront area technically are walking distance but it's not a fun walk with a suitcase. You have to cross a somewhat busy street and then walk through a rather large industrial park. I know it seems silly for such a short distance but a cab would be MUCH easier.

• 1 month later...
For $2.50 or $2.00 with a Charlie Card you can hop on the SL2 Silver Line bus and get off across the street from the pier.

What is a Charlie Card and where/how do you get them please?

Thank you

A Charlie Card is a plastic card which you can add money to at a ticket machine. The current fare is $2 with a Charlie Card. You can also buy a one trip Charlie Ticket for $2.50. You can usually get a Charlie Card from a T employee at one of the larger stations. However, since they introduced the ticket machines, there are not always T employees around to get a Charlie Card.

Look at http://www.mbta.com for more details.

Unless you are going to be a regular rider (or want the souvenir) just go to a pay station and get a Charlie Ticket. Yes, there is an additional cost, but this way you don't have to go hunting for a Charlie Card.

Interesting trivia, for those familiar with the Kingston Trio, yes the Charlie (card or ticket) is named after that Charlie....

Archived