Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Well obviously it had to have been finished quite a while ago, as not only will menus had to be printed by now you but also the cooks and waitstaff trained, and most critically the order for food supplies for the restaurant would had to have been placed long ago since they'll be loading up with those goods in Rotterdam.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Menus, along with all the other printed items on the ship, are printed onboard. Likely that will be among the very last things done prior to the first sailing. ;)

I was looking at my reservations, just a BC on deck 14 (near the elevators though so that's a major plus for my parents), but noticed lots of availability for my sailing on the aft-extended B1 balconies, did a couple of numbers crunching, but decided to stay where we are, I can't justify an extra $500 each per cabin to upgrade.

BUT, while I was on the phone with my TA she kept enticing me with that inaugural 5/12 Bermuda trip, I decided to check it out and it appears alot of catagories being sold out!

The water is too cold in May...I would pass for this reason alone. Some people can handle the water temperature....but not me. Not much different than the Jersey Shore water temp in May....

I have been there in April ...freezing May....cold June....bearable

and September...like bath water....LOVE IT:o

I am thinking of upgrading from a deck 14 balcony to an aft-facing for an extra $540. I have 2 cabins, total $1100 upgrade. I was aft-facing in a wrap on the Carnival Victory throughout the Caribbean and loved it. I would be happy in my BC 14th deck balcony but those afts look gorgeous, and there is availability in the HC cabin next door for my parents. Ugh, decisions!

I am not sure if any of you are following RADIO live review, but in any case for those you who are not. Here are some pictures taken today from the Dock repair at Bermuda.

Here are a few more. . .More pics tonight!

Radio

Ahh. . .We can see the Dockyard.

C23.JPG

The Maritime Museum will be a close walk from the ship

C24.JPG

We turn around slowly so we can dock on the port side

C25.JPG

I would love to wake up to this view every day!

C26.JPG

We made it . . . Welcome . . .

C28.JPG

Our Position

MAP2T.jpg

I am not sure if any of you are following RADIO live review, but in any case for those you who are not. Here are some pictures taken today from the Dock repair at Bermuda.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I hope it's ready in time for us! I still can't believe the price tag for that construction project!

The water is too cold in May...I would pass for this reason alone. Some people can handle the water temperature....but not me. Not much different than the Jersey Shore water temp in May....

I have been there in April ...freezing May....cold June....bearable

and September...like bath water....LOVE IT:o

Well can't exactly say that that is very encouraging, because we booked this trip (5/19) with one of our big reasons being snorkeling, and I spent a few hundred bucks to upgrade my gear for this time around. Anyways what you said does seem to contradict what I've read most places (books & online), which says average water temp in Bermuda in late May is in the mid 70s, which is a whole lot warmer than NJ shore water temps at that time which are only around 60-65F (and incidentally, the current water temp on the south side of the island is 66F, which already beats the NJ May temps, so it doesn't have a long way to go). Plus, when we were at Labadee & Falmouth back in early January the water temps were in the mid 70s, and it was absolutely awesome :D.

My parents cruised once before from San Juan around the Southern Caribbean (Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten). The water was like glass, it was so smooth. We had 2 cabins facing aft. No one got sick, my stepmom felt a little moving the last night.

Now, I'm taking them on the Breakaway this November. I have 2 regular balaconies up on deck 14 that are steps from the aft elevators. I'm concerned about movement and motion sickness being that high up cruising down the Atlantic. I have an opportunity to "upsell" to 2 aft facing balconies on deck 12.

Would we feel less motion being in the aft a few decks down from 14? I'm also concered about the buffet above us on 14, although I was under the buffet on the Liberty (Carnival) and heard every so often some chairs/tables being pushed around but nothing alarming.

Should we move?

And being that much closer requires one to be that much less coordinated or coherent in order to navigate back to one's cabin after a late evening of partaking in said "adult stuff" :D:D:D

Yea- so funny how that happens! :rolleyes::D

Well can't exactly say that that is very encouraging, because we booked this trip (5/19) with one of our big reasons being snorkeling, and I spent a few hundred bucks to upgrade my gear for this time around. Anyways what you said does seem to contradict what I've read most places (books & online), which says average water temp in Bermuda in late May is in the mid 70s, which is a whole lot warmer than NJ shore water temps at that time which are only around 60-65F (and incidentally, the current water temp on the south side of the island is 66F, which already beats the NJ May temps, so it doesn't have a long way to go). Plus, when we were at Labadee & Falmouth back in early January the water temps were in the mid 70s, and it was absolutely awesome :D.

Sorry...Joe. Just talking from our experience...and have been there many many times. For US....too cold in May. Beach is beautiful though. Just read an article the other day that even the natives do not go in the water in April and May...Too cold..

By the way...you cannot compare the Caribbean to Bermuda. Totally different world. We have been to Labadee many times also (even in the winter) and you are right...it is warm and beautiful.

I will try to find the article and post it.

A shorty wet suit might be in order. Bermuda Day 24th of May is the first day locals would consider dipping a toe in the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Sorry...Joe. Just talking from our experience...and have been there many many times. For US....too cold in May. Beach is beautiful though. Just read an article the other day that even the natives do not go in the water in April and May...Too cold..

By the way...you cannot compare the Caribbean to Bermuda. Totally different world. We have been to Labadee many times also (even in the winter) and you are right...it is warm and beautiful.

Too cold is a matter of personal preference. As a Jersey Shore local, I don't go in the water until it hits 80 for the few days it does each summer, and I don't scuba dive unless its in the mid-eighties, but then again, I can do it every day, so I can pick and choose when I want to go in, which is usually only when it's so hot on the beach that I HAVE to. Our tourists play in the sixty degree water in June, our surfers surf year-round in the 40's, my friends scuba dive right here pretty much year-round, etc so it really depends on your purpose and your tolerance for cooler water. I agree with whomever suggested a shorty wetsuit, or maybe a long-sleeved rash guard, just to retain a little warmth. The good news is - snorkeling is warmer than just taking a dip, as you are moving quite a bit, creating heat and staying at the surface in the sun.

No, Bermuda is not the Caribbean, but you will see plenty of people swimming, because they are on vacation and may not get the chance to swim in the ocean often. Many wont swim because its simply not hot enough on the beach to make you want to cool off.

Robin

MIAMI – April 9, 2013 – Norwegian Cruise Line today announced the remainder of NorwegianBreakaway’s senior management team, including the ship’s Staff Captains, Chief Engineers,Hotel Director, Assistant Hotel Director, Food and Beverage Director, Cruise Director and keydepartment heads. These senior officers and managers will work alongside the previouslyannounced ship’s Captains, Evans Hoyt and Hakan Svedung, and Hotel Director Denis Prugda, todeliver the line’s most innovative ship to date.

Norwegian will take delivery of Norwegian Breakaway, the ship that will bring the best ofNew York City to sea, on April 25, 2013. Following inaugural festivities and a maiden transatlanticvoyage, the ship will begin a series of seven-day cruises from New York to Bermuda.Seasoned officers, Staff Captain Niklas Persson and Matko Candrlic will be on board tointroduce the vessel to guests during her very exciting inaugural season. As Staff Captains, theyare second in command and report directly to Norwegian Breakaway’s Captain. They areresponsible for the Deck Department and are versed in all of the responsibilities and duties of theCaptain, so that they are prepared to assume command if necessary. The Staff Captains will alsoassist Norwegian Breakaway’s Captain with all operational issues, and all matters involving thesafety of guests, crew, the ship and the environment. Persson joined Norwegian in 1999 andsince has served as Staff Captain on board Norwegian Spirit, Sky and Jewel. When he is not onboard, he enjoys spending time with his family in Sweden. Candrlic joined the company in 2003and has held positions on board other ships including Norwegian Spirit and Norwegian Gem. Heenjoys his time off the ship in Croatia with his wife and children.

Carsten Fosbo will deliver Norwegian Breakaway in the position of Chief Engineer andwhen on vacation he will be relieved by Anders Nedal and Zoran Posa. The Chief Engineer hasfull responsibility of the entire technical operation of the Ship, plays a key role on the ship’s SeniorManagement Team and works closely with the Staff Captain and Hotel Director. Fosbo joinedNorwegian in 1998 and has since served as Chief Engineer on various Norwegian ships includingNorwegian Dawn, Norwegian Star and Norwegian Sky. Originally from Denmark, Fosbo resides inCosta Rica. Nedal joined Norwegian in 1986 and has worked on board Norwegian Star andNorwegian Gem. He spends his time away from the ship with his wife and children in his homecountry of Norway. Posa has been a member of the Norwegian team since 2002 and has spentthe majority of his time working on board Norwegian Sun and Norwegian Sky. Hailing fromCroatia, he spends his vacations there with his family.

Norwegian Hotel Director Sean Wurmhoeringer will assume responsibility for the ship’sentire hotel operation in July when Prugda is on vacation. Wurmhoeringer joined Norwegian in2002 and since then he has successfully operated hotel teams on board Norwegian Sky,Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Star, and in 2010, Wurmhoeringer played a key role in thesuccessful launch and delivery of Norwegian Epic. When not on board, Wurmhoeringer enjoysvacationing with his family in Austria.

Assisting the Hotel Director is Sonja Sommergger who willserve as the ship’s Assistant Hotel Director. Originally from Austria,Sommergger has worked with Norwegian since 2002, in variousguest service roles and on various Norwegian ships includingNorwegian Jade, Norwegian Gem and Norwegian Epic.

Norwegian Breakaway’s Food and Beverage Director Martin Ivanov will oversee all ofNorwegian Breakaway’s 28 different dining options. The role of Food andBeverage Director on this ship is complex, as Norwegian Breakaway boastsmore restaurants than any other cruise ship at sea. But, with his previousexperience on Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Epic,home to 21 different dining options, Ivanov will bring a wealth of knowledgeand experience to Norwegian Breakaway. Hailing from Bulgaria, hespends his vacation time at home with his family.

Heading Norwegian Breakaway’s entertainment team is CruiseDirector Julie Valeriote. With Norwegian since 1999, Valeriote has ledentertainment teams on Norwegian Epic, where she was also part of theship’s inaugural team, and most recently on Norwegian Pearl where shehas cultivated a strong following of guests who admire her constant enthusiasm, positive energyand her incredible stilt-walking skills. When not on board, Valeriote spends her vacation in herhome town of Wellington, Ontario.

Norwegian Breakaway’s key department heads include: Executive Housekeeper MaritesSonza from the Philippines; Executive Chef Anilkumar Chinthapattla from India; RestaurantManager Luiza Andrei from Romania; Beverage Manager Jose Contreras from Honduras; HumanResource Director Sue Hannon from the United Kingdom; Shore Excursion Manager AndreiBruce from the United States of America and Photo Manager Martin Brooks from the UnitedKingdom.

“The delivery of our incredible new ship is right around the corner,” said Kevin Sheehan,Norwegian Cruise Line’s chief executive officer. “We are proud of the senior management teamwe have selected to launch our newest ship. All of them are highly-regarded with proven trackrecords in their respective areas. Together with our seasoned captains and hotel directors, we areconfident that guests sailing on board will have an unbelievable vacation experience onNorwegian Breakaway.”

I have done many May cruises to Bermuda, doing a B2B this year, and have gone in the water every time. It has never felt overly chilly to me. It's not bath water but is comfortable for swimming. Believe me, I wouldn't book in May if there was a chance it would be too cold for a swim...I've been a fish since I was little.

No I appreciate your input, though I was not making a Caribbean-to-Bermuda comparison, but specifically a temperature comparison, where the average water temp in Bermuda in late May is very much the same as the average water temp in some Caribbean locations in January (mid 70s). And the other point I was making is that the water temps there are always going to be at least 10 warmer than at many beaches in the US northeast at any given time (already over 10F warmer). Either way it does worry me that perhaps this might not have been a great choice of May destination for us considering what we like to do, and hopefully we won't regret not just doing another Caribbean cruise for our only vacation of the year. :rolleyes: Guess we'll find out! :D

I have done many May cruises to Bermuda, doing a B2B this year, and have gone in the water every time. It has never felt overly chilly to me. It's not bath water but is comfortable for swimming. Believe me, I wouldn't book in May if there was a chance it would be too cold for a swim...I've been a fish since I was little.

Yay, the first encouraging comment on the topic so far! :D:D:D

As a Brit whose god-son is Bermudan, I find the weather still very pleasant even in November (although any self-respecting native would not consider anything outside of May to September as being truly bearable).

If you love golf, this is the place for you. If you love gorgeous beaches, this is the place for you. If you like chilling out and people watching, this is the place for you. I'd you love keeping busy and rushing around... Find somewhere else!

No I appreciate your input, though I was not making a Caribbean-to-Bermuda comparison, but specifically a temperature comparison, where the average water temp in Bermuda in late May is very much the same as the average water temp in some Caribbean locations in January (mid 70s). And the other point I was making is that the water temps there are always going to be at least 10 warmer than at many beaches in the US northeast at any given time (already over 10F warmer). Either way it does worry me that perhaps this might not have been a great choice of May destination for us considering what we like to do, and hopefully we won't regret not just doing another Caribbean cruise for our only vacation of the year. :rolleyes: Guess we'll find out! :D

Earlier in the season, the water may be cooler, but you will be less likely to run into these...as they like the warmer water...

2387880817_937b884a08_z.jpg

Ewwww...Portuguese ManO'War :eek:

Earlier in the season, the water may be cooler, but you will be less likely to run into these...as they like the warmer water...

2387880817_937b884a08_z.jpg

Ewwww...Portuguese ManO'War :eek:

I heard that the stings by those are insane :eek:

Sounds like a great team to launch the ship. Julie is a lot of fun and will be a great asset to the ship.

I just can't believe we have a cruise director named Julie. Now if she would just marry someone with the last name McCoy . . .

Please tell me I'm not the only one old enough to get that :-)

Archived