Irons, kettles and hair straightners?

Yes thats right- no travel iron or kettle!

There is a laundry service so you can get things pressed if needed.But others say hang creased things in the bathroom whilst having a hot shower to encourage creases to drop out in the steamy atmosphere.Some say roll the clothes when packing to avoid creases.

You can get free tea or coffee, etc, from the drinks stations in the buffet restaurant.

You can plug straighteners in but the voltage is low.There is a plug point in the corridor outside your cabin used by the cleaners for hoovering which carries higher voltage!

There is a hairdryer in the cabin- in the drawer of the dressing table.

If you have specific queries you can put a key word in the SEARCH box above and get umpteen answers- look for an answer relating to Thomson ships as other cruise lines have different rules.

THere is a useful thread 'things I wish I had known on my first cruise'- I will bounce it up the board for you.

Flopsy

Am I right in thinking we cant take a travel iron or kettle? What about hair dryers etc?

So many questions! Will I get any information through that tells me all this stuff? Not going until may 13 :( excited and cant wait.

Yes you are right in your thinking due to the ships health and saftey regs they are not permitted .

Hair dryers/tongs if dual voltage will work ok but the 230/240 volts will not be of much use due to the ships low voltage in the cabins .

Enjoy planning your cruise the 8 months will soon pass. ;)

Have you read the Thomson page LIFE ONBOARD ? If not its here

hope this helps you :)

Hair dryers/tongs if dual voltage will work ok but the 230/240 volts will not be of much use due to the ships low voltage in the cabins .

Which ship ?

I'm sure we had the choice of 110v or 220v on Spirit last month, each socket was labelled.

There is a plug point in the corridor outside your cabin used by the cleaners for hoovering which carries higher voltage!

Also one in our cabin, down near floor level, for staff use - but requires non UK plug.

I have a feeling, though please don't quote me on this, that you can hire hair dryers once on board ship or there maybe one in your cabin already.

I will quote you! :) There are hairdryers in the cabin.

Which ship ?

I'm sure we had the choice of 110v or 220v on Spirit last month, each socket was labelled.

There is a plug point in the corridor outside your cabin used by the cleaners for hoovering which carries higher voltage!

Also one in our cabin, down near floor level, for staff use - but requires non UK plug.

Hi Weecountyman , sorry about that it should have read ..."Hair dryers/tongs if dual voltage will work ok but the 230/240 volts

will not be of much use due to the ships low voltage in the cabins on some of the ships. :o

Going back to the (ex) Destiny 110/120v (shall we say the voltage they want you to use ) all the ladies were out in the hallways

using the 220v service plugs meant for cleaners use only, or back in the cabins we would unplug the TV and use that socket .:D

I am aware the Majesty and Dreams voltage is 110/220v but was not aware that the Celebration or Spirit had gone to dual voltage

as the online deck plan of the ships still read 110/120v ,so they need to update the page .

Getting back to the OPs post who was not naming any ship, my post was intended as a guide to the fleet .

Thanks for pointing out my post error ;):D

Thank all I can make do with a hair dryer for a week.

Hil yorkshire1975

You could always buy dual voltage straighteners (110-220V). Just remember to switch to low voltage when on ship or you'll trip the electrics:eek:. Put them back to 220V after holiday and they can be used at home. Have taken my dv hairdryer in the past and it works a dream.:)

Just back from Spirit in an inside cabin on Deck 2.

We had a hairdryer in the dressing table drawer, and both a 110 volt American flat pin socket and a 240 volt European round pin socket for use at the dressing table. We took the two types of adaptor and a four-gang extension lead.

The television was in a cupboard recess high up above one of the twin beds so personally I wouldn't have wanted to try and plug anything in to that socket.

Carol x

Archived