Getting to Jost Van Dyke on your own

ComeSailWithME

From Tortola you have a few options, taxi to the ferry in West End and ferry there - here are the taxi rates and ferry schedule -

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/tortola-taxi-fares-rates.php

http://bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_jost.htm

Last I knew there are still a couple water taxi operators in Cane Garden Bay, you would taxi to CGB and back and water taxi to JVD. Glenn is at the watersports shack and the other can be found by asking at Stanley's Welcome Bar next door to Myett's.

We have not used them but bvi360.com was getting decent reviews, I believe he is out of West End. There are also catamaran charters that hit Josts and Sandy Spit with a snorkel stop if your timing works (Patouche, Kuralu, & Aristocat).

I had booked an excursion to JVD that was cancelled the day before we sailed. The day I was supposed to be packing, I scrambled to come up with another way to get there -- we just wanted to spend the day at White Bay -- our first trip to JVD. I finally realized that our only option to have a long time at White Bay was to get a taxi to West End and take the ferry to JVD. I was determined to get the 9:00 ferry so we could spend the day at Soggy Dollar Bar. We got off the ship asap and went to the taxi stand. The dispatcher was much, much nicer than they are on St. Martin or St Thomas. We explained we wanted to get to West End by 9:00. He got us a taxi, she flew along the roads, and we were at West End with minutes to spare. The ferry was basic and fun to JVD. We took the open air taxi to White Bay for $5 per person and asked him to pick us up about 20 minutes before the return ferry would leave. He was waiting for us. When we returned to West End, the taxi we'd asked to come pick us up was not there. But, a couple staying on Virgin Gorda had one waiting and they dropped us off at the cruise terminal. Everything worked out perfectly. It was one of the best days ever! We arrived before any boats in the bay. A perfect day. Go for it!

The "best" option largely depends on how long you are in port. The New Horizon ferry out of WE is a good option when you aren't there long enough to take a cat sail or water taxi from CGB which is quicker. The ferry option is $56 for taxi and $50 for ferry for 2 adults and a tot ($106 total + taxi between Great Harbor (Foxy's) and White Bay (Soggy $ Bar). If you're docked fro 7AM - 3:30PM you could take the 8AM or 9AM ferry there and the 2PM back and have at least 3 1/2 hrs there...never enough but still a fun day.

Josts is best visited when you are staying on Tortola or on Josts so if you get hooked on the BVI as we did consider that in a couple years.

I had booked an excursion to JVD that was cancelled the day before we sailed. The day I was supposed to be packing, I scrambled to come up with another way to get there -- we just wanted to spend the day at White Bay -- our first trip to JVD. I finally realized that our only option to have a long time at White Bay was to get a taxi to West End and take the ferry to JVD. I was determined to get the 9:00 ferry so we could spend the day at Soggy Dollar Bar. We got off the ship asap and went to the taxi stand. The dispatcher was much, much nicer than they are on St. Martin or St Thomas. We explained we wanted to get to West End by 9:00. He got us a taxi, she flew along the roads, and we were at West End with minutes to spare. The ferry was basic and fun to JVD. We took the open air taxi to White Bay for $5 per person and asked him to pick us up about 20 minutes before the return ferry would leave. He was waiting for us. When we returned to West End, the taxi we'd asked to come pick us up was not there. But, a couple staying on Virgin Gorda had one waiting and they dropped us off at the cruise terminal. Everything worked out perfectly. It was one of the best days ever! We arrived before any boats in the bay. A perfect day. Go for it!

Wait, so the ferry brought you to white bay and then you had to a taxi to soggy dollar? You didn't just pull up JVD and have to jump out? Do you recall the name of the ferry?

That was in my earlier post - The ferry goes to Great Harbor (Foxy's) because thst's the capital amd because there is a dock there. Short taxi or boat ride to White Bay. That's why I said you would have only 3 1/2 hrs free if you get the 9AM and 2PM ferries, you will probably have to wait a bit for a taxi both ways.

That was in my earlier post - The ferry goes to Great Harbor (Foxy's) because thst's the capital amd because there is a dock there. Short taxi or boat ride to White Bay. That's why I said you would have only 3 1/2 hrs free if you get the 9AM and 2PM ferries, you will probably have to wait a bit for a taxi both ways.

CCL has a 3.5 hour long excursion costs $99 a person.. do you think saving a few bucks is worth the hassle of taxi, ferry on your own vs CCL excursion?

CCL has a 3.5 hour long excursion costs $99 a person.. do you think saving a few bucks is worth the hassle of taxi, ferry on your own vs CCL excursion?

Yes, personally I would opt for the self-guided tour almost every time depending on the island and the tour or course. If you go with CC you'll be waiting for others to fill the taxi, etc, etc, etc. On your own you may get an extra hour there. I know the drill so there's no sense in taking the ship-sponsored excursion in my opinion. If you feel more comfortable with that then by all means go with that.

I would actually go with the water taxi out of CGB if I could get confirmation it would be available. But that's a little riskier because weather or illness or something else on their end could change alter your plans.

Archived