Skagway - Drive to Emerald Lake - Weather

MichTraveler

Although there can be snow through the White Pass in late May, that won't be the case this year (lows in Skagway are forecast to be in the 48 degree area next week). Well, never say never when it comes to weather in this country, but if it does snow it will just be a few flakes in the morning, and they'll melt quickly. :D

Murray

>>Although there can be snow through the White Pass in late May, that won't be the case this year (lows in Skagway are forecast to be in the 48 degree area next week).<<

It's a good thing that I added "never say never" to that comment. It's 31 degrees at the moment, and the forecast for the Alaska Highway a few hours south of here is for heavy snow (4-5 inches). Welcome to a Yukon summer :D

Murray

Murray you are such a tease.:p How about some updated photos every once in a while. Have I said just how excited I am to be up there in a couple of short weeks????:D I only have 3 more work days left!:D That is probably better for them...they are getting tired of hearing me talk about it anyway! Keep the weather beautiful...Nancy

>>Keep the weather beautiful...<<

I'm trying! I've got a big chain around the sun, and it only slips away for a couple of hours, after it knows I'm asleep. Just like I did when my parents went to bed - always back in the morning, though :D

Murray

Hi Murray!

We are renting a car to drive up to Emerald Lake and would love to have a copy of "Murray's Skagway Guide." :rolleyes: Could you help me out? I booked an Avis car through the Costco website today and got a great price. :D

I also booked a 4 day rental from Alamo in Anchorage with special promo code and have a 4 day midsize reserved for the unbelieveable price of $141.91 including all fees and taxes!! I didn't think that was possible in Alaska!

This planning has been fun, enlightening and a challenge. These message boards are the best! Only 2 weeks to go..........and the Florida gal will see snow!! Summit - June 3 Yea!!!!

That's an incredible deal on the car! And hey, you're in luck again - I just made a deal with Costco, and my guide will be available on their Web site in the next couple of days for only $9.95 :D (but my friends can still print it off for free from http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html )

Have a great trip!

Murray

Hey Blessed again...we have a lot in common. We will be on Mercury leaving on June 3rd and we are also from Florida. I have bugged Murray a few times about wanting to see some snow...he said that he would save a little for me to see! Should be a little still on the ground when we are there. I can't wait! Hope you have a fantastic cruise! Nancy from sunny Sarasota!

We too will be using your guide. THANKS so much for taking the time to compile it!

At first, when we saw it, we thought, "Who is this crazy and has so much time on their hands that they can do this?!?"

But then, we discovered it was you--a native. So--that makes sense!

Looking forward to the trip--and HOPEFULLY seeing snow with our kids (who have NEVER seen it!)

By-the-way, are there any neat kid-friendly things to do along the way?

Thanks!

For those of you renting a car in other Alaska locations: you may want to get the Alaska "Mileposts" book. Same details are the Skagway sample Murray have provided here, but for the rest of Alaska. It is a wonder travel guide.

I just did this drive yesterday with Coral, weather was great. Much less snow on the mountains than my last visit, there was no wind and the lakes were like mirrors. Had a great sandwich at the Cinamon Cache bakery for lunch, then stopepd off in Carcross.

Coral asked for Murray at the visitor center and they said they hadn'd seen him for a couple of days. Coral went and knocked on his door but guess Yukon wasn't home. I took some pictures of the lake, Yukon is that your canoe down by the water?

Great trip on a beautiful day. A bit overcast as we got back to Skagway but the morning was perfect. FYI teh Avis office has moved over a block from teh NPS headquarters.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I did this drive last Friday. The weather was over-cast in Skagway yet beautiful on the road. We saw so many waterfalls! We were fortunate enough to see a bear on the ride home. It was between MM 54 and 55 sitting on the side of the road eating dandelions. It didn't care that we sat in the car and took photos for 10-15 minutes. Wonderful drive!

I did this drive last Friday. The weather was over-cast in Skagway yet beautiful on the road. We saw so many waterfalls! We were fortunate enough to see a bear on the ride home. It was between MM 54 and 55 sitting on the side of the road eating dandelions. It didn't care that we sat in the car and took photos for 10-15 minutes. Wonderful drive!

A friend just got back from the Island Princess and saw the bear also. Their pictures were incredible! They took the bus to the Yukon (first trip to Alaska).

Archived