mississippi river cruises - will there be a problem?

Scottohiocpa

Due to the severe drought, the Mississippi River is at all time low levels. There has been some mention in the news that the river might be closed, too.

Does anyone know if this could affect the New Orleans sailings? Has Carnival said anything?

It was lower here in 1988, here anyway.

I wonder how it was in New Orleans then.

In 1988 here it looked like a creek running thorough a huge dry canyon.

It looks weird here now, but not like it did then.

But I need to go and look again.

I went down to the river two weeks ago and walked around where it would normally have been deep water.

I wish it would rain soon.

The problems are mostly upriver. There is still plenty of water between New Orleans and the Gulf, and the Corps Of Engineers constantly dredges Southwest Pass, where river traffic enters and leaves the Gulf.

I guess it does make sense that closer you get to sea level, the more "normal" the river will look.

I know that a few carnival ships have run aground in the mississippi during regular times, so hopefully they won't get stuck

We took two cruises out of NO and it was great watching us go down the river.

Well, when the Conquest first came out and went to Nola the water got too high for a time and the ship couldn't fit under some lines or something (I don't remember for sure what the obstacle was) but then they just bused everyone to and from another port (I can't remember what port but it may have been Mobile). They did this for a while until the water level came down. The problem has since been fixed. I suppose if the water was too low they could do that again.

Well, when the Conquest first came out and went to Nola the water got too high for a time and the ship couldn't fit under some lines or something (I don't remember for sure what the obstacle was) but then they just bused everyone to and from another port (I can't remember what port but it may have been Mobile). They did this for a while until the water level came down. The problem has since been fixed. I suppose if the water was too low they could do that again.

... in Gulfport, MS - just an hour east. Kinda hoping it happens - I could see the ships from my front porch, and walk to a cruise. It was awesome seeing the Conquest at our dock.

Perhaps another reason to bring Carnival back to Mobile.;)

As much as Mobile would love to have a ship back here full time, I honestly don't think it would be feasible as a temporary port. The Cruise Terminal is shut down and has no employees to handle a ship.

I believe they have even removed the check in counters and computers from the terminal.

... in Gulfport, MS - just an hour east. Kinda hoping it happens - I could see the ships from my front porch, and walk to a cruise. It was awesome seeing the Conquest at our dock.

I'm with you 2Ports-I'd much rather cruise out of Gulfport or Mobile. We are going on the Elation Aug 25th and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we had to cruise out of GPT or MOB. I love the Gulfport/Biloxi area and spent many summers there before Katrina. We still try to make it down for a few days every summer, but I sure miss some of the fantastic restaurants they had before Katrina (Toucans, Chappy's). But we still always go to Vrazels every visit.

The problems are mostly upriver. There is still plenty of water between New Orleans and the Gulf, and the Corps Of Engineers constantly dredges Southwest Pass, where river traffic enters and leaves the Gulf.

Exactly. Louisiana isn't in a drought (yet).

I do wish with all the mud they dredge they would use to help rebuild the wetlands. Has that started (the optimist asks)?

If New Orleans was ever left high and dry, cruising is the least of the worries. As both a major port and a major railroad hub, the cost of goods would skyrocket. Even after Katrina, the port was one of the highest priorities to reopen - I think it was about 3 days. Cruise ships took a little longer.

Archived