Shuttle Buses (or lack of)

Him and her

Haven't recently had some correspondence with the Silversea Information desk in the U.K. I was a little surprised at one of the replies I received to one of my questions.

I queried whether there would be shuttle buses available (as there was when we last cruised with Silversea, admittedly it was three years ago) from the various ports at which the ship docked, into the town/city centres. The reply came back that taxis would be waiting if required. No mention of buses.

I am a little surprised at this response. Is this another example of Silversea cutting corners (I do hope not), or have the information desk misunderstood my question.

It might also be that the ports about which I was enquiring-i.e. Darwin and Brisbane are near enough the docking bay for passengers to comfortably walk into town.

I would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Many thanks.

As a relatively new guy to Silversea all I can comment on is our cruise this past March. Of our eight or so ports I think only Marseille had ship provided shuttle transportation into the heart of the city. My impression was Marseille was a substantial commercial port and we docked on the fringe of the port, quite a distance from any form of public transportation. The rest of the ports were pretty close...literally right outside of the terminal...to the city.

Our trip was Feb 2011

Can't recall Brisbane, we were driving up the coast so walked the block and a half to the car rental place.

In Darwin there was a shuttle. But my dh and I almost beat the shuttle back walking so obviously, it wasn't far.

In all the ports, I can't recall there ever not being a shuttle unless the ship was right next to the CBD. In fact, in some ports, there have been shuttles when it is quicker to walk.

Our trip was Feb 2011

Can't recall Brisbane, we were driving up the coast so walked the block and a half to the car rental place.

In Darwin there was a shuttle. But my dh and I almost beat the shuttle back walking so obviously, it wasn't far.

In all the ports, I can't recall there ever not being a shuttle unless the ship was right next to the CBD. In fact, in some ports, there have been shuttles when it is quicker to walk.

Thanks Canadian Kate and everyone else for their replies. As I have further queried the apparent lack of shuttle buses, the office in London have now raised the issue with the States to check the exact situation, but like drron29 says, it is to be hoped there are shuttle buses because certainly the port in Brisbane is a 45 minute walk from the town centre. Darwin is apparently a bit nearer at a 30 minute walk.

I just hope this is not a recent change in the last few months-I will be very surprised (and disappointed) if it is, because surely shuttle buses are just part of the whole Silversea high end cruise experience.

Is anyone on a cruise now, or just come back from one and can provide me with any up to date shuttle bus information.

We came off Whisper last week, after cruising from Southampton to Lisbon and back. There was a shuttle bus everywhere that was appropriate (not in Bordeaux, for example, where we were moored right in the centre of the city), so don't worry; they are still there when you need them!

Gwyneth

I emailed Silversea Information Desk in the States yesterday asking whether shuttle buses were still provided and the answer I received was:-

Shuttle service is offered if the port city is more than 20 minutes away from the ship.

This apparently is measured as driving distance.

Wow, that isn't my experience at all.

I've only not had shuttle buses when we were docked in the centre of town.

Many times, the walk back from the CBD was faster than waiting for the shuttle. Therefore, the distance had to be less than 20 minutes by driving.

I would think the distance is 20 min walking. Otherwise makes no sense. I can drive to my office in 10 minutes, but I would never walk to work!

Hi Rachel,

I had exactly the same thought as you and therefore specifically queried it. The reply came back that it was 20 minutes driving.

I can only hope there are short cuts into town because a 20 minute drive translates into quite a substantial walk.:eek:

Him and her.

Him and Her, you might ask your travel agent (if you are using one) to intervene, since you need information that is specific to these 2 ports.

In our many years on Silversea, there have always been shuttles unless, as already noted, the ship is located right in the city and the sights are within an easy stroll. We've never even had to give it a thought.

There could be some exceptions. I seem to recall reading that in some areas (the Caribbean?), local laws prohibit cruise lines from providing shuttles. Or local shuttles might not meet Silversea's needs for safety and comfort. In either case, passengers would have to take taxis.

Him and Her, you might ask your travel agent (if you are using one) to intervene, since you need information that is specific to these 2 ports.

In our many years on Silversea, there have always been shuttles unless, as already noted, the ship is located right in the city and the sights are within an easy stroll. We've never even had to give it a thought.

There could be some exceptions. I seem to recall reading that in some areas (the Caribbean?), local laws prohibit cruise lines from providing shuttles. Or local shuttles might not meet Silversea's needs for safety and comfort. In either case, passengers would have to take taxis.

Hi Seafairer,

I have receved further information from Silversea themselves on this subject and give their answer in italics below.

"I have been advised by head office that shuttles are not available at the ports in Brisbane and Darwin, the city centres are walk able from the pier areas or a short taxi ride away.

The reason I have been given is that over the last couple of years these services have become very expensive and all cruise lines are cutting back."

I am thinking about taking this further and contacting the MD of Silversea directly for comments, because I have read on their website that complimentary shuttles are available in all ports, unless the mooring is directly in the town centre, It is trumpeted as being all part of the Silversea experience.

And at a 20 minute drive from Brisbane, that is hardly the town centre. :(

Archived