Canyon Ranch Unravels Spa Deck Mystery

JimandStan

Our experience on Princess is different than others described. We were on the

Island princess (partial panama canal transit) and were one of the first people

To book a cabanna. Although the 4 cabanas were booked quickly I don't think

They sold out . Certainly there was no one waking up at 5:30am to book.

I don't doubt this happens when there are a lot of kids on the boat and during

Peak cruises (new years, etc) the sanctuary was fabulous and made it one of the

Best cruises, now I'm hoping our first Oceania cruise can top it!

Our experience on Princess is different than others described. We were on the

Island princess (partial panama canal transit) and were one of the first people

To book a cabanna. Although the 4 cabanas were booked quickly I don't think

They sold out . Certainly there was no one waking up at 5:30am to book.

I don't doubt this happens when there are a lot of kids on the boat and during

Peak cruises (new years, etc) the sanctuary was fabulous and made it one of the

Best cruises, now I'm hoping our first Oceania cruise can top it!

You doubts are correct. We were on the Island Princess for New Year's this year on a partial transit. The Sanctuary was packed. Those 4 cabanas were booked before we even got there! And we were first in line to board (but I analyzed what happened with the gangways and back to back passengers after talking with them). I felt bad for new cruisers because they had no idea and were disappointed that they could not book the sanctuary (unless they got up early).

I think based on the pictures from JimandStan that Oceania will top the Princess Sanctuary experience.

Ah, but you are underestimating Oceania. On the larger ships, in addition to whatever you might find on the pool deck, in both sun or shade,

<snip picture>

Deck 16 has scads of Lounge chairs in the sun:

<snip picture>

not to mention both a Sanctuary AND a Patio for more rarefied lounging under cover on Deck 14

<snip picture>

Many people tell me that they are delighted to be able to lounge in the open air, yet out of the direct sun. Nonetheless, the Sanctuary and the Patio are never crowded.

I suppose that being spoilt for choice is one of the blessings of a mid-sized ship.

On our recent Middle East cruise "the Sanctuary", "the Patio" we almost always fully in use except when in port or after late afternoon. They are extremely nice areas to relax out of doors. On Rivieria they have been enclosed to protect the area (and plants) from the high winds tht can whip through there but the designers have wisely added very large sliding windows to open the the area to sea breezes. Very nice. Snoring heard occasionally on a walk-through.

On the pool deck loungers in shade were at a shortage. While the pool deck was frequently full there there were usually loungers available in the sun on the upper deck (14) overlooking the pool deck.

I did not understand why they did not have the covers over the seating outside the Library and Computer room on the upper deck. The canvas like covers invoking images of sails mount on those heavy duty stainless steel supports around the doors on both sides. The seating there was not used very much as it was to hot to sit long in the sun. The lack of shade was a disappointment as that was one of the things I liked about the O ships was the additional outdoor seating in both shade and sun for those who want that.

I think being able to sit in shade and socialize was one reason why the smoking area was always busy. One day we took the only loungers available in shade immediately next to the smoking area. There was a little smell of smoke on occasion but not too bad. It was fairly windy and so it dissipated quickly. A solid divider rather than just visual separator might have helped.

We were entitled to the the Spa deck at no additional charge and visited twice. Once a very quick dip in the pool and the other a little longer but also brief stay. Again too hot for us in the direct sun. On both those visits the area was little used, perhaps two - ten other folks tops. Another sailing at a different time in a different area it might be used much more.

In general loungers both in and out of the sun was much in demand and there was a shortage of those in shade (and sadly a few chair hogs.)

For info, the price charged per day on our Riviera cruise 23/08/12 (just finished, sigh) was $20 per day for one day or $170 for the ten day cruise. There was an intermediate price for five days, but I can't recall it.

LOL, sounds like you got a bargain!

While you were sailing, Canyon Ranch announced standardized prices:

1 day - $25.00

3 days - $60.00

5 days - $100.00

10 days - $175.00

Archived