Sheraton Papeete-transfer from airport and to cruise

maygoddess

Okay..we just booked the sheraton for our 2 nights pre-cruise. I convinced my parents that it would be nicer staying there than a downtown hotel like Le Mandarin as I think that first full day there, we just want to lounge by the pool and relax. We are on a budget with my retired parents along so the fancier hotels were out oft he question for us four. We are paying the difference of the sheraton and the Le Mandarin for my parents as it is just to stay somewhere slightly nicer!

So how far from the aiport and from the cruise dock is the Sheraton and if we are coming it at 10pm at night, should we pre-arrange transport with a private transport company or hope for a taxi or two(4 adults) that late?

Once we are ready to leave for the cruise the morning of the cruise, again..should we have pre-arranged transport?

I know Princess arranges transfers, but I have heard they tend to be more expensive than private transport. Any thoughts?

youshould be able to grab a cabto the Sheraton, and also from the Sheraton to the dock.. you might even be able to catch le truck to the dock, check at the front desk. it is very inexpensive. I am surprised that the sheraton is less than the IC. it was the opposite when we went a few months ago.

Second the cab suggestion to both. Not cheap, but a much better deal than ship transfers and more convenient too. Our flight came in much later than yours and we had no problem. The bus (Le Truck) also stops right outside the Sheraton and goes close to the pier but luggage would be a very tight squeeze.

Cheers,

Andy

I third the taxi's. They are available from the airport, even with later flights. And then the Sheraton should be able to call one for you when you are ready to transfer to the ship. You made a good choice, you'll enjoy the Sheraton. :)

youshould be able to grab a cabto the Sheraton, and also from the Sheraton to the dock.. you might even be able to catch le truck to the dock, check at the front desk. it is very inexpensive. I am surprised that the sheraton is less than the IC. it was the opposite when we went a few months ago.

Maybe IC was less expensive because of time of year and were trying to stay competitive..but at all sites I looked at, it was at least $100 more per night for a comparable room..also..even if I wanted to stay at IC..it is now booked up in the basic rooms for the few nights pre-cruise..so Sheraton was one of my only options in the price range.

I think we will like it..my parents have travelled to Tahiti, Fiji, Cooks on land deals and would typically stay at something even more budget than a Sheraton..so this still is an "upgrade" for them! My husband and I if alone on this trip would choose a fancier resort...oh well..it is Tahiti..we could sleep on the beach and be happy..

thanks for all the tips on taxis and transfers...

I personally do not believe any of the hotels offer their OWN shuttles. Most people I hear take taxis or private transport from the airport..I know this is true in Moorea..you can hire a private transport company from the ferry or aiport to your place.

We are arriving around 10pm at night and I heard that we should be able to grab a taxi from the aiport to the Sheraton..as well as one to the dock when we embark.

Just returned from PG and also stayed 1 night at the Sheraton. Some rooms have a musty smell and some don't. Ours unfortunately did but since we were only there for 1 night we didn't do anything about changing. The pool is gorgeous.

Like the others we took a cab on our own to the hotel from the airport. We arranged all our own transfers and it is cheaper than having the cruise lines do it for you. When you leave the hotel to go to the ship the hotel will call a taxi for you. It was 1500 xpf. Most drivers will take US$ but not all. Cabs charge more at night than in the daytime. Le truck (which is their public transportation) is the cheapest way to go by far but it's not something you're likely to do with all that luggage. Short trips to the hotel from the airport and to the pier...approx 10 minutes each.

Archived