Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

you're are all the way in the front of the ship with one of those extended balconies. Noise issue should be none as you have rooms above and below you, unless you get loud neighbors (and trust me it is possible). Overall looks like a nice cabin, my only concern there is the distance to the nearest elevators.

The distance is fine - We will need the exercise LOL Thanks Gambee!

graphicguy - You might want to look at the Skyline Hotel, 10th Ave. & 49th Street. It even has an indoor pool.

We stayed there in January, 2011 because a major snowstorm was coming to N.Y. the night before we were to embark on the Jewel. The snowstorm did come, and we were delighted to be just a few blocks from the ship.

We were on that same Jewel cruise in Jan. Smart idea on your part. We do not live far from Manhaattan, and could NOT get a resevation for anybody (cab) to take us to the ship, due to the upcoming storm. At 10 am on the departure day a local company called us and told us they would be able to take us. Before they tied up a car for over an hour, from Queens to Manhattan, they wanted to be sure they serviced the community. Nice of the company to be thinking of loyal customers, but I was so nervous.

Hello there! I'll be on the October 20th sailing and I can't wait! I'm seeing a lot of people are planning to stay overnight in NYC before the cruise departs and I thought I would post a restaurant recommendation. Victor's Cafe is near the Times Square/Theater District area. Located at 236 West 52nd St, between Broadway and 8th. Great cuban food, great atmosphere and great mojitos! Their black bean soup and Ropa Vieja are excellent.

You can check out their website too: http://www.victorscafe.com/index2.html

I agree the place is amazing! Atmosphere, cozy, and classy. I always get the Churrasco con Salsa Chimichurri so delicious, plus sangria to die for! Great location to Broadway, but honestly there are just so many places to choose.

Whobean, have you ever been to sammy's fish box in city island? If not you must go if you are a seafood lover. Hands down the best most delicious seafood, plus the portions are ridiculous!! I wish I could go tonight, but alas I must count pennies as I am heading to Disney for a week in Sept, followed by this Breakaway cruise.

Someone asked about gotobuses never take them I've heard of roach issues. That is definitely not worth any savings in cost. There is the megabus, from the dropoff you can easily hop a cab to port. Enjoy!

As someone already pointed out, for those seeking information on NYC, there is a a lot of good info on the East Coast Departures board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415)

That being said, some general tips:

1. While Pier 88 is at 48th Street and 12th Ave/West Side Highway, vehicular traffic enters at 55th Street so factor that into your planning. Alternatively, when coming from the south or east, you can have them drop you at 48th & 12th (on the northbound side only) and you can just walk across the highway (yes, there is a traffic light and crosswalk).

2. Traffic on the weekends should be fine, so taking a cab should not be a problem. If you're concerned about the fare, try to get one heading west or north from most of the locations discussed (Port Authority, Penn Station, Times Square, etc) to save on fare and time. During the day in midtown, there are lots of turning restrictions at major intersections that may cause a cab to have to go out of their way to get pointed in the right direction.

3. Hotel rates in NYC vary greatly by demand. A room which is going for $450 one night may go for $199 the next and I've seen rooms at the Waldorf going for less than the Holiday Inn. It all depends on what's going on in the city at the time. Weekends are generally cheaper than weekdays.

4. NYC hotel rooms are generally smaller than what many of you might be accustomed to. I suppose it's good practice for life in a stateroom :-)

5. LGA is the closest airport and the least expensive by cab, though because of its runway configuration, it is subject to the most delays. There is no reasonable public transportation option from LGA. EWR is closer to the port than JFK, but not by much. Cab from EWR costs more than JFK (JFK has flat fare in Yellow cabs, private car service also recommended for both). Both JFK and EWR offer AirTrain connections to public transportation which will take you to Penn Station, but you have to be prepared to schlep and allow some extra time.

Hope this helps!

This is outstanding for a NYC cruise terminal novice like me.

So, looks like I won't be able to come in a day early for the Breakaway's June 2 sail date.

I am able to fly into LGA and land at 11:00 a.m. I'll assume (you know what happens when you assume) that getting my luggage and catching a cab will put me at the pier around 1-ish?

Again, thanks so much!

This is outstanding for a NYC cruise terminal novice like me.

So, looks like I won't be able to come in a day early for the Breakaway's June 2 sail date.

I am able to fly into LGA and land at 11:00 a.m. I'll assume (you know what happens when you assume) that getting my luggage and catching a cab will put me at the pier around 1-ish?

Again, thanks so much!

I would not fly into LGA or JFK on cruise day. Those airports are crazy. I would fly into EWR ONLY if flying United because they own a terminal there and are one of the few airlines who don't get delayed like the other airlines.

I would not fly into LGA or JFK on cruise day. Those airports are crazy. I would fly into EWR ONLY if flying United because they own a terminal there and are one of the few airlines who don't get delayed like the other airlines.

Then you've been very lucky! I always get delayed when flying United. Can't stand that airline.

check this link: http://gonyc.about.com/cs/airlinesairports/a/getto_ewr.htm

Getting from EWR to Manhattan (and back):

Air Train: The Air Train offers connecting service to NJ Transit and Amtrak trains which will bring you into Manhattan. Surprisingly, this can actually be much quicker than taking a cab or bus, and it is much more affordable. $11.55 one way will bring you from Newark Airport to Penn Station. AirTrain connects the NJ Transit "Newark Airport Station" to the airport terminals. Consult the schedule to determine the schedule of connecting trains. Service is available from 5 a.m. until 2 a.m.

Go Airlink NYC: Go Airlink NYC offers shared transfers from EWR (starting at $12/person), as well as private transfers via sedan or van for groups of up to 11 passengers ($64-133/transfer). Rides are available 24 hours a day, though wait times for shared transfers at night may vary.

Newark Liberty Airport Express : Available from 4 a.m. - 1 a.m., these shuttles leave every 15-30 minutes for midtown Manhattan and every 2 hours to downtown Manhattan (from 11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.). One-way fare is $16, but you can save by buying round-trip tickets, as they are $28. One free child under 16 is included in the fare. You can choose to disembark at Grand Central, Port Authority or Penn Station, in addition to midtown hotels. The ride takes about an hour. Return schedules and more information are available on their website.

Super Shuttle: Available 24 hours a day, this shuttle provides door to door service for your party. Fares are $15 - $19, depending on destination. No reservations are required to get from the airport to your destination, but they are required for your return trip to the airport. Consult their website or call 1-800-258-3826 for more information. Book your SuperShuttle Transfer through Viator.

NYC Airporter: NYC Airporter offers transfers between Newark Airport and JFK or LGA airports for $24. If you're traveling from Newark you'll catch the Newark Airport Express bus which will take you to the Port Authority bus terminal where you will catch another shuttle to JFK or LGA.

GraphicGuy - just note that Breakaway leaves at 3 now, not 4. If all goes well, you should easily be there around 1.

Where did you read/find that? Checking online it shows it leaves NY at 4 p.m. and that's also what it says on my E Docs so I'm just wondering. If that is the case, I hope people don't miss the ship!

Harriet

Then you've been very lucky! I always get delayed when flying United. Can't stand that airline.

I do not fly United(can't stand them either!!). If there is traffic, they will delay a (for example) Jet Blue flight before they delay a United flight. LGA, JFK, and EWR almost always have delays.

Where did you read/find that? Checking online it shows it leaves NY at 4 p.m. and that's also what it says on my E Docs so I'm just wondering. If that is the case, I hope people don't miss the ship!

Harriet

Sorry it's the Bahamas itinerary that leaves at 3. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION! :o

I've avoided this twice on the Epic, but my daughter wants to do it on the Breakaway. The jungle theme does look cool. Anyone planning on doing this?

You will hear many opinions regarding the cirque show..but we just loved the one on Epic and definitely won't miss the new one on Breakaway.

You will hear many opinions regarding the cirque show..but we just loved the one on Epic and definitely won't miss the new one on Breakaway.

Agreed....lots of opinions!

We really enjoyed the Cirque show on the Epic and are looking forward to the one on the Breakaway too. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Smae with us, really enjoyed the Epic show and food and will be doing the show on the Breakaway in June!

I did check Amtrak, it's 1 hours and 30 min., whereas Megabus is 2 hours and a 15 min.. However, Amtrak said they have a limit on the size of the luggage and I'd have to take 2 med. size suitcases instead of my one large suitcase. I don't know if I really want to do that as they don't 'check' luggage.

Harriet

On Amtrak, each passenger is allowed to bring two pieces of luggage (up to 50 lbs each) on board with them. All cars have a luggage rack for large bags, as well as overhead racks for small/medium bags (such as a carry-on size).

- Mike :-)

On Amtrak, each passenger is allowed to bring two pieces of luggage (up to 50 lbs each) on board with them. All cars have a luggage rack for large bags, as well as overhead racks for small/medium bags (such as a carry-on size).

- Mike :-)

That's strange. I'll have to call them again. The trains say 'no check in' and when I called they said that my large suitcase was to big and it needed to be the med. size bags.

Harriet

Well, back to the drawing board for me! I was going to book them for a ride from north jersey to the pier. :(

SissasMomE - we took a car service from Northern NJ (Passaic County) to the Manhattan pier. We used VanderPlaat Limousine (https://www.vanderplaatlimo.com). They are very reliable and their pricing is reasonable. They are based in Bergen County.

John

Archived