Labadee: Nellie's Beach Cabana review w/pics. Freedom August 2012

jkskrap

This is an awesome post! Thanks a ton. We will be on the Indy in March, and have already booked our over the water cabana at Nellie's.

Question on attendants: Does your attendant cover several cabanas? I speak Haitian Creole (I lived in Haiti for 18 months back in the 80's), and I would love to spend time talking to him/her about Haiti. I just don't want to monopolize all their time.

He will have more than one cabana to take care of, but will still have plenty of "down time" to talk to you, for sure!

Great posts and pics, OP. We just broke our 100 day mark and can't wait to live it up cabana style on Labadee.

Love your pics - do you have ANY of the cabanas on Nellies Beach ON THE BEACH itself - not hillside or over the water. Do you remember how many cabanas ON THE SAND BEACH - I think there are only a few. And I was wondering how far back they were from the water.

Any info or pics would be appreciated!

Curious too on the beach cabanas. I had assumed the over the water were actually over the water and the beach would be on the beach but still have a view of the water. Is this wrong? It still looks like I have time to change since both are available still.

I'm with the 2 of you. There does not seem to be a whole lot of love for the on beach cabanas on Nellie's Beach. Not many people talk about them, not many pictures to be seen. Sure, there are a couple of posts, but none with the type of info you see about the over the water or hillside. My sister and I each reserved one for our cruise, sort of as a thank you to our parents for taking us (we are 8 total). We opted to go with the beach cabanas because she has a 6 and 3 year old and we just figured the beach was probably the better/safer option. If not much about the on the beach cabanas comes up by the time we get back, I'll make it a point to get it out there.

Jkskrap- were the kayaks shown in your pictures included or were they rentals? Thanks

They were used for kayak excursions. We saw 2 groups use them the day we were there, each with a "guide." I don't believe they were for rent.

Thank you for the answer. I guess we'll have to dry off completely so we don't have to change clothes or change in a bathroom. I just won't be comfortable going back onboard ship in a damp bathing suit.

Don't be uncomfortable - everyone goes back to the ship in the bathing suits - damp or dry:)

Does anyone know how early these can be booked online, I don't want to miss out on my May 2013 cruise? And can you book them BEFORE you pay your final payment for the cruise (75 days before sailing)? Thanks in advance :D

You may want to check now on the excursion page for your cruise. We booked our OTW for May 2013/Oasis some time ago. And yes, you can book before final payment - but you do have to pay for the cabana (like other excursions) at the time of the booking.

Does anyone know how early these can be booked online, I don't want to miss out on my May 2013 cruise? And can you book them BEFORE you pay your final payment for the cruise (75 days before sailing)? Thanks in advance :D

They should be out there now, already booked 2 for our June cruise You have to pay for them when you book as well

Thanks, I "snagged" an OTW!!!!!!!!:D:D Hope we all have great weather to enjoy them (I was on the Allure last month that was delayed due to Isaac, lost 2 days of our cruise and Labadee was canceled :(). No more sailing in hurricane season for us!

Just a heads up....2 days (9-12-12) after I booked my OTW, all the Cabana prices went up $50 :eek: So the Nellie's beach OTW Cabanas are now $250!! These prices are getting out of hand, what do you think? :confused:

wow, I booked mine at $200, I do not think I would get it at $250, too much money I guess we will spoil ourselves for this cruise. I sure hope that they do not try to charge us more if we have already booked.

Just a heads up....2 days (9-12-12) after I booked my OTW, all the Cabana prices went up $50 :eek: So the Nellie's beach OTW Cabanas are now $250!! These prices are getting out of hand, what do you think? :confused:

I too am awfully glad I made my decision to finally grab one of these before the price increase. It was difficult enough to talk myself into the $200 fee, can't imagine I would have "won" the argument with myself for $250 :rolleyes:

wow, I booked mine at $200, I do not think I would get it at $250, too much money I guess we will spoil ourselves for this cruise. I sure hope that they do not try to charge us more if we have already booked.

I'm sure it is just like a price change on the cruise... Can't raise the rate once booked, but I am sure those that book at the higher rate are gonna jump on the phones if the price goes back down.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your review, AND your wonderful photos!! :)

I have booked a Over-the-Water cabana for my Christmas cruise, and I am curious ... how safe did you feel, leaving any of your personal property (i.e.: camera) within the cabana while you swam? Did one of your party stay behind to make sure nothing 'walked away', or was there a safe place available to store it? Thank you for any information you can provide.

We had a cabana on Nellie's beach last week. Oh, what a great memory. We left our belongings in the cabana while we were swimming out in front. We were able to see the cabana all the time we were in the water. I do feel it was a really safe place. The area is gated off and no one without a wrist band usually gets into the areas around the cabanas. The Beach Staff is very good a keeping an eye on things. Just lay a towel over the special things so they are not out in plain sight. When we went to lunch at Barefoot Beach, we did take along our belongings. Unless your are planning on shopping at he open air market, there is no need to take a lot of money along. If any of the local people help you out while you are there, they are working for tips. Your seapass pays for everything that is available on Labadee.

We had a cabana on Nellie's beach last week. Oh, what a great memory. We left our belongings in the cabana while we were swimming out in front. We were able to see the cabana all the time we were in the water. I do feel it was a really safe place. The area is gated off and no one without a wrist band usually gets into the areas around the cabanas. The Beach Staff is very good a keeping an eye on things. Just lay a towel over the special things so they are not out in plain sight. When we went to lunch at Barefoot Beach, we did take along our belongings. Unless your are planning on shopping at he open air market, there is no need to take a lot of money along. If any of the local people help you out while you are there, they are working for tips. Your seapass pays for everything that is available on Labadee.

Wow! Thank you for such a quick, and thoughtful response!! It is gratefully appreciated! :D

WOW, I'm glad I went ahead and booked an OTW at Nellie's when I did for $200. My DH chided me for booking so early, now I can tell him a "told you so".:D But there will be 3 total couples so by the time it's split 3 ways I probably would have paid the difference if I had not booked yet.

It was very good that you booked your cabana well in advance. I had been perusing the cabanas, and trying to make up my mind as to the value of a cabana, in light of the other activities I wanted to indulge ... Initially, the Over-the-water cabana [Nellie's Beach] had been listed at $200.00. It has since increased to $250.00, and I would like to know the correct reason for the sudden steep increase ... Demand? Holiday pricing? I do not believe they now include a bottle of wine with the cabana rental, so I am at a loss to explain what I feel to be a bit of 'gouging'. Am I wrong to feel this way? Does the sudden $50.00 increase cover tips for the attendants? Can anyone offer a plausible explanation, please? Thank you. ;)

It was very good that you booked your cabana well in advance. I had been perusing the cabanas, and trying to make up my mind as to the value of a cabana, in light of the other activities I wanted to indulge ... Initially, the Over-the-water cabana [Nellie's Beach] had been listed at $200.00. It has since increased to $250.00, and I would like to know the correct reason for the sudden steep increase ... Demand? Holiday pricing? I do not believe they now include a bottle of wine with the cabana rental, so I am at a loss to explain what I feel to be a bit of 'gouging'. Am I wrong to feel this way? Does the sudden $50.00 increase cover tips for the attendants? Can anyone offer a plausible explanation, please? Thank you. ;)

I believe the answer is "because they can". Because they have a captive audience and they know people will pay it. But fight the good fight, call and complain. If enough people do, maybe they'll go back down. Maybe if people quit reserving them.

But I doubt that. From all the various chat threads that have dealt with the Cabanas, everyone loves them. And I'm looking forward to mine in February.

I did see somewhere that they are going to build some more cabanas. Maybe they have to pay for them? And by "they", I mean "us"