Passport Expiry

sweetcurves

Your passport must be valid 6 months from the date of the end of your vacation.

They will require it to be valid for the proper periods because you are non-US resident sailing out of a US port..travelling across international waters to Ocho Rios / Grand Cayman ....then back to a US home port.

I don't believe this is correct.

From the US embassy in Ottawa http://canada.usembassy.gov/service/frequently-asked-questions.html

Expiring Canadian Passport

For Canadian citizens: My passport expires in less than 6 months. Can I still travel to the U.S.?

Your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your planned trip to the U.S.

I wouldn't ask the Canadian passport office about what you need to enter the US, they're not the authority. I 'd recommend asking US Customs & Border Protection (CBP). You can reach them at 703-526-4200.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/customer_service.xml

I understand that they aren't the authority, however they issue passports so I am quite confident they would have that type of information.

Regardless, I'm going to get it renewed before my trip.

I understand that they aren't the authority, however they issue passports so I am quite confident they would have that type of information.

Regardless, I'm going to get it renewed before my trip.

DWJoe is correct, it has nothing to do with passport issuance it has to do with the country you are visiting.

Besides your answer is in post #26

just do it...looks like you are in the Mississauga area and there is a Passport office in one of the Malls there, had ours done a couple of years ago.

To gain entry into the U.S. is fine, but you are also needing to gain entry into foreign soils. Our first cruise was a 5 day which included 2 stops in the Bahamas. I wrote the Canadian Embassy there and got a response back saying I should renew if shorter than 6 months left. You will have to do them anyhow at some point

just do it...looks like you are in the Mississauga area and there is a Passport office in one of the Malls there, had ours done a couple of years ago.

To gain entry into the U.S. is fine, but you are also needing to gain entry into foreign soils. Our first cruise was a 5 day which included 2 stops in the Bahamas. I wrote the Canadian Embassy there and got a response back saying I should renew if shorter than 6 months left. You will have to do them anyhow at some point

I'm in Hamilton actually...and I used to work 4 floors above the passport office! LOL

Also, Cincinnati Reds?

And let's not forget...when you renew a passport any period of time left before its expiration date (up to 9 months) is added onto your new passport.

I have never had this happen in the US when I've renewed always with around 6 months remaining.

But the only reason I need a passport is to go to another country. Never needed one to stay home. It would make sense if the passport needed to be valid for the expected length of the visit. If an emergency mandated you remain in the foreign country unexpectedly then you should be able to go to the U S embassy for assistance.

Every country sets their own laws and I doubt that they much care how much sense those laws make to you;). Fact is for US citizens that there are very few countries where this is a requirement, particularly on a cruise. (And I have never heard of unused time being added to the new passport, either, but if they do that it would certainly help.)

I have never had this happen in the US when I've renewed always with around 6 months remaining.

Same here. Expiration date is exactly 10 years out, not 10 years 4 months. Of course, I last renewed in 2008, so things may have changed since then. I don't think so, though.

Archived