Credit card / cash question # 1,787,978 (Long)

hannahsmomtoo

ok

Let me just break down a scenario for you and make sure I understand this correctly...

( For my S&S )

I do not use credit cards.. don't have one.

I have prepaid tips, prepaid all excursions, purchased drink coupons as well as photo coupons for months... and placed $500 on my account over the phone.

I will also be bringing cash for the ports, room service tips.. etc

I forsee some alcohol ( just one adult ) but no craziness.

So **

A family member has offered to add me to their credit card account as an authorized user... so that a card issues in my name.. so that I can use it for check in.. and so Carnival can place those infamous authorizations all week..

BUT..

They don't bill until the end of the week.. so what I owe will come off my OBC, *not* their credit card...

Am I thinking of this correctly?

If you have prepaid all that you stated and have $500 in your on-board account, I don't see any reason to be added to someone else's credit card.

Your charges on-board will be on your sail and sign card. If the amount exceeds $500, they will call you to put up more money.

Shirley

You do not have to put a credit or debit card on your account. Simply tell the check in agent that you are setting up a cash account. Since you already have a $500 credit on your account, you should not have to actually add any cash to the account, unless you get close to using up your credit.

I am pretty sure that you can establish a cash account and not have a credit card on file.

Also, it is my understanding that any charges will go against the OBC you have first, so assuming you have more OBC than the charges, I would not see why they would have to put any holds on the credit card on file anyway. *But I don't know that for sure.*

Am I correct with the order of billing though...

That at the end of my week - it would come off the OBC before anything hit the card?

I am 100% sure that that you can use a cash account without a credit card. You can use a credit card in addition to the cash if you would like.

Any on board expenses will come off of your CASH or on board credits you have FIRST prior to anything beying charged or authorized onto the credit card.

Enjoy your cruise,

I am 100% sure that that you can use a cash account without a credit card. You can use a credit card in addition to the cash if you would like.

Any on board expenses will come off of your CASH or on board credits you have FIRST prior to anything beying charged or authorized onto the credit card.

Enjoy your cruise,

ok - not sure which way I will go... but that answers it completely - Thank you for your help !

You can cruise without having a CC on file - we always plunk down cash as soon as we board and have never used a CC......

ok thanks.. I appreciated the family offer.. but would much rather not risk weird things occuring on their card.. OR me losing it or something!

If I were in your shoes, I would start your spending with the $500 you already have on your account. You can check your balance anytime. If you are getting low, just go to guest services with some cash and add it to the account. If you don't spend it, they will refund it to you in the form of a check the last night. There is no need to get the credit card.

A credit card is not required. Have a great time!

If I were in your shoes, I would start your spending with the $500 you already have on your account. You can check your balance anytime. If you are getting low, just go to guest services with some cash and add it to the account. If you don't spend it, they will refund it to you in the form of a check the last night. There is no need to get the credit card.

A credit card is not required. Have a great time!

They can't "hold" chunks of cash right?

For example if I spend $12.. they will deduct my OBC by $12.. not "hold" $50?

Cash is universally accepted, even SS account.

Also, a debit card is set-up the same as a cash account, they just pre-authorize and hold an amount, usually $500. Only the actual charges go to the card at the end if less than $500. If you use the $500, you can authorize more, if you have it available.

Cash is universally accepted, even SS account.

Also, a debit card is set-up the same as a cash account, they just pre-authorize and hold an amount, usually $500. Only the actual charges go to the card at the end if less than $500. If you use the $500, you can authorize more, if you have it available.

Actually, its $50 not $500

And it doesn't quite work that way on CCL - when you make a charge, a hold for that amount is placed against your debit card. At the end of the cruise, a debit for the entire amount charged to the S&S card is withdrawn from your account. HOWEVER.....the holds remain in place until it is released per your bank's policies.

There have been horror stories where people's debit cards were overdrawn due to this and funds not available for a week or more

Never use your debit card on your S&S account unless you know for certain that your bank will release those holds immediately....

ok

Let me just break down a scenario for you and make sure I understand this correctly...

( For my S&S ) I do not use credit cards.. don't have one.

I have prepaid tips, prepaid all excursions, purchased drink coupons as well as photo coupons for months... and placed $500 on my account over the phone.

I will also be bringing cash for the ports, room service tips.. etc I forsee some alcohol ( just one adult ) but no craziness.

So **

A family member has offered to add me to their credit card account as an authorized user... so that a card issues in my name.. so that I can use it for check in.. and so Carnival can place those infamous authorizations all week..

BUT..

They don't bill until the end of the week.. so what I owe will come off my OBC, *not* their credit card... Am I thinking of this correctly?

Just use your CASH and when you hear that announcement:

"Passenger hannahsmomtoo please dial 7777" go put more money down LOL

Have a great cruise!

Stick with the cash and don't put your name on someone else's credit card. If they default, you default. If they late-pay the card, your credit gets dinged for a late payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I work for a bankruptcy firm and your credit is only affected if you are the JOINT OWNER of the card on the original application. An authorized user would not affect your credit. Only the person that signed the actual application is responsible legally and affected credit wise. This is why it is not recommended to EVER add any additional "authorized users" to ones credit card.

As for the ship, I believe the Parent can just list their card to your room as the person responsible for the payment. You could just be the authorized person to charge on your S&S card, but the bill would be billed to the card on file. Like when parents list their cards to their childrens S&S accounts......or say I was to list my card to my parents stateroom and they pay me back after the cruise so I get the CARNIVAL FUNPOINTS. :)

Stick with the cash and don't put your name on someone else's credit card. If they default, you default. If they late-pay the card, your credit gets dinged for a late payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not the case for authorized users. An authorized user has no financial responsibility at all towards the credit card. They in turn receive no benefits from being an authorized user such as credit score. They are only authorized to make charges on the account.

A co-signer on a credit card would be held financially responsible but would also have to prove credit worthiness before being added.

Sounds to me like she would be added as a authorized user and not a co-signer, which by the way is never ever a good idea unless you are adding with a minor child or spouse as an authorized user. It's a good way to lose a friend and/or end up in small claims court.

I also second the don't get added as an authorized user on a family members account.

This is not the case for authorized users. An authorized user has no financial responsibility at all towards the credit card. They in turn receive no benefits from being an authorized user such as credit score. They are only authorized to make charges on the account.

A co-signer on a credit card would be held financially responsible but would also have to prove credit worthiness before being added.

Sounds to me like she would be added as a authorized user and not a co-signer, which by the way is never ever a good idea unless you are adding with a minor child or spouse as an authorized user. It's a good way to lose a friend and/or end up in small claims court.

I also second the don't get added as an authorized user on a family members account.

You are correct - the addition would be " authorized user ".

The loss of friendship or small claims court isnt an issue in this case, since the card wouldn't have actually been used. But you make an excellent point for the majority of other cases.

Thanks !

Archived