Mississippi River shut down in New Orleans

I am on conquest next month and need to be first off the ship when it ports at 7 am.. and I have a 6 1/4 hour drive to galveston to board Magic.

I hope the one way traffic doesnt affect conquest next month.. crossing my fingers.

conquest is a unlucky ship for me. As I said I was on it when Ike wiped out my car and Galveston.

Would it be quicker to exit I-10 in Winnie and go thru Crystal Beach (Boliver) to the ferry. Take ferry to Galveston which is on the East end where the cruise terminal is. Map it out and see. Just a thought....:confused:

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/new/layout.cfm

You can check the water levels on this page. Looks like over the last 24 hours they mostly have risen a small bit. Maybe this trend will continue. :(

Good chance. Louisiana, and New Orleans in particular, is not having a drought. Currently New Orleans is under a flood advisory (no, nothing like Katrina).

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2012/08/flood_advisory_issued_for_new_7.html

Would it be quicker to exit I-10 in Winnie and go thru Crystal Beach (Boliver) to the ferry. Take ferry to Galveston which is on the East end where the cruise terminal is. Map it out and see. Just a thought....:confused:

I think this is the fastest route...but the later it is, the longer the line to get on the ferry is.

I think this is the fastest route...but the later it is, the longer the line to get on the ferry is.

Do they still have the detour around the Lake??? That worked for us in Mar

That's the way my GPS mapped us to go when we sailed out of Galveston last November. Someone from the Hosuton area told us it probably was faster going that way considering the traffic around Houston can be deadlocked sometimes.

Fire

Why not fly? Wouldn't that be quicker.

You apparantly dont know how hard it is to get from Houston to Galveston (its legendary, I have friends who have flown in who say never again out of Galveston :( ). Its the worst port of any I know of to fly into.. no rental car places are open on sunday.. I would have to get a limo or shuttle to get to galveston.. then reverse it to get back to houston to fly to DFW and I have no one to pick me up at DFW.. thats a lot of extra time.. it wouldnt be worth it to me. My TA already sent me non helpfull flights into NOLA>> its to and from Galveston and getting home that is the issue. Not NOLA.

Just saw a news article that 11 miles of the Mississippi was shutdown today. Do we have any word from Carnival?

I have this thread bookmarked. I hope Conquest is not slowed down by one way traffic and late getting back.. Have my fingers, eyes and toes crossed.

If anyone has a update.. lots of us are all ears.

The Mississippi River closure is in Greenville, which is maybe 100 miles south of Memphis. The river meanders, and the closure is 414 river miles from New Orleans.

The current water levels are expected to remain at record low levels until later in October.

The riverboat cruises headquartered in Memphis are going up the Cumberland River in the meantime--rather than traveling south of Memphis.

FYI: The river in Memphis today is 58' below the record flood levels just over a year ago.

Railroads will have a great year moving crops/grain to ports rather than the loads going by barge/tugboat. Transportation costs will add to an already record high prices of corn and grain.

Archived