Labadee: Nellie's Beach Cabana review w/pics. Freedom August 2012

jkskrap

It was very good that you booked your cabana well in advance. I had been perusing the cabanas, and trying to make up my mind as to the value of a cabana, in light of the other activities I wanted to indulge ... Initially, the Over-the-water cabana [Nellie's Beach] had been listed at $200.00. It has since increased to $250.00, and I would like to know the correct reason for the sudden steep increase ... Demand? Holiday pricing? I do not believe they now include a bottle of wine with the cabana rental, so I am at a loss to explain what I feel to be a bit of 'gouging'. Am I wrong to feel this way? Does the sudden $50.00 increase cover tips for the attendants? Can anyone offer a plausible explanation, please? Thank you. ;)

Supply & demand, like any other commodity? If they constantly sell out (with a waiting list) at the current price, it only makes sense to raise the cost. Now, a $50 increase might be a little much, but if that $50 means they don't sell as well, they'll lower the price.

I believe the answer is "because they can". Because they have a captive audience and they know people will pay it. But fight the good fight, call and complain. If enough people do, maybe they'll go back down. Maybe if people quit reserving them.

But I doubt that. From all the various chat threads that have dealt with the Cabanas, everyone loves them. And I'm looking forward to mine in February.

I did see somewhere that they are going to build some more cabanas. Maybe they have to pay for them? And by "they", I mean "us"

Supply & demand, like any other commodity? If they constantly sell out (with a waiting list) at the current price, it only makes sense to raise the cost. Now, a $50 increase might be a little much, but if that $50 means they don't sell as well, they'll lower the price.

Thank you both very much for your replies! Both of you are likely correct. I am booked for a cabana for my Christmas cruise, and I am pretty easy-going, so I can let the extra $50.00 slide. If the revenue is going to build more cabanas, it is providing a job to someone, so for that, I am happy. :D Enjoy your upcoming cruises, SnowBird Cruzer, and Congratulations on your upcoming 30th Anniversary! Best of health and happiness to you and your family, and best of health and happiness to you, S.A.M.J.R. :)

Thank you both very much for your replies! Both of you are likely correct. I am booked for a cabana for my Christmas cruise, and I am pretty easy-going, so I can let the extra $50.00 slide. If the revenue is going to build more cabanas, it is providing a job to someone, so for that, I am happy. :D Enjoy your upcoming cruises, SnowBird Cruzer, and Congratulations on your upcoming 30th Anniversary! Best of health and happiness to you and your family, and best of health and happiness to you, S.A.M.J.R. :)

I booked mine at $175 hillside but i would have paid $225 if that was the price. I agree if it gives someone a job and makes the area nicer!:D

Does the sudden $50 increase cover tips for the attendants? Can anyone offer a plausible explanation, please? Thank you. ;)

I would agree with others that it is simply supply & demand. If sales go down I am sure the price will come back down. It may effect beverage sales, though. That extra $50 would get you 6 Labadoozies . . .

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your review, AND your wonderful photos!! :)

I have booked a Over-the-Water cabana for my Christmas cruise, and I am curious ... how safe did you feel, leaving any of your personal property (i.e.: camera) within the cabana while you swam? Did one of your party stay behind to make sure nothing 'walked away', or was there a safe place available to store it? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Thank you! Your "stuff" will be safe - no worries. Just throw a towel over electronics and/or purses to keep the curious vacationers away. :D

Snorkel gear is available. I think there is a charge but the cabana boy will get it for you.

There were two float mats at ours and he wanted to get two more since there were four of us in the cabana. We only needed the two. We did not ask about snorkle gear. That may be available for the asking as well if you are in a cabana.

• 1 month later...
This was a wonderful treat for those of us that were lucky enough to snag a cabana for the first time! Like reran I was able to get one for the 11/14/12 Oasis cruise as a 25th anniversary celebration for the DH. Less than 90 days left.....can't wait. Thanks again for the great pics.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Here's hoping you had a fantastic time! Did you enjoy your cabana? Please share your experience with us, and include photos, if you can. Cheers! (Here's to another 25 years of love and happiness together!)

• 2 weeks later...

I leave just two weeks from today on the Allure with my husband and three boys. I didn't realize there were cabanas to rent. The price is $250 online, but it says to inquire onboard. :( Has anyone had luck getting a cabana once onboard? The price is much cheaper than most excursions we have planned for a family of five!!!

Thank you all for the info!

I leave just two weeks from today on the Allure with my husband and three boys. I didn't realize there were cabanas to rent. The price is $250 online, but it says to inquire onboard. :( Has anyone had luck getting a cabana once onboard? The price is much cheaper than most excursions we have planned for a family of five!!!

I remember reading somewhere (probably another chat thread) that they hold some of the cabanas for onboard reservation. This will be my first time to a private Island (in <10 weeks too!) so I really can't answer your question per se.

Since this was your first post (and Congrats on that too!), go search for other chats on Labadee cabanas. There are hundreds of them, some older than others.

Just be ready to get in line ASAP when the Excursion Desk opens!

Good luck.

Double check which Cabanas you were reading about. The suite cabanas on Barefoot Beach show up as book onboard all the time. I've never seen Nellie's beach cabanas showing as book onboard. Leaving in two weeks, there's probably not one available, but check onboard.

When I was attempting to book the cabana, I made the mistake of choosing all names in the reservation. When I did that, it said that I had to inquire on board and an error message came up. When I went back and "unchecked" the other names besides my own, I was able to book without a problem. Even though it says in the description that the price is by cabana and not by person, when they give you the names of all on the reservation it can be confusing....

Just wanted to share that for anyone who was having trouble booking.

• 2 weeks later...

HI. So I was wondering for my family of 6.....2 adults and 4 kids...ages 13, 11, 6 and 4 at time of our cruise what would be the best cabana for us. I know my kids would like to play in the sand while we watch them....can they do this from the over the water cabanas?

A quick question. we are in an owners suite and are looking to book a cabana obviously on the reserved Barefoot Beach. We have some other couples travelling with us that are not in a suite. Will they be able to join us in the cabana in the suite guest section? What is the max number of people you can have in a cabana. Thanks.

Yes a total of 6 people can be in the cabana on Barefoot beach. First choice is suite guests.

If they are not sold out to suite guests, they will open up the remaining cabanas to all on the sailing what-ever cabin type.

Who-ever books the suite lists the names of those partying with them at the entrance to barefoot beach and the attendant will issue them name ands and assist them in getting to your cabana.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

We are travelling in a group, just wondering what the chances of getting two side by side are? I'm guessing checking in first?

Also, if we can't get 2, are we able to "share" it among the 12 of us? As in only have 6 people in it at one time? I know in a group of our size there are some who won't want to use the cabana and others who will...

The cabanas on Nellie's Beach are assigned on a first come first served basis. We had one last September and arrived about an hour and a half after the ship docked and got the first cabana on the right side of the beach which was the Handicap accessible one. It had a great ramp that went right down to the water. Loved it. We were the last group to get assigned and it was the last cabana available. I do believe that any of the cabanas are equally as nice. You are all give wristbands to enter the cabana area. There are only 6 wristbands given for each cabana so you will need two cabanas. The wristband gets you into Barefoot Beach for the extend buffet lunch. No wristband, no entrance into Barefoot Beach or the cabana areas on Nellie's Beach. Doesn't matter if all 12 of you will not be using the cabana at the same time, they still will only allow 6 people per cabana. If you can get two next to each other, you can bounce back and forth. I would suggest getting off the ship ASAP and tell the attendants that you want two adjoining cabanas. They usually can accomodate most requests.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I tried to upload the .jpg's themselves, but it didn't work.

So I put them on Flickr and I hope this link works.

We got a Beach cabana on Nellie's Beach. It was great for us 6 adults.

FIL used a wheelchair to get around but he was able to climb the stairs. There was a cabana next to us with a ramp instead of stairs, but he did not want to switch.

I don't know any cabana numbers or anything like that.

The sand was pretty hard packed all over, except close to the water. We were able to drive the regular wheelchair over most of it. Rolex our cabana attendant also showed us some tricks of the trade. We saw the beach wheelchairs but no-one offered us one.

The restrooms were just behind us and FIL said he did okay. They were nice bathrooms, not porta potties.

• 1 month later...

So, they assign the cabana to you once you get on the island, you go to the information booth, correct?

:)

So excited! We just booked an "over the water" cabana...

The last time we were in HMC, we almost booked a cabana, but held out for some reason,, but not this time!:D