Back up Plans for Independent Excursions?

FunShipCruiser05

Well in Skagway, Im getting the jeep and going for a ride for the day. No worries there, that doesnt cancel regardless of blizzard or earthquake.

Juneau doing whale watching and then to mendenhall. Whale watching could cancel and probably wont find out til I arrive in port im assuming. Booked thru H&M. Do I put ship excursions on hold since there is no deposit required in case H&M cancels whale watching. Wondering how to go about a back up plan here, or just stick to mendenhall and hiking if whale watching doesnt go thru.

Ketchikan doing floatplane with IW. If she cancels the tours, how do i go about a back up plan as that's the only thing I have planned in ketchikan?

Whale watching most likely won't cancel. Unless there is a mechanical failure with the boat which could happen but is unlikely. I wouldn't worry about this one.

Ketchikan - You can always walk over to the information building where there are several tour vendors and see if you can get an afternoon tour (if it is a morning tour that cancels). I have heard of many cases where they can't fly at a certain time but 2 hours later, the conditions are better.

Well in Skagway, Im getting the jeep and going for a ride for the day. No worries there, that doesnt cancel regardless of blizzard or earthquake.

Juneau doing whale watching and then to mendenhall. Whale watching could cancel and probably wont find out til I arrive in port im assuming. Booked thru H&M. Do I put ship excursions on hold since there is no deposit required in case H&M cancels whale watching. Wondering how to go about a back up plan here, or just stick to mendenhall and hiking if whale watching doesnt go thru.

Ketchikan doing floatplane with IW. If she cancels the tours, how do i go about a back up plan as that's the only thing I have planned in ketchikan?

Your Princess excursion you would have to canceled at least 24 hours before arriving in port to receive a refund/credit - so you won't be able to use that as a back up (unless the price isn't an issue).

There is a possibility that the float plane trip can't go but as mentioned there are options available once you arrive.

Enjoy your cruise!

Whale watching most likely won't cancel. Unless there is a mechanical failure with the boat which could happen but is unlikely. I wouldn't worry about this one.

Ketchikan - You can always walk over to the information building where there are several tour vendors and see if you can get an afternoon tour (if it is a morning tour that cancels). I have heard of many cases where they can't fly at a certain time but 2 hours later, the conditions are better.

Good so the only real worry is the float plane trip. It could go later or cancel all together in which there are other tours when I arrive to partake in. I have an 11-1 trip so perhaps an afternoon could be an option if the 11-1 cant go. But then again, there were 2 seats left a week ago for the 2-4 trip so im sure thats gone. Im thinking Iwings uses one plane, at different time slots. Not like they have several planes. From what im thinking since didnt sound like she had a ton of availability for the date im in port on 9/20

Good so the only real worry is the float plane trip. It could go later or cancel all together in which there are other tours when I arrive to partake in. I have an 11-1 trip so perhaps an afternoon could be an option if the 11-1 cant go. But then again, there were 2 seats left a week ago for the 2-4 trip so im sure thats gone. Im thinking Iwings uses one plane, at different time slots. Not like they have several planes. From what im thinking since didnt sound like she had a ton of availability for the date im in port on 9/20

I have had friends who have had the ship's tour cancelled and then an hour later walked over to the Information Center and booked a tour for within an hour. Conditions can change quickly in Alaska.

Island Wings is different. She usually has all of her time slots filled (as she is one and has one plane) so if you can go at 11, she is usually full on her next slot. Though you are going late in the season. If you can't go at 11, ask her if she is full later. If she is, try the information booth or, try the cruise line. Sometimes they let people book late. You can often see the shore excursion desk out by the ship and they have often booked me on shore excursions that day when my other plans have fallen apart. It is worth trying. The information booth is probably your best bet as they have several vendors there.

Hope this isn't an issue.

theresa

Archived