RSS from SF voyager class Q for you

I read in another post that you stayed in a deck 6 aft cabin... I'll be in 6688 on the explorer.. Would love to hear your thoughts on this balcony..... I've seen bonnie voyagers pix and because we're in an corner aft it (obstruction) doesn't seem to bother me... Still, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

thx... carrie

I read in another post that you stayed in a deck 6 aft cabin... I'll be in 6688 on the explorer.. Would love to hear your thoughts on this balcony..... I've seen bonnie voyagers pix and because we're in an corner aft it (obstruction) doesn't seem to bother me... Still, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

thx... carrie

Hi Carrie P -

Yes I was in the Navigator 6694, the equivalent of which would be the 3rd cabin in from 6688.

I would say if this is your first aft balcony it's a real win -- congratulations on getting one -- and a corner aft, at that!

(I just returned from Navigator cruise #2 last month, and with my great experience on my first aft balcony on Deck 6 I was moved to secure this time a corner aft balcony on Deck 9--Cabin 9390).

Some Pros:

1. Corner Aft Balcony -- This is gold! Remember there are only 10 on this ship!

2. Awesome Privacy -- Only 1 neighbor cabin!

3. Your own mini corridor -- away from the other cabins. (I presume this, because this was the case on Deck 9 -- and I think I remember this on Deck 6 too.)

4. Huge balcony -- much deeper than regular starboard/port side cabins.

5. For all aft balcony cabins yours is a closer walk to the Royal Promenade and the main dining rooms. (I loved this about the Deck 6 cabins.)

6. It's really not very obstructed compared to what is called obstructed on some other ships! From your balcony you can look straight ahead, and on the wall closest to you, you have a huge view cutout which allows you to look to the port side.

7. I prefer your corner to the other Deck 6 aft balconies of the same size. The other, more inward cabins on Deck 6 may be further set in, thus the other cabins may have even less of a view directly to the sides than you would.

Some Cons:

1. Walk is longer to elevators -- but that is for all far aft cabins. I actually welcome the walk.

2. You might feel like the extra deck beyond the railing is a waste of space (I think it's more like a covering for the area below.) I got over this quick when I realized I was spared looking below at other people.

3. Unlike other corner afts, I don't think you're able to stick your head out to look around the corner! (Not such a big deal, because you really can't see much around the corner with the other corner aft balconies on Voyager class, because the aft corners are sloped and drastically rounded.)

4. Yeah I could do with not having the skeletal superstructure on this deck -- but it's surprising how you don't really notice it once you focus on actually admiring the view. You WILL be able to take awesome photos even with the structure as it is. And actually it will give your photos a character and possible frame and point of reference you might not have otherwise.

It really is an awesome cabin. MUCH More Character and More Privacy than most other balcony cabins. If the cabin is already set, your choice is solid. If you're still open and are looking to trade, there's not much more I would trade except perhaps higher up to another corner aft balcony.... ...CORNER AFTS ROCK! :cool:

Happy cruising and again, congratulations!

-RSS-

Thank you so much for responding with such detail on the corner aft balcony... I've posted several threads before finding one with your info and I hoped you'd answer... I'm so glad you did. This is my second cruise, my first on the grand princess... This is going to be my Mom's first cruise as well as my sons. Origionally we were in a balcony cabin on deck 8... I had the opportunity to switch and grabbed the aft... Sounds like I did the right thing.

Again, thanks a million for taking the time ..

Have a great night!

Carrie

Hi RSS

I just looked at your photo from deck 6 aft... It is awesome.... The obstruction doesn't look bad at all...

Thanks again.... Carrie

Hi Carrie P -

Yes I was in the Navigator 6694, the equivalent of which would be the 3rd cabin in from 6688.

I would say if this is your first aft balcony it's a real win -- congratulations on getting one -- and a corner aft, at that!

(I just returned from Navigator cruise #2 last month, and with my great experience on my first aft balcony on Deck 6 I was moved to secure this time a corner aft balcony on Deck 9--Cabin 9390).

Some Pros:

1. Corner Aft Balcony -- This is gold! Remember there are only 10 on this ship!

2. Awesome Privacy -- Only 1 neighbor cabin!

3. Your own mini corridor -- away from the other cabins. (I presume this, because this was the case on Deck 9 -- and I think I remember this on Deck 6 too.)

4. Huge balcony -- much deeper than regular starboard/port side cabins.

5. For all aft balcony cabins yours is a closer walk to the Royal Promenade and the main dining rooms. (I loved this about the Deck 6 cabins.)

6. It's really not very obstructed compared to what is called obstructed on some other ships! From your balcony you can look straight ahead, and on the wall closest to you, you have a huge view cutout which allows you to look to the port side.

7. I prefer your corner to the other Deck 6 aft balconies of the same size. The other, more inward cabins on Deck 6 may be further set in, thus the other cabins may have even less of a view directly to the sides than you would.

Some Cons:

1. Walk is longer to elevators -- but that is for all far aft cabins. I actually welcome the walk.

2. You might feel like the extra deck beyond the railing is a waste of space (I think it's more like a covering for the area below.) I got over this quick when I realized I was spared looking below at other people.

3. Unlike other corner afts, I don't think you're able to stick your head out to look around the corner! (Not such a big deal, because you really can't see much around the corner with the other corner aft balconies on Voyager class, because the aft corners are sloped and drastically rounded.)

4. Yeah I could do with not having the skeletal superstructure on this deck -- but it's surprising how you don't really notice it once you focus on actually admiring the view. You WILL be able to take awesome photos even with the structure as it is. And actually it will give your photos a character and possible frame and point of reference you might not have otherwise.

It really is an awesome cabin. MUCH More Character and More Privacy than most other balcony cabins. If the cabin is already set, your choice is solid. If you're still open and are looking to trade, there's not much more I would trade except perhaps higher up to another corner aft balcony.... ...CORNER AFTS ROCK! :cool:

Happy cruising and again, congratulations!

-RSS-

Thank you so much for responding with such detail on the corner aft balcony...
You're very welcome. Yes you did the right thing -- and you did right for your Mom and sons too. ==> They'll love it!

FYI:

I saw your other thread where one of posters had a bad time on Deck 6. I don't blame him if he was continually bothered by seeing alot of cleaning people putzing aound in front of him. Perhaps his cruise and/or ship was in some kind of unfortunate maintenance mode...

...HOWEVER:

THE probable GOOD NEWS IS... There's a good chance you might not ever encounter anybody there (except occasionally for other guests on their own balconies, not on the outside deck.) We absolutely NEVER NEVER NEVER saw a single person on the deck outside of Deck 6 aft balconies. And we were on a 7 night cruise, with my brothers and Mom spending maximum time in the cabin (except for meals, big shows, and port stops).

[i didn't spend as much time in the cabin as my brothers and Mom -- they were major "cabinbodies" (homebodies) and nappers :rolleyes: ! My youngest brother usually took his naps on a lounger on the balcony, and he never saw anybody on that deck.]

I just looked at your photo from deck 6 aft... It is awesome.... The obstruction doesn't look bad at all...
It gets better -- I looked at my other pictures to see if I could find more balcony shots, and I found a few. I think you'll be pleased....

I'll keep the shots out there at least a couple of weeks or so, just in case you want to download any of the shots for your reference. Enjoy!

I just re-read the other post about the cleaning crew being outside the door.

Hmmm -- maybe he was bothered by cleaning crew outside of the front door of the cabin? That makes maybe more sense -- because there may be a supply closet and crew door in the small corridor that also houses the entry to your corner aft cabin. On Deck 9 that's what I know we had. In that case maybe he still was unlucky. We NEVER saw anybody in the mini-corridor (of the Deck 9 corner aft cabin) either! Lucky us!

Just off the mini-corridor is the intersection of the far aft corridor and (in your case) the far portside main corridor. Maybe that's where there was alot of noisy activity for that particular poster and his cabin. On Deck 9 the only time I saw anybody working at that intersection (which wasn't very often), there was maybe our steward or somebody doing a housekeeping errand (never more than 1 person) -- but nobody was noisy, and we didn't notice any noise at all coming into our cabin.

So I still think you'll be Much More than Okay!!! :D

You are so AWESOME!!!!!!!! Thanks again for taking the time to let me see even more great pix..... I enjoyed them and have no doubts now that I made the right choice.

Another person posted a comment that they even hopped over the ledge to get closer to the edge??????? Whats your thoughts.

Carrie

You're welcome Carrie!

Regarding the deck:

Yep, I wanted to go out there!

-- But I never saw anybody else there, so I didn't want to chance getting caught by the "aft deck police" (just in case they made trespassers walk the plank).

And another consideration when I was in 6694 was that -- if hopping the railing might be a bad thing -- the center cabins are way out in the open and it's really hard to be discreet about being out there.

However:

If somebody in my group had dropped something out there (especially if it was valuable*), I probably wouldn't hesitate to just hop over. Then of course the towel or whatever it is conveniently scoots out over the deck (must have been the wind) to near the edge and being the hero/heroine you scamper over to get it. Oh wow look at the view -- and what an amazing coincidence, I have my camera with me.... [click] [click] [click]

.... Oh wow I had NO IDEA how I got out here. ;)

*[My younger brother's $500 Panama hat comes to mind-- he actually brought it on the cruise and we ended up going slightly down a steep cliff to retrieve it in St Thomas when the wind caught it. oh boy. Yeah it was an awesome hat but fortunately for me I personally think I could get away with a $2.99 baseball cap from Walgreens or maybe a $9.99 Panama-type or umm straw-like hat.]

So there's another potential PRO for cabin 6688 :

• 8. Easier to discreetly hop the railing from a corner aft cabin on Deck 6 to get to the awesome open deck.

Here's my post regarding the deck from a previous thread last year:

You are just the best new friend I have on cc........ Thanks a million. I think my hat already blew over that rail.... Either way it looks awesome and I just cannot wait.

Any more info please keep it coming, I love reading your comments and seeing those great photos.

Carrie

Archived