Camp Carnival for 2 Year Old

We're planning to try Camp Carnival with my 2yr old son and was wondering if on the first day or any day really parents are able to stay a little while to acclimate their child. Our son has never been in daycare and though he interacts well with other children, he's not exposed to many adults. I just envision us leaving him and being paged 5 minutes later because he's freaking out with the counselors. Any parents out there with 2 yr old camp carnival tips/advice is appreciated!

They will give him ample time to "calm down", should he freak out. Adults aren't allowed to hang around...and that's a good thing! You wouldn't want other adults hanging around your child....others don't want YOU hanging around their child!

These counselors are GOOD....they will do all in their power to interact with your child...and the great majority of kids are just fine.

Don't worry about things that haven't happened yet!

Thanks. Hopefully it won't be a problem and I'm not asking for one either, just know my child. I don't have any interest hanging around other peoples children either, just wanted some time to play with my child and have him relaxed before we leave.

I was hoping to be able to stay with my girls our first time at Camp Carnival too - it was the week after they turned two and they had never been in day care. I got some great advice here that it's better to leave quickly - that the longer I stayed would not make it easier for me to leave, just make it harder. Since Carnival takes two year olds, they're very used to kids who've not been away from their moms before. I did stand around the corner where my girls couldn't see me, but I could hear them crying. Sure enough, they would stop pretty quickly. Unfortunately, after a little while one of my girls would start missing me and I would get the call, but the "drop and run" was successful for us.

All the best,

Mia

We're planning to try Camp Carnival with my 2yr old son and was wondering if on the first day or any day really parents are able to stay a little while to acclimate their child. Our son has never been in daycare and though he interacts well with other children, he's not exposed to many adults. I just envision us leaving him and being paged 5 minutes later because he's freaking out with the counselors. Any parents out there with 2 yr old camp carnival tips/advice is appreciated!

Advice, on embarkation day go with him to camp and let him explore with you there. Go to the family welcome aboard party the first night. Its loads of fun, but also gives him a chance to get to know his counselor with you there. Also google photos of the camp and show them to your son ahead of time. Sometimes they allow you to stay a few minutes to acclimate him and sometimes they refuse you. Its different on each ship. I have been allowed in a few times and refused at the half door a few times.

Just remember it is not a "babysitting service" but more of an "activity service". He can stay and play if he is happy, fed, rested etc. They wont feed him, nap him or go out of their way to comfort him in any way. If he is fussy or crying they will call you. Some kids do fine in camp and love it at 2. Others dont want to go at all. Bring extra toys to play with just in case he is with you the entire cruise. My DD wouldnt ever stay in the camp from the ages of 2-4 on multiple sailings multiple tries during the weeks we sailed. She has been in daycare since she was 6 months old but just wasnt comfortable being left with strangers. At about age 4 she started loving it and now I cant keep her out. My DS went at age 2 (his sister was in the same group) and he also attends daycare but now that he is 3 and his sister is no longer in the group they call us often to come get him, it's hit or miss. I just go onboard with the notion that if they go to camp great if not we move to plan B with other activities.

My sister took my niece last year and told me that they have a tv outside of the club where you can watch your child and see how they are doing after you leave. Not sure if this is on every ship but it is on the ship we're going on and it makes me feel better. My kid has never been away from me either.

On the Carnival Pride, there was an open playtime in Camp Carnival for kids and parents each morning prior to the official start of Camp. It was mostly for kids that were too young to stay in Camp Carnival to have some time with the cool toys along with their parents, but we went with DS (age 2.5) to help acclimate him. Even so, he did NOT appreciate being left. He has been in daycare since the age of 7 months.

The first morning, he cried for about 3 minutes (we stayed around the corner out of sight and watched on the TV in the hall) then stopped and started playing. An hour later they called us because he had puked. When we arrived to retrieve him, he was happy as a clam and we suspect that he was over heated because the camp room was very warm and he was in a sweatshirt. Because of the puke, we had to visit the ships doc and couldn't come back to camp for 24 hrs.

When we brought him the next afternoon, we did a quick kiss and go but he still cried for 3 minutes. Overall, Camp Carnival wasn't a huge success for us, but I think that was mostly because the available times didn't work with our schedule.

Our daughter was 2 1/2 when we went on Carnival. She's never been in daycare. The first day we took her to Camp, she tentatively walked into the room, but didn't cry or anything. Later in the cruise, we'd be in our cabin and ask her if she wanted to go to Camp. She'd run for the cabin door, ready to go! She did great and loved it.

If your child has any special needs and you have it documented through Carnival prior to sailing & when you get on board you are allowed to take some time to allow your child to adjust. They don't like to tell people this but we found out after taking our 2 year old (who does have some special concerns) on a cruise & even though she had been in daycare sine 7 months old she cried and cried- 15 min later we would get a phone call to come get her. We asked if we could stay a few to help her adjust and were told the same story that we couldn't be around other people kids. So needless to say that cruise was spent almost entirely trying to entertain her LOL

When a new PVP called us to try & get a cruise scheduled I explained why we hadn't booked another one & she told me that what the crew had told us was incorrect & helped make sure our account was noted. We went on the cruise very apprehensive but turned out great!! This was because not only was the crew WAY more understanding and IMO better with the kids and didn't call us after a few minutes of crying but let our daughter get used to everything and everything. Our daughter ended up loving it and we were so impressed when the main lady in the room was helping with disembarking and our daughter saw her and ran to giver her a hug (she is not affectionate w/people she barely knows).

One other tip that we found worked and stopped all crying at drop off was having my mom and her older brother drop her off.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Archived