Southampton to San Francisco

dorsetlad

We are looking at options for 2014, and although the 2014 cruises are not yet listed, we have been looking at the 2013 version on Aurora. We presume they will do similar in 2014. Has anyone done this cruise, it sounds really exciting?

Brian

We are looking at options for 2014, and although the 2014 cruises are not yet listed, we have been looking at the 2013 version on Aurora. We presume they will do similar in 2014. Has anyone done this cruise, it sounds really exciting?

Brian

The 2014 World Cruise brochure is online now.

http://content.yudu.com/A1y1np/POCworld14/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pocruises.com%2Fpre-reg-2014%2F

There is no real wow factor about the new 2014 itineraries. In previous years there has been some real great cruises planned but nothing seems enticing on for 2014.

One thing I am noticing is that the ships are hardly touching the Caribbean. It would be great if they could stop at a few more islands instead of one or two then going straight through the Panama Canal. I suppose they dont want to do this as it will take sales from their ships based in the Caribbean.

The Asia section looks great on Adonia. In my personal opinion there should be more focus on the more remote locations rather than spreading the voyage out and trying to get around the world as quick as possible. For the people that want Southampton to San Francisco I think there should be more Caribbean ports as well as more stops in Mexico and surrounding countries. Those areas are waiting to be explored and are missing out on the attention.

Yes, I saw that, but it takes 7 or 8 days to get to New York, whereas Aurora seems to have less sea days and more port days. In any event we may not be able to do it, as we are on Aurora for Christmas & New Year 2013/14, so a January sailing to San Francisco would be too soon. It would be nice to see a line that does it later in the year, but we would still want to sail from or return to Southampton if possible. Perhaps a bit much to ask.

Brian

I forgot to say that I have done the Southampton to Sydney sector on Oriana back in 2007. The Caribbean ports were Barbados, Curacao and Isla De Margarita then Panama Canal, Acapulco and San Francisco. It stopped in Madeira before crossing the Atlantic.

I would love to do another sector like that again as the Caribbean was paradise to me and I would have loved more time there. San Francisco was a bit cold and the weather in Honolulu was not as hot as the Caribbean or Mexico. I found that sector of the cruise got allot of the more active passengers and it was a more lively cruise.

I now see that next year Arcadia is doing the reverse run in March which would be a better month for us and for the weather. The only drawback I can see is arriving in San Francisco jet lagged, and not able to fully appreciate the time we have there. I would much rather sail out and fly home. Am I being too fussy?:confused:

Brian

I forgot to say that I have done the Southampton to Sydney sector on Oriana back in 2007. The Caribbean ports were Barbados, Curacao and Isla De Margarita then Panama Canal, Acapulco and San Francisco. It stopped in Madeira before crossing the Atlantic.

we were on the same cruise, but in those days we didn't spend as much time on the cruise forums so didn't "know" you!

Dorsetlad

You could always stay a few days in San Francisco to get over the jet lag? P&O are always flexible about flight dates (within reason of course!)

Yes, we are staying on in Australia for a week to fly to Melbourne and then back to UK with two nights in Singapore. P&O were very helpful with us in organising our flights.

Yes, I saw that, but it takes 7 or 8 days to get to New York, whereas Aurora seems to have less sea days and more port days. In any event we may not be able to do it, as we are on Aurora for Christmas & New Year 2013/14, so a January sailing to San Francisco would be too soon. It would be nice to see a line that does it later in the year, but we would still want to sail from or return to Southampton if possible. Perhaps a bit much to ask.

Brian

Arcadia is doing San Francisco-Southampton in March 2013 and they do a very good deal on the moment on the Aurora Southampton-San Francisco one!

The San Francisco to Southampton next March is looking favourite. Unfortunately we already have a 2 weeks Med cruise on Oceana in May,and can't afford both, as we are also booked on Aurora's Christmas/New Year cruise next year. I am currently in negotiation with P&O to transfer the Med cruise booking to the San Francisco one, with a 3 day stay before joining the cruise. May get away with a £100 admin fee.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Brian

Not sure of the exact itinary of the cruise you are looking at , but just wanted to say we cruised this year on Oriana from San Francisco to Southampton. It was a brilliant cruise with a great mix of destinations & sea days. Going through the Panama Canal was very interesting. I would def suggest you spend time in San Francisco & not fly straight home

I'm afraid we are no longer doing this cruise. There was a terrific offer online, with free flights and outside cabin to balcony upgrade. With the price of cabins offered, we could have booked for around £2500 each plus the 3 day pre cruise stay. When I spoke to P&O on the phone, they could not meet the price quoted online.:mad: I therefore decided to book online and loose the deposit on the Med cruise. However once you start going through the booking process, the upgrade was not offered, and the cabin prices were more than stated, and in addition the free flights were not offered.. The end result was that the final price was far outside our budget. I think P&O need to get their act together, and sell what they are offering, instead of drawing people in with false promises.

We are now going to revert to something we were going to do a couple of years ago, and do a 2 week coach tour starting and finishing in San Francisco, and visiting Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite Park etc. It will cost about half the price of the cruise.:)

Brian

I'm afraid we are no longer doing this cruise. There was a terrific offer online, with free flights and outside cabin to balcony upgrade. With the price of cabins offered, we could have booked for around £2500 each plus the 3 day pre cruise stay. When I spoke to P&O on the phone, they could not meet the price quoted online.:mad: I therefore decided to book online and loose the deposit on the Med cruise. However once you start going through the booking process, the upgrade was not offered, and the cabin prices were more than stated, and in addition the free flights were not offered.. The end result was that the final price was far outside our budget. I think P&O need to get their act together, and sell what they are offering, instead of drawing people in with false promises.

We are now going to revert to something we were going to do a couple of years ago, and do a 2 week coach tour starting and finishing in San Francisco, and visiting Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yosemite Park etc. It will cost about half the price of the cruise.:)

Brian

Hi Brian, don't know if you like rail travel but Great Rail Journeys do some good land tours. We are thinking about doing one next summer. Take a look at http://www.greatrail.com/tours/usa-coast-to-coast.aspx?tc=USG3

We've bitten the bullet and booked the 16 day coach tour I mentioned earlier, through Archers Direct, for next September.:D They offer return coach travel to the airport for £9 per person, and a night at the airport hotel for £29 per room. As the flight is 1035, we would have to leave Weymouth around 0200, so we will travel up the day before and stay in the hotel. We used them for a New England in the Fall coach tour in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed it. They also offer a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon which we will probably do.:eek: P&O have dipped out on this one.:p

Brian

Archived