Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Cubechick wrote this:

There are two carts on the ship. One on the pool deck the other stationed on the waterfront. The dogs are free and you can get them with two kinds of mustard, sauerkraut, onions and relish.

I know a few of you were asking about this.

In a one-on-one interview this weekend aboard the Breakaway's first sailing with passengers, Sheehan tells USA TODAY the new ships are the result of a team effort that was rare at the company before he arrived. Ship design under previous management "was kind of like a little secret thing" done by the CEO without much consultation, and that led to problems, he says.

Sheehan already was CEO in 2010 when the line took delivery of the 4,100-passenger Norwegian Epic, a ship that was designed before his arrival that was widely criticized for obvious design mistakes such as poor lighting above cabin bathroom mirrors and stylish but non-functional sink faucets.

Sheehan says it took 15 months to fix the problems with Epic, which he now calls "a great ship."

Breakaway, by contrast, was done right the first time, thanks to input from around the company, he says.

"We're a team of 20,000 hard-working people, and when we all work together we're going to do much better things that if we work as individuals," he says.

Sheehan says the Norwegian Breakaway also is a symbol of the line's shift from competing on price with low-cost provider Carnival to being a brand designed to go head-to-head with Celebrity Cruises, Holland America and other lines that industry executives often refer to as "premium."

When he first arrived, Sheehan says he told executives that "when we get through this, our brand will be the top brand in the premium category, and I know a lot of people thought I was crazy. Maybe some of them still do, but when you look at this brand Norwegian Cruise Line (today) and you compare it to Holland America or Princess or Celebrity, it really stands up well."

Sheehan says he set a goal of turning Norwegian into the "hot brand" of the cruise industry, and it's a goal he says the company has achieved.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130428/NEWS01/130428003/CEO-New-ship-symbol-Norwegian-s-transformation

Tweet

"he's had to drop fwd two lifeboats to fit into port! "

BJqSdHCCIAEmiJk.jpg:large

Interesting!

Reminds me of being on the first sailing out of Pt. Canaveral on the Carnival Dream (9-night). When we reached San Juan it was discovered that if we pulled up to the pier it could puncture one of the lifeboats. We skipped the port that day, and the pier has been modified!

Tom

Tweet

"he's had to drop fwd two lifeboats to fit into port! "

BJqSdHCCIAEmiJk.jpg:large

I thought this was why they made those new gangways for NY, specifically for the ships that have the overhanging lifeboats? Are they not installed yet?

By the way folks, I will be boarding Breakaway in 12 days. Along with my ULTIMATE review (I will start it after the cruise on May 26), I also plan on doing some LIVE tweets and maybe some facebook posts as well.

Feel free to join me @

https://twitter.com/CruisingGambee

https://www.facebook.com/Cruisinggambee

The Facebook account also has a bunch of my past cruise pictures :)

gambee

good morning

is there a webcam to see her now ported

thank you

Good Morning, Not that I am aware off. But there has to be one somewhere. Ill go look around.

Maybe someone else knows :confused:

Archived