Live from the Radiance of the Seas Last NB cruise

Icy Strait Point is a destination created by the RCL cruise line and the local Native American group.

P9030001.jpg

Some call it a “fake port.” However we felt it was a very “real Alaska” town. You could see the challenges of living in such a rural setting.

This is a tender port. It is a short ride—maybe 5-6 minutes.

There is a Cannery Museum (not much to see) and gift shop on the tender pier.

IMG_5775.jpg

You can walk to the small fishing village of Hoonah along a scenic beach trail or take a bus from the pier. ($8 one-way)

IMG_5772.jpg

There is a nature trail the goes through the forest starting in Hoonah. Other pax gave it high marks, but we did not take it. I think you will enjoy this port more if you have plans. While there are some vendors on the pier, there are not many.

IMG_5769.jpg

Hoonah is a very small town of around 800 people.

P9030006.jpg

Today we took a whale watch from 10am to 1pm with Icy Strait Whale Adventures. We wanted to have a more personal experience so we independently booked a small boat (6 passengers).

IMG_5768.jpg

Captain Coleen guarantees that you will see whales or you get ½ your money back. This was suggested by one of our Radiance roll call members ( Blonde375-thanks!) By the end of our trip we were cold and tired (in a good way) and headed back to the ship for hot soup.

We loved our whale watch. We saw lots of whales (mostly tails as they breeched the surface), but, I am not an adept enough photographer to get National Geographic type pictures. You will need to take my word for it. J

P9030012.jpg

Two whales--the head of one and tail of the other.

Headandtail.jpg

Tomorrow we are in Juneau--talk to you then!

PS--I am not sure why the text color changes. I will try to figure that out by tomorrow.

Enjoying them all from the comfort of my home computer. Keep em coming!;) Years ago, someone gave my son a whale's tale paperweight. Said to be lucky. I think it is around the house somewhere.:rolleyes:

Yes--they have whale tails made of everything here. (Figurines, salt and pepper shakers and jewelry--I think I will opt for something that sparkles :p)

By the way, our dinner partners only stayed 1 evening. They wanted early seating --so, they switched. Or we ran them off :eek:

Thanks again for another great report and awesome pictures to go with it. I have placed a clock on my computer so that I know what time it is in Alaska. There's a four hour difference in that we are ahead of you.

Yes--that time change is hard to get used to. I am up by 6 each morning. I know that is when many get up to go to work, but, on vacation I try to sleep in. I think I have absorbed 2-3 hours of the change. I will likely be on Alaska time by the time we leave.:eek::p:D (we have 5 days on land after the cruise.)

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Today we took a whale watch from 10am to 1pm with Icy Strait Whale Adventures. We wanted to have a more personal experience so we independently booked a small boat (6 passengers).

I was checking out their website and it did not mention the number of passengers on the excursion. Is six people the maximum that they will take?

I was checking out their website and it did not mention the number of passengers on the excursion. Is six people the maximum that they will take?

Yes--6 is it. That is very tight. One of the seats that hold 2 people is more like 1 1/2. But, we had 6 and it was OK. We moved around the boat--inside and outside.

Septremberr 4, 2012--Today we were in Juneau, Capital of Alaska, and a city of 32, 000 people. That is very big by Alaska standards. 60% of them work in state or federsl government jobs.

It was a cool and rainy morning--but, very beautiful. This was the view as we started our tour with Last Chance tours.

IMG_5787.jpg

First we headed to Douglas Island across the river from juneau. We were able to see the cruise ships.

IMG_5790.jpg

My internet connection keeps ending. So, I will post this and try a new one for more pictures.

OK--I will try again.

We drove through town to see the sites. This is the Alaska Governor's Mansion.

IMG_5784.jpg

Then we stopped at The Log Church on the edge of the National Forest.

IMG_5796.jpg

We visited the Mendenhall Glacier just outside of Juneau.

IMG_5800.jpg

However, the highlight of the morning was seeing the Mama bear and her 2 cubs. They walked just below us as we were on a raised walkway near a creek that contained Salmon. (but, we did not see any) Here is Mama and a cub:

Bear1.jpg

Here are the 2 cubs. They were so cute.

Bear2.jpg

September 5, 2012--Today we are in Skagway. We are very glad it is not raining.(We have been lucky so far on the cruise.) However, the high temp today is predicted to be 53 with 40 mph winds. BRRR! (colder at the summit) To all of you who wonder if you should bring a winter coat, the answer is yes if you cruise in late August and September!

We took a van up--train down tour from Chilkoot tours. We picked this because it leaves at 8:30am and the other way leaves at 7:30am. (I am not a morning person) Also, if it was foggy we hoped it would lift by the time we boarded the train.

There was quite a bit of fog on the mountains, but it did not hide the great views.

I had trouble with the internet yesterday because of the mountains around Juneau. Skagway is situated the same way. I have only gotten 1 photo to load to Photobucket in an hour.:eek::mad: Now I can not get it to paste into the message board. So no pictures today!

We will be at sea tomorrow. But, I will post pictures from all of the sights when I get to Seward.

Stick with me--I stil have a land tour to go.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Which sailing are you on next summer? We are on the July 19th southbound trip. We onlyhave 6 so far - but the number seems to grow by the day.

Sounds like same sailing. We have a great group going with some great amenities this year. I'm really excited. So far about 18 are doing a cruise tour first. Rest are just doing cruise with one or two days in Alaska first. Where are you from?

Teresa

Dragon:

Thanks so much for this review. It is awesome and the pictures make me more excited about my trip by the day. I was thinking of getting ponchos for our whole group. Do you think we will use them? We have 40 people going so far and I bet we get up to 60 before we sail. I don't want to buy 60 ponchos and get them printed if you don't think we will use them. Just wondering your opinion. We go in mid-July.

Also which cruisetour are you on? We have people on a 4 day cruisetour that visits Anchorage, Talkeetna, ALeskya, Denali and Seward, not in that order. LOL. Wondering what cities you are visiting in the interior, but I can wait for you to reveal them as you go. I love the surprise of seeing what you are going to post.

Thanks again.

Teresa

Thank you for helping me relive a wonderful trip (Radiance - 8/3 - 8/10). It was warmer in August, but we had some rain . . . didn't matter and our waterproof shoes were our best friends! We had fabulous weather for our land tour -- were actually among the 30% to see Mt McKinley (Denali), hope that you have the same experience.

Looking at the boat, it appears to be an uninspected vessel. They are limited to 6 paying passengers

Here is more information form the Coast Guard Web Site:

Generally, operations that carry 6 or fewer passengers for hire are referred to as Uninspected Passenger Vessels (UPV), 6 Passenger (pax), or 6 Pack operations. These are your typical charter boat fishing guide or tour boat operations that may use a state numbered boat. UPV operations traveling on navigable waters of the United States under U.S. Coast Guard jurisdiction are not required to be inspected by the Coast Guard. They must comply with minimal federal standards for safety, navigation, pollution prevention and the vessel operator must hold an Operator Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) license issued by the Coast Guard.
From my experience in the dive industry, these are usually just as safe as "inspected" vessels.