Barbados Bus for Thrifty Cruisers

rferr

If you are a thrifty cruiser you can take the bus in Barbados. Very cheap and very easy and there are a ton of them. We wanted to go to the Folkstone Underwater Park. Cab drivers wanted a fortune for the three of us.

Instead we walked out of the cruise port and the main bus station is about a ten minute walk down on the left. You buy bus tokens with US Dollars right at the station through a window. We bought them for both trips it was 1 dollar each person.

The bus dropped us off right in front of the park and we snorkeled all day and then going back you just cross the street and get on the bus going the other way right back to the bus station at the end of the line where we started. Could not have been easier. And I dont think we waited ten minutes for the bus going or coming, maybe less. Seems like a lot of them running all the time.

Ditto! Our first cruise when we were new we took a taxi to Folkestone for 15$pp a bus ride home at that time 75 cents.

To add to it, one time after Folkestone we hopped on the bus and rode it way north then circled back to the bus terminal near the port. Was a great cheap way to see so much of the island and meet some locals. Of course the bus doesn't stop so you can take a photo, but it was still wonderful.

Just one word of advice, give yourself some extra time, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you take the bus to and from Rockley Beach?

2012- Carnival Victory – Oct. – S. Caribbean

2012 – Carnival Miracle – April – E. Caribbean

2012 – Carnival Conquest – Feb. – W. Caribbean

2011 – Westerdam HAL – Dec. – E. Caribbean

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – E. Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2007 – Explorer of the Seas - W. Caribbean

2006 – Golden Princess - S. Caribbean

2004 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2002 – Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2002 – Dawn Princess - S. Caribbean

2000 – Carnival Inspiration - S. Caribbean

1999 – Carnival Paradise - W. Caribbean

1996 – Majesty (private) - Key West

1989 – Sovereign of the Seas - E. Caribbean

If you are a thrifty cruiser you can take the bus in Barbados. Very cheap and very easy and there are a ton of them. We wanted to go to the Folkstone Underwater Park. Cab drivers wanted a fortune for the three of us.

Instead we walked out of the cruise port and the main bus station is about a ten minute walk down on the left. You buy bus tokens with US Dollars right at the station through a window. We bought them for both trips it was 1 dollar each person.

The bus dropped us off right in front of the park and we snorkeled all day and then going back you just cross the street and get on the bus going the other way right back to the bus station at the end of the line where we started. Could not have been easier. And I dont think we waited ten minutes for the bus going or coming, maybe less. Seems like a lot of them running all the time.

would you happen to know the logistics of taking the bus to Bathsheba to crane beach and end up at a beach such as rockley? we will be in port from 8-6 and really only looking to take pictures at Bathsheba and crane and spending the rest of the day at rockley or some alternative beach that may be recommended

edit: just came across info stating not possible due to time. trying to see what I can do via bus with Bathsheba definitely being a must stop

Edited by BKLYNPONY
change info

".....trying to see what I can do via bus with Bathsheba definitely being a must stop."

With such a short time window, one is really taking a chance bussing-it to the East Coast.

Now, if you wanted to take the bus to Bathsheba and take a taxi back, that would probably work.

But what are you going to do once the bus drops you off in Bathsheba? Would you walk three miles north to see St. Nicholas Abbey or nine miles south to see The Crane? Busses do run up and down the east coast but not as often as the west coast, you could wait an hour or more to go just a few miles.

Another option is to rent a car. Should be around US$100 + gas.

Perhaps the best option is to hire a taxi with a couple of additional folks. Could work out to about US$7/hr per person and he would take you to all of the great spots.

The bus is dandy on the west coast, but to transverse the island with time restraints is not for the faint-of-heart.

Did you feel safe walking in Bridgetown?

I took the bus the last time I was in Barbados, and felt antsy the whole time, because I felt like I was wasting precious time in port.

If you're with a group, the few dollars more you spend on a taxi should make up for the time you save navigating the bus. I was alone, so if I wanted a taxi, I didn't have others to share the fare, so it was pretty expensive to go where I wanted alone. BUT, I happened on a beach I hadn't heard of, because it was so close to the port, the taxi drivers don't like to recommend it. At first I had asked the taxi driver to take me to, I think, Payne Bay, but we passed another beach on the way, so I had the driver drop me off there for $5 vs $20 to Payne Bay.

I met another couple from my ship who took the Mount Gay Rum tour, and saw this same beach across the street from the factory, and decided to hang out there. We all walked together back to the ship after enjoying local food and beverages at the beach bar.

So, IMO, the bus saves you money, but you waste time. If you've been to Barbados several times, the bus is a viable alternative, but for first timers in a group, I think cabs are more efficient ways to maximize your time in port.

I took the bus the last time I was in Barbados, and felt antsy the whole time, because I felt like I was wasting precious time in port.

If you're with a group, the few dollars more you spend on a taxi should make up for the time you save navigating the bus. I was alone, so if I wanted a taxi, I didn't have others to share the fare, so it was pretty expensive to go where I wanted alone. BUT, I happened on a beach I hadn't heard of, because it was so close to the port, the taxi drivers don't like to recommend it. At first I had asked the taxi driver to take me to, I think, Payne Bay, but we passed another beach on the way, so I had the driver drop me off there for $5 vs $20 to Payne Bay.

I met another couple from my ship who took the Mount Gay Rum tour, and saw this same beach across the street from the factory, and decided to hang out there. We all walked together back to the ship after enjoying local food and beverages at the beach bar.

So, IMO, the bus saves you money, but you waste time. If you've been to Barbados several times, the bus is a viable alternative, but for first timers in a group, I think cabs are more efficient ways to maximize your time in port.

Do you happen to remember the name of the beach?

".....trying to see what I can do via bus with Bathsheba definitely being a must stop."

With such a short time window, one is really taking a chance bussing-it to the East Coast.

Now, if you wanted to take the bus to Bathsheba and take a taxi back, that would probably work.

But what are you going to do once the bus drops you off in Bathsheba? Would you walk three miles north to see St. Nicholas Abbey or nine miles south to see The Crane? Busses do run up and down the east coast but not as often as the west coast, you could wait an hour or more to go just a few miles.

Another option is to rent a car. Should be around US$100 + gas.

Perhaps the best option is to hire a taxi with a couple of additional folks. Could work out to about US$7/hr per person and he would take you to all of the great spots.

The bus is dandy on the west coast, but to transverse the island with time restraints is not for the faint-of-heart.

Okay thanks for the info. I will most likely hire a taxi which is what I did previously. So mainly I would look to go to cherry hill to bathsheba to crane beach (just looking for photo-ops at each spot) then end up at Rockley beach for some relaxation. Do you think this is doable (in port from 8:00-5:00)

Yes, that is doable.

You might consider heading south first and seeing Oistins, South Point Lighthouse, Crane, peek at what’s left of Sam Lords Castle, Bottom Bay, Congor Bay, St. Johns Parish Church, Tent Bay, Bathsheba, north to Cherry Tree Hill, St. Nicholas Abbey then west to Speightstown and south to Holetown and Sandy Lane Bay (north Paynes Bay) and chill at the beach(s) there. You can then easily grab the bus south to the cruise terminal when you’re ready for US$.75 and 10-15 minutes.

These are our best photo opt spots. One could probably spend 15 minutes each and still have an hour or two beach time. Your cab driver will know how much time is doable at each spot.

Have fun! :)

Yes, that is doable.

You might consider heading south first and seeing Oistins, South Point Lighthouse, Crane, peek at what’s left of Sam Lords Castle, Bottom Bay, Congor Bay, St. Johns Parish Church, Tent Bay, Bathsheba, north to Cherry Tree Hill, St. Nicholas Abbey then west to Speightstown and south to Holetown and Sandy Lane Bay (north Paynes Bay) and chill at the beach(s) there. You can then easily grab the bus south to the cruise terminal when you’re ready for US$.75 and 10-15 minutes.

These are our best photo opt spots. One could probably spend 15 minutes each and still have an hour or two beach time. Your cab driver will know how much time is doable at each spot.

excellent exactly what I was looking for. thank you very much. is sandy lane beach close to the bus stop?

Yes.

All you have to do is walk across the street, wait maybe 5 minutes and a bus will be by. Our west coast has great bus service. You could beach-hop south to the cruise terminal for $.75 each hop. If you don't like Payne’s, head south a mile. The drivers are glad to help you as are the locals. Once you're back on the west coast you'll have no worries. ;)

Did not really have to walk through Bridgetown you just walk out the cruise terminal and down the street with the water on your right about five minutes along the waterway to the terminal. I felt completely safe. I had my wife and eleven year old daughter with me and never felt the slightest bit nervous.

• 2 weeks later...

Does this bus service stop at Accra beach, what would the bus fare be and how long would it take to get there by bus? We have been to this beach a few times ,very nice and not crowded.Last time it was $7.50 pp for taxi each way. Thanks!

Buses do stop opposite Accra beach but they are not taken from the terminal near the port.

The terminal near the port is Princess Alice and goes along west coast and up north

You will have to walk about 10-15 into Bridgetown to catch the bus at the Fairchild street bus ternmal.This ternimal serves the south routes. Just ask at the termial for the route number and times of departure

There are also minibuses from the River Road another couple of minutes away.

The local fare is $2 or $1 US. For minibus they will take US dollars change will be given, Government run must have correct money. Lenght of time to Accra is 10-15 minutes depending on traffic.

Goverment run buses are larger and blue in colour , minibus are white with a purple stripe on the side (Small but more plentiful) or larger and Yellow. They can be an experience to take but on your return from Accra you won't have to wait long for a ride back

If you are willing you take can that option just ask any local and they will help you or take a taxi there( Don't know the cost ) and take the bus back.

You decide hope this info helps

We have been into Bridegtown a couple of times now, the last time we walked through the port terminal and along the waterfront for about half and hour, everyone was very friendly. When we were nearly back to port we came across a fish market, my husband is a commercial fisherman and they welcomed us in and allowed us to walk around and watch the comings and goings, the speed they gutted these tiny fish was amazing, it was a lovely experience.

• 2 years later...
Yes, that is doable.

I know that I'm digging up an old thread that you actually answered for me. we did basically what you recommended and it was excellent. we want to do basically the same thing ( as my photography skills have improved ) except this time we would like to include a glass bottom boat at Folkestone Marine Park ( 1.5 - 2 hours ). I heard that it is better to do this earlier in the day rather than later. So my question is does it make sense to do the same thing but in reverse? Or do you think that it really doesn't make that much of a difference as to the time of being at Folkestone?