Why Prepaid gratuities?

Times you would tip cash would be: Room service, additional tip to your bar server can be added to your receit or given in cash, additional tips at the end of cruise towards your room steward and dining room servers are usually given in cash also. Some people also tip the Adventure Ocean staff if they have children in the program. Have never used the Spa services so I do not know if they are tipped.

Gregg

Thanks Greg. Appreciated. Have only cruised once before and that was with Princess. They made the whole thing much easier and simpler by simply automatically adding $15 per person, per day to your onboard account.

I never carry cash around on the ship. There is no need to do so. Room service is no problem because I have cash in the room. I use the Diamond lounge to drink wine daily, but at the end of the cruise I just put money in an envelope to be shared by the entire bar staff. It's not perfect, but I really just don't want to try to keep a count of exactly how many glasses of wine each bar server gave me or to dole out money on a daily basis.

So if I want to give my cabin steward or my waiter something EXTRA he/she has to pool it with everyone? That doesn't seem to give much incentive to go above and beyond?

Don't know how the pre-paid tips are dispersed, but I assure you if you give them extra cash it goes into their pocket (where it belongs) and no one else knows about it. I always tip extra. I have always had great service on every ship, whether Carnival or Royal C.

Archived