Some Suggestions for Polite Crusing

vacationman

some interesting ideas have been shared, yes? basically, a "do unto others"...approach to cruising. My biggest issue is the rude smoke generator (as in cigars/cigarettes), Not-To-Be-Outdone by the chair hog! then there's the "a little dab (of fragrance) is never enough".

How about no running and talking loud down the halls at night when people are sleeping......

Although I must admit and henceforth apologize for breaking my own "rule".

Hey when your drunk and the ship is a rocking its kinda hard not to be too loud.

I apologize in advance and will try to stick to my own rule...even when drunk like a skunk.:D

Now remembering that when drunk...another challenge.

I believe the children are our are future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Let them push the button on the elevator, is that so hard?

I believe the children are our are future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Let them push the button on the elevator, is that so hard?

Here we go again ...! :rolleyes: Come on, peeps, Fuggeddaboudit already!

:)

I just thought of another bit of politeness and courtesy that should be remembered.

There are plenty of public rooms as well as outside spaces on the ships. Please do not bring your children with their ice cream into the game room where people are trying to concentrate on their card game, etc. The family I'm referring to took up 2 tables and their children made a huge mess. I didn't speak their language so it was difficult for me to communicate with them as they were abandoning their dreadfull mess as they left the room.

By the way, they have every right to be in that room whether playing a game or not. Just respect the space for what it is intended for. Eat in the restaurant or around the pool.

Not quite that old yet :)

About 15 years younger

Go Aquarians LOL

LOL I was afraid if I was wrong about that being a birthdate, you might be insulted. ;)

You're a great age--I loved being 15 years younger. My body kept up with my mind better! :D

After reading this whole thread, I have decided to add my own thoughts with no individual post responses, but some explanations:

1- When you are in a Speciality restaurant and your child is misbehaving, please do not say " Just let her scream, honey. She will stop eventually" and then when she does not stop ( no surprise) do not smack her in front of everyone. Fine dining restaurants are for adults and extremely well behaved children.

2- Let your children hit the elevator button for the 1 floor you are going to, not all the floors that they can reach.

3- Saving a chair that you will use in 3 hours is rude. No way around it, just rude.

4- Treat crew members and other passengers with respect and dignity. Just because someone cleans your cabin does not make them less of a person.

5- Don't let your teens sit and laugh loudly in the hallway after 11:00. Before 11:00, let the teens have fun hanging out in the hallway together.

6- Hot tubs are for adults and supervised children that are no longer in diapers.

7- Buffett utensils are there for a reason. 'nuff said

8- Do not be afraid to smile at every person you pass in the hallway. It won't hurt you and may make a world of difference to the person you smile at.

LOL I was afraid if I was wrong about that being a birthdate, you might be insulted. ;)

You're a great age--I loved being 15 years younger. My body kept up with my mind better! :D

Not mad at all

Show you're pictures you look younger then me much prettier too :)

After reading this whole thread, I have decided to add my own thoughts with no individual post responses, but some explanations:

1- When you are in a Speciality restaurant and your child is misbehaving, please do not say " Just let her scream, honey. She will stop eventually" and then when she does not stop ( no surprise) do not smack her in front of everyone. Fine dining restaurants are for adults and extremely well behaved children.

2- Let your children hit the elevator button for the 1 floor you are going to, not all the floors that they can reach.

3- Saving a chair that you will use in 3 hours is rude. No way around it, just rude.

4- Treat crew members and other passengers with respect and dignity. Just because someone cleans your cabin does not make them less of a person.

5- Don't let your teens sit and laugh loudly in the hallway after 11:00. Before 11:00, let the teens have fun hanging out in the hallway together.

6- Hot tubs are for adults and supervised children that are no longer in diapers.

7- Buffett utensils are there for a reason. 'nuff said

8- Do not be afraid to smile at every person you pass in the hallway. It won't hurt you and may make a world of difference to the person you smile at.

AMEN, my friend!!! Whenever I am shopping, working, etc., I make it my goal to cause a smile on every face I see. While at the grocery store this weekend, I encountered a sales clerk who just looked angry. As I handed her my money to pay for the groceries, I said, "smile; it increases your face value!" She gave me a big smile and said "thank you....I needed that!" Isn't it a great feeling to know you gave someone else a reason to smile?

Happy Sailing Everyone!!!! :D

I keep reading about the chaise/chair hogs on NCL. Princess has a policy that states if a chaise goes unoccupied for over 30 minutes, it's up for grabs. They actually have signs stating that you can't reserve a chaise or hold it for your own return. They will come around and start removing towels after awhile. Good policy. All the lines should do it. I ask the nearest person how long it's been, and remove the towel if it's over 30 min. Unfortunately, people aren't dumb and sometimes leave personal items, which you don't want to mess with. Does NCL have a policy regarding this, or is it just ignored by rude people?

Kathy

If you're physically fit, and just need to go up and down one floor, use the stairs. (You've probably eaten enough to justify a little exercise.) I might take the elevator if I'm going more than 3 decks up or down, but I'd just as soon not stop at every floor.

The vast majority of postings in this thread pertain to the care and supervision of small children. This illustrates the fact that, for many cruise passengers, the greatest single shipboard annoyance is out-of-control children (perhaps including the teen-age variety). While there is general consensus that very young children are prone to noisy outbursts in public environments, there are few who believe the public at large should be required to endure screaming, uncontrolled children. Public functions -- restaurants, theaters, etc. -- provide parents with golden opportunities to teach proper behavior to children in social situations outside the home, distinct from whatever may be tolerated within the home. This is how children are introduced and integrated into civilized society. To suggest that strangers should grin-and-bear-it may annoy the strangers, but it does a tremendous injustice to the children who are being deprived of invaluable learning experiences through lack of parental supervision and guidance.

How about no running and talking loud down the halls at night when people are sleeping......

Although I must admit and henceforth apologize for breaking my own "rule".

Hey when your drunk and the ship is a rocking its kinda hard not to be too loud.

I apologize in advance and will try to stick to my own rule...even when drunk like a skunk.:D

Now remembering that when drunk...another challenge.

LOL! you crack me up Karla..I wish you were coming next week with us..we'd love to have you with us. :D

"To suggest that strangers should grin-and-bear-it may annoy the strangers, but it does a tremendous injustice to the children who are being deprived of invaluable learning experiences through lack of parental supervision and guidance."

Oh I totally agree. It's a marvelous learning opportunity and parenting moment! Parents need to take action immediately and let the children know the consequences of their actions and remove them from the adult activity.

The child will learn quite quickly, no strangers will be forced to "grin and bear it" and the parent will have the respect, admiration and gratitude of the 'strangers'.

I think we need to send Super Nanny on a few of these cruises to take a look at some of these situations!

" ...

I think we need to send Super Nanny on a few of these cruises to take a look at some of these situations!

Yes! Yes! Yes! Can't you just see/hear it?

To the child: "That behavior is unacceptable! Off to the naughty corner!"

To the parent: "So-and-so, you must get down to eye level, and make your point sternly. Yelling is not acceptable! Speak in a firm voice and explain that this will not be tolerated!"

Oh, SuperNanny is just wonderful! Don't you just love watching these parents finally enjoying time with their children, instead of spending all their time losing their minds!!!!!

I wonder where the Naughty Corner is on most ships? ;)

My children are grown (mostly)**, but I now work with language impaired preschoolers (i.e. children with autism, down syndrome, developmental delays). We treat around 800 children per year. Somebody somewhere is ALWAYS crying. I hardly hear them anymore, as long as they're not crying MY name! :D I always thought crying children upset their parents much more than they upset others - why let it bother you, you don't need to act on it. Just be glad they belong to some else! Tune them out like you do the Muzak in elevators.

Now, the bigger ones running in halls, playing in the elevators or TOUCHing my food, that's a problem! :eek:

**A funny aside, last year on our flight home, the steward commented to DH & me on how well behaved our 'children' were. We burst out laughing - our 'children' were 21 and 18 years old! For heaven's sake, they better know how to behave. He thought they were about 12 & 14!

LOL! you crack me up Karla..I wish you were coming next week with us..we'd love to have you with us. :D

Wish I was going this Sunday also...looks like I am missing you guys by a month. I don't leave until 6/12.

Funny thing is that we almost booked the 5/22 cruise, but the pricing for June was better. Go figure!!!!:rolleyes:

Wish I was going this Sunday also...looks like I am missing you guys by a month. I don't leave until 6/12.

Funny thing is that we almost booked the 5/22 cruise, but the pricing for June was better. Go figure!!!!:rolleyes:

Karla ~ that's ok. I'm cruising with you on the 12th. Our roll call is lacking, though. We need to come up with a catchy name, too :)

:) "If you are well-mannered, you will be welcomed all over the world."

I was traveled all over as a kid from Europe to the other side of the world. I learned a lot. Most of all I learned respect and how to be polite, and to embrace others' cultures and way of doing things. I not only learned what fork to use (ha!) but more importantly to respect others.

Respect your fellow passengers and crew; you will be repaid over and over again!

Enjoy!!

bwahhmary.GIF.f75814143338882f0218a8d437dfd970.GIF

Karla ~ that's ok. I'm cruising with you on the 12th. Our roll call is lacking, though. We need to come up with a catchy name, too :)

LOL...I will try to start thinking of a name. Unfortunately my allergies are killing me today and I am not my usual self.:( Oh well. Tomorrow is yet another day.:D

:) "If you are well-mannered, you will be welcomed all over the world."

I was traveled all over as a kid from Europe to the other side of the world. I learned a lot. Most of all I learned respect and how to be polite, and to embrace others' cultures and way of doing things. I not only learned what fork to use (ha!) but more importantly to respect others.

Respect your fellow passengers and crew; you will be repaid over and over again!

Enjoy!!

This is great. That is the bottom line. When I was a kid having manners drummed into me by my parents, sometimes I would balk. WHY do I have to do THAT! That's STUPID! Because, they said, good manners will take you much farther in life than bad ones. And will make your life easier. This is because good manners are ultimately about OTHER people, and life is not about just you.

"....and life is not about just you."

This is a mantra we should repeat to ourselves everyday about ourselves. When I traveled through Nepal and learned alot about the Buddhist philosophy I was taught that our thoughts and prayers must be global not just for us and our family. We must always consider the impact of our actions on others. It only takes a second...think before you speak.

Is being polite and courteous to fellow passengers on a ship so difficult? Could you imagine walking onto the ship and seeing the lists posted here as you step onto the elevator? Just to remind everyone that "life is not about just you.".

Archived