AT&T cell phone use while on board ???

old fool

Read here and follow the link to select Cunard and then your particular phone.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB66571&cv=820#fbid=Idf5YuqwY75

Basically, yes, but you can run up a big bill. I always disable voice and data to avoid incoming calls, texts and data push. If you need to stay in touch, it's generally more cost-effective to use the ship's Internet service. If you take your own computer, configure your email client to read downloaded messages and compose outgoing messages while offline. Then you'll limit your usage to download/upload times.

It appears that (GSM) AT&T cell phones work while on board ship. Does anyone have experience using their cell phone for voice and/or text while sailing and not in port?

If it is a smart phone turn on Airplane Mode or it will cost you a fortune. Use it as you would any phone, there will be roaming charges for using the satellite but you can text and call. I suggest that you turn it off when not using it. Your calls/texts will be treated as international so you will need to use the +(IDD) before each number, +44 for UK and +1 for US etc.

Read here and follow the link to select Cunard and then your particular phone.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB66571&cv=820#fbid=Idf5YuqwY75

Basically, yes, but you can run up a big bill. I always disable voice and data to avoid incoming calls, texts and data push. If you need to stay in touch, it's generally more cost-effective to use the ship's Internet service. If you take your own computer, configure your email client to read downloaded messages and compose outgoing messages while offline. Then you'll limit your usage to download/upload times.

Thank you Artemis. This is the info that I needed. When abroad, I always disable voice transmission but leave texting active. This allows me to text at a very low rate ($10 for 50 texts/photos/videos -called "Global 50"), and still not incur the very high voice rates.

O F,

AT&T has an International Data Plan (various levels starting-when I did it- at $25 per month. Start right before you leave and cancel as soon as you get back. No cancellation fee. If you do it right, you will only pay one month. Check your local AT&T store or online for the latest on this plan. The above advice about turning off data push is vital as well. Check emails/data manually only.

O F,

AT&T has an International Data Plan (various levels starting-when I did it- at $25 per month. Start right before you leave and cancel as soon as you get back. No cancellation fee. If you do it right, you will only pay one month. Check your local AT&T store or online for the latest on this plan. The above advice about turning off data push is vital as well. Check emails/data manually only.

But that plan won't include the charges for satellite access on board the ship, will it?

Hi, old fool, as per the continuing conversation, I suggest you call AT&T to clarify whether the Global 50 plan you're used to getting on land travels abroad is, in fact, available for the cruise. The last time I checked, they said "no," sea is different than land.... I think AT&T figures we can afford to cruise, they will happily extract premium sea rates from us. :p

Hi, old fool, as per the continuing conversation, I suggest you call AT&T to clarify whether the Global 50 plan you're used to getting on land travels abroad is, in fact, available for the cruise. The last time I checked, they said "no," sea is different than land.... I think AT&T figures we can afford to cruise, they will happily extract premium sea rates from us. :p

Yes, I did call them and they assured me the Global 50 plan, in fact, did cover while on Cunard. That being said; I find that I can get totally conflicting answers when calling AT&T?? If anyone else speaks with them please post the response you get or better yet, has anyone used texting under this plan while on board ship??

Wow! That is good to know...if, as you say, that rep knew what he/she was talking about! I don't see how it makes sense when you do a side-by-side of the detailed Cunard chart and the Global 50 plan, but they don't make it that easy to figure out, do they?!

I hope my continued blather bumps this up again and catches the eye of someone who has recent first hand experience!

Cheers :)

After several conflicting bits of information from AT&T, I think?? I have an answer. The Global 50 plan does not apply while on board ship. Texting is pay per use only (50 cents each). The good news is; incoming text / photo / video is only what you would pay in the US or comes from any domestic package you may have.

Now, if I were confident this information were accurate - fine but.......

I would really like to hear from anyone who has first hand experience with texting while on board (and later being billed) .

We used our cell phones several times in the QM2 and service was great. The cost per minute was $2.49 for AT&T or Verizon. It was pricey but the piece of mind speaking with our kids far outweighed the cost. Text messages were 50 cents to send. Service was flawless unlike the terrible internet service but that is a whole other thread.

We used our cell phones several times in the QM2 and service was great. The cost per minute was $2.49 for AT&T or Verizon. It was pricey but the piece of mind speaking with our kids far outweighed the cost. Text messages were 50 cents to send. Service was flawless unlike the terrible internet service but that is a whole other thread.

Thank you. One last question: was there any charge for INCOMING text messages?

Archived